Giroux

AEWHistory

Okay, I know I will get flamed, so I am donning my flame retardant suit. The fact of the matter is that while the Devs have usually had better luck building from within, and have generally tried to do so, there are some notable exceptions, such as Scott Stevens. I don't think the Giroux and Stevens are the same sort of player, not at all, but they can have the same sort of impact: they are game changers and they are passionate. It could cost us a fortune--up to four 1st rounders--but if it brings us back to advancing far into the playoffs then those first rounders won't be terribly valuable anyway. In any event, come 2014 he is a RFA, so I -think- we can offer him a contract, but I am not sure. The RFA limitations in the NHL are very confusing. So what do you guys think. Seems to me that this becomes a particularly attractive option if we lose Parise.

As a side note, if we offer Giroux a contract I think it would be a win-win. Either we get him or force the Cryers to sign him for Even more money. Either way, works for me..... I would love to snag a major player from a rival for once.

So can we do it? And if so, should we?

I know it seems like it is too far in the future, but it really isn't. If we are to make a play for someone who will cost what he will want, or another game changer, then that will dictate who we sign and pass on in the next year or two. However, I take your meaning.

As for letting him go or keeping him, I absolutely agree that the Flyers will try to keep him. But they will have the same restrictions as everyone else. In two years the silly mistakes that Lou has made will be off the books and, hopefully the ownsership will be stable. So I think we could offer a cost prohibitive contract. Of course, if it is cost prohibitive for them, it probably will be for us unless we get really creative. This is why I wonder if we would need to carefully lay out how to reconstruct the Devs in the next couple years. Marty will be gone, Zach will either be gone or signed long-term, and so on.

Anyway, that is how I look at things.... Maybe not others.

Edited by AEWHistory

There's no way on earth this ever happens. Giroux will get a lifetime contract real soon if the Flyers are smart.

I have strong doubts that the age of the mega-long contracts will continue. Look at Cindy Crosby. S/he was dominant one day, spent almost a year out the next, and is now on the cusp of becoming the second coming of Eric Lindros. If Scott Stevens was still playing Crosby would be finished. That can happen to any player, but it is a disaster if it happens to a player with a ten year contract. Otoh, if it is just a short term contract then the flyers would simply be raising his cap number without much gain for themselves. I could be wrong, but I actually don't see this happening.

What happens between the NHL and PA this fall will play a role in determining contracts and sign-ability for Giroux and others in the future. For that and other reasons (like how far in the future this is) it's hard to wrap one's head around this idea of a team like us snapping up Giroux. Also, I would imagine the Flyers would move all possible obstacles to keeping their man. It's cooler when you keep your own guy than when you take somebody else's.

There's no way on earth this ever happens. Giroux will get a lifetime contract real soon if the Flyers are smart.

If Giroux's not a lunkhead, he'll at least insist on a NMC before signing the deal so they can't Jeff Carter him into oblivion.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'd wager Giroux signs a contract before July 1st..

There is no way the Flyers let his contract status reach RFA/UFA. They will extend his contract way before then. That said the CBA ends this September so I don't expect anyone to sign anyone long term until GM's know what the new rules are.

I'm still scratching my head as to why the NHL and NHLPA decided that the current CBA expires in September instead of June 30th of this year. So basically this summer is going to be confusing as hell. Guys signed on July 1st could have contracts that COULD be tossed out when a new CBA goes into place.

Edited by Eztarget

There is no way the Flyers let his contract status reach RFA/UFA. They will extend his contract way before then. That said the CBA ends this September so I don't expect anyone to sign anyone long term until GM's know what the new rules are.

I'm still scratching my head as to why the NHL and NHLPA decided that the current CBA expires in September instead of June 30th of this year. So basically this summer is going to be confusing as hell. Guys signed on July 1st could have contracts that COULD be tossed out when a new CBA goes into place.

It's in neither side's interest to toss out signed contracts - that would quickly become a giant bone of contention.

I expect Crosby to be signed to a very long term deal this summer, among other players.

Offersheets are rare enough to the point that there's almost an unwritten rule that you don't do it, unless it's clear that the current team doesn't have the means to re-sign (think Niemi with Chicago). There are exceptions of course, but generally it isn't done.

Don't get me wrong, I think Giroux is good enough that he would be worth the four first rounders you would have to give up (assuming that the new CBA doesn't alter the current RFA rules) especially if you're confident that all of those picks will be below number 15. It's a moot point though, since the Flyers would undoubtedly match anything any other team offers him.

I would also note that there weren't any teams chomping at the bit to give an offer sheet to Stamkos.

It's in neither side's interest to toss out signed contracts - that would quickly become a giant bone of contention.

I expect Crosby to be signed to a very long term deal this summer, among other players.

My point is this summer is going to be a very very weird summer because GM's have no idea what the new rules will look like after the new CBA is signed.

If you tender Giroux an offer this will do nothing but piss off the Flyers. They will not let him go to a division rival. Lou won't do it because the Flyers would make him pay dearly with any RFA Devils that are woth a dam. The Flyers have enough money they can play games with the Devils, lets remember they were always top three teams spending wise before the salary cap.

If you tender Giroux an offer this will do nothing but piss off the Flyers. They will not let him go to a division rival. Lou won't do it because the Flyers would make him pay dearly with any RFA Devils that are woth a dam. The Flyers have enough money they can play games with the Devils, lets remember they were always top three teams spending wise before the salary cap.

Lou finds offer sheets not kosher, so I doubt he tries to sign an RFA that could potentially cost multiple 1st rounders when we still have to give one up soon.

I honestly don't think these are considerations. First of all, as a poster mentioned before, if the first rounders were low (I'd say 20 or after) then I would say Giroux would be worth four first rounders. After all, look at what four 20+ first rounders would get you. If you are VERY lucky/good you can get a player like Zach Parise about one out of four times I'd wager; so it is essentially a wash, although I would have to admit, reluctantly, that Giroux is better than Zach will ever be. Now the fact we have to give up a first rounder soon hurts, but remember that tendering Giroux would come in 2014, so we would be able to take this into account.

As for pissing off the Flyers, I dare say so what? They might have been able to out spend us before the cap, but these are the days of the cap and we all live under the same limitations. As for them messing with us, this doesn't much worry me either. I honestly don't think that whether we attempt to sign Giroux to an offer sheet will affect how the Flyers conduct their business. after all, when the Rags stole Gomez did we try to raid their roster? Not trying to sign Giroux will gain us zero brownie points with the Flyers and trying to sign him will irk them momentarily. IMHO, you are thinking like a fan and the fans will carry a grudge if we pulled this off.... The Flyers front office would simply carry on.

Say what you want about their questionable IQ level, but Flyers fans are rabid and enormous in numbers. Players like that, like playing in front of that, like having that have their back. It also means endorsement money as well. I can't see why he would go from the Flyers to the Devils, I honestly can't see why any player would. Go from a packed house for an Oilers game to partially filled with Rags fans for a Rags game?

I think the Flyers will make him happy and he won't get to RFA or UFA any time soon.

Edited by jim777

How about instead of thinking about signing him we just start hitting him frequently and often and see how good he is when his is limping around

c'mon people ... it's the playoffs... f-anyone on the other team