Martyisth3b3st

Bench Kovalchuk

73 posts in this topic

I don't care what the excuse is. He is the reason we lost.

He wasn't the reason we lost (Philly dominated, just look at the shot totals), but he is definitely hurt and and he certainly isn't helping us. It really might be better to get a healthy body in there (as long as it's not Boulton or Janssen).

It's pretty clear that he is lacking that explosive speed he usually has. Groin or leg injury?

Simply, no he wasn't and even you know that's wrong. I would never say bench him. The options suck. Just stop using him so much. Dump him to a third line and play him in that role.

Do we really need 'three' threads including the GDT devoted to bashing Kovy? They don't have anyone available that's going to play more than 8-10 minutes at best, and none of them could even get the offensive production of the 30% Kovy we've seen in the playoffs.

And Kovy's not the reason they were utterly dominated the last 45 minutes.

Edited by NJDevs4978

One thing that would help is not have him on the damn penalty kill. Who the hell thought that was a good idea??

Kovy is a presence and that's what's sustaining him. Unfortunately, too many unforced errors and too little hustle. I don't know who's available, but if we sit Kovy for a game or two, what about Tedenby?

One thing that would help is not have him on the damn penalty kill. Who the hell thought that was a good idea??

Exactly. None of that moving forward. You have Parise, Elias, Zubrus, Zajac, Henrique, Carter and Gionta who I would trust in that role.

Kovy is a presence and that's what's sustaining him. Unfortunately, too many unforced errors and too little hustle. I don't know who's available, but if we sit Kovy for a game or two, what about Tedenby?

I sort of agree but playing hockey myself and having a pulled groin like 5 times wont matter, one little tweak a couple days later and its back to square one. Needs a month minimum. Only reason he is not sitting is because he is out there they still have to respect his shot. The options do suck but we NEED more speed.

I really don't know how kovy was the primary reason why we lost be like everyone had said it is obvious something is wrong with him physically.

Anything short of him having a broken back he is still a better option than anyone sitting unless you want to play with seven defenseman and put in larsson and even then I have my doubts with that

c'mon now. do you think ilya kovalchuk will be benched? lets think through our ideas before starting a thread...

His hip or groin, whichever it is, is going to pop at some point anyway, so you're of that mind, just wait it out. He had a real awkward skating move in Game 7 where he had to go laterally, and I thought that was it right there.

He does need to learn how to clear the zone, though. That was particularly ugly, even on the last play he could have stayed on the board and jammed the puck up, he peeled off instead. The same play that got Larsson benched for the rest of the season. :lol:

Anyone who thinks Kovy is THE reason why we lost needs to get their head examined. When you get outshot 30-11 in the last couple of periods, take stupid penalties like no tomorrow and give up ENGs you're not going to win.

Sup mayday, who are you?

Okay, maybe he isn't the only reason we lost. But he's a major factor. If he plays like he played in the regular season for just one shift the outcome of the game may have changed. He generated nothing, missed on everything, and was one of the key players at fault on 2 of the Flyers goals (didn't cover his point in overtime, and turned it over pretty horrificly on the Briere breakaway). The simple fact is, he was the worst player on the ice today. If he comes out like this in game 2, I don't want to see double digit minutes.

He is not the reason we lost but Kovi is playing so soft right now it is killing me. I rather see Bernier play in his spot and just use Kovi for the power play. The man can not move out there right now. Our overall lack of team speed is really showing thur, especilly our D men. Time for Lou to pull a Holmgrem this summer and make some moves for a younger faster team. Our D get beat to the outside so often now I can't keep track. Maybe time to get Larsson some playoff exp. Can't be any worse than Volchenkov flopping around out there.

I hate to point fingers but Marty tossed that win in the gutter by that bonehead pass out to center of the slot.

Sup mayday, who are you?

Okay, maybe he isn't the only reason we lost. But he's a major factor. If he plays like he played in the regular season for just one shift the outcome of the game may have changed. He generated nothing, missed on everything, and was one of the key players at fault on 2 of the Flyers goals (didn't cover his point in overtime, and turned it over pretty horrificly on the Briere breakaway). The simple fact is, he was the worst player on the ice today. If he comes out like this in game 2, I don't want to see double digit minutes.

he must be injured and in that case he should be out but who do you put in without taking away the ability of rolling 4 lines that can actually play the game?

i do agree though. im going to assume he is injured and in that case he should be playing only the power play where he can still be effective.

but at the end of the day he wont be benched. he played like this last round and he wasn't benched. no reason for him to be benched now.

Edited by Mayday

I hate to point fingers but Marty tossed that win in the gutter by that bonehead pass out to center of the slot.

no, he didn't. They had like 35 shots and 25 scoring chances. if that doesn't happen or he makes two saves or he makes the first save and someone decides to play defense, something else ends up going in.

In the regular season, there's an argument that Kovalchuk was the best penalty killing forward in the league. Even without his burst, he's decent at getting sticks into lanes and closing on defenders.

He plays the last 30 seconds or so against the 2nd units too, so it's not a big deal. That wasn't the soft part of his play, maybe it was and I missed it, I dunno, I slept through the first two periods. His play along the boards clearing the zone was piss poor, but really everyone's was, which is why Marty played the puck so damn much.

In the regular season, there's an argument that Kovalchuk was the best penalty killing forward in the league. Even without his burst, he's decent at getting sticks into lanes and closing on defenders.

He wasn't injured then. Now they should be looking to limit his time.

If you bench a guy like Kovy it sends a message to the rest of the team. He's a liability right now.

I agree with what you all are saying. kovy makes the plays that cause the rush the other way. hes not playing the team game. He should be our best player but is soo careless sometimes. I see why atlanta never won with him and hope we don't have the same fate and he can fix his mental lapses. He without doubt has metal lapses. besides that we preformed tonight and once again a couple calls that had to be made although i don't like the delay of game rule. Maybe make it a minute penalty for that. but then that would open up a whole nothing door for how many minutes each penalty is. the team played well and we just needed so offensive rush. Lets get the next one and go back to nj 1-1.

wish we won cause now i have to deal with my immature ass philadelphian gf. doesn't know the first thing about hockey. maybe one day she will.

Go devils!!!