Ray Ferraro = Lame

oofrostonoo

On that ESPN live Q&A Ray Ferraro made a stupid little comment about the Devils...

paul new jersey: why is hockey so bad right now

Ray Ferraro: (8:19 PM ET ) Well, Paul, we're all just thankful we're not watching the Devils put us to sleep this year.

I though a 7 Game series was pretty good?

That's what I'm liking.... the media people that spit on hockey so much, drove it right into the ground, and now they are finding that now that they have successfully killed the sport, they better get used to working at used car lots.

That's what I'm liking.... the media people that spit on hockey so much, drove it right into the ground, and now they are finding that now that they have successfully killed the sport, they better get used to working at used car lots.

You make an excellent point here Don. There's nothing wrong wih the game, it's the coverage or lack thereof that is killing it. It's all about marketing and exposure and the NHL gets neither. Put these guys in the used car business and they'll kill that too.

so now you're blaming the media for making hockey into a boring sport? the media didn't come up with the trap or stop calling the rules, they just report what they see, and that's a sport in crises.

so now you're blaming the media for making hockey into a boring sport? the media didn't come up with the trap or stop calling the rules, they just report what they see, and that's a sport in crises.

Actually, 7, the team that introduced the trap in full effect in the NHL was the Devils. You must REALLLY, REALLLY hate that team.

As for the rules, I just got the NHL Network. Lots of old games on there. Guess what? The only penalties I see being called are when a player falls to the ice.

The sport ate itself. Hockey media says hockey is bad. Hockey fans start believe the mantra. Hockey media is out of a job.

Other sports try to sell themselves. Hockey tries to defeat itself.

(well not that I find good defense boring.. but anyway... going with the rules of the post)

hockey is trying to break through into the mainstream US Sports Fan... mister normal

average Joe Citizen... this is the typical idiot that believes everything he hears on TV,

buys his 2.5 Chia Pets cause he liked the commerical that showed him how to grow

fungus in a pot :P .... and believes ESPN when 72-70 is great basketball and listens even

more when all he hears about a sport he's never watched is all about boring, chance

free trap-fests that are unwatchable with an occasional Todd Bertuzzi type hit and

knows nothing else about the game and with the wonderful shining glowing example of

how the game is portrayed in the media... no good articles ever written/talked about

on TV or Sports Radio.. then that is what average Joe Idiot Sports fan will believe....

and it adds to why this sport will never get out of the sh!tter it's in... did I even mention

the only other talk is of impending labor doom ??? :rolleyes:

perception is reality..... *sigh*

The sport ate itself. Hockey media says hockey is bad. Hockey fans start believe the mantra. Hockey media is out of a job.

You have it backwards Don, hockey fans went to the media saying it's bad. Plus the hockey media are fans themselves. People are not so dumb as to enjoy boring hockey, what do you think without a media people wouldn't realize there sport has become crap?

Bettman went over the top trying to sell the sport in the late 90's, nobody bought it, for good reason.

A couple of weeks back I was flipping through and saw Ferraro and some NBA guy debating which sports have the best Playoff. They bantered back and forth, and in the end NBA guy said the NBA had the best, and Ferraro said that the NFL has the best Playoff...way to stick up for your sport Ray. :rolleyes:

Plus the hockey media are fans themselves.

I tend to disagree I see alot of the people who constantly write negative articles and bad mouth the game as sports media forced to cover the game, atleast here in the States.

Ferraro actually said the NFL has the best playoffs? Thats insane, even people who hate the NHL will admit the NHL is at worst 2nd best to the NFL so there is no way a hockey analyst should ever say the NHL is not the best. Most people who know I'm a hockey nut tell me they hate the NHL but will sit down and watch a playoff game because of how much heart is shown during the games.

-Scott

Ferraro actually said the NFL has the best playoffs?  Thats insane, even people who hate the NHL will admit the NHL is at worst 2nd best to the NFL so there is no way a hockey analyst should ever say the NHL is not the best.  Most people who know I'm a hockey nut tell me they hate the NHL but will sit down and watch a playoff game because of how much heart is shown during the games. 

-Scott

Well a lot of people say the baseeball playoffs are good and 2nd best. They all are good in their different way.

Hockey ahs the intense seven game war where you hate everyone on the other teams guts...The OT's.

Football..Is the simple the greatest sport. One game anything cxan happen. OT in Football rules. Game winning field goals.

Baseball it is hard to explain but last year anyone who watched the Cups-Marlins and Yankees-Red Sox can tell you that is what baseball is all about.

Basketball. With all the dynasties in Baasketball their hasn't been many good playoffs but this year has to be the bes tin a while.

Edited by devilsrule33

Actually, 7, the team that introduced the trap in full effect in the NHL was the Devils. You must REALLLY, REALLLY hate that team.

As for the rules, I just got the NHL Network. Lots of old games on there. Guess what? The only penalties I see being called are when a player falls to the ice.

Gee and all along I thought it was the CANADIENS that introduced the trap in full effect :noclue: have to make a note to discuss this with Lemaire and Robinson ;)

Gee and all along I thought it was the CANADIENS that introduced the trap in full effect :noclue: have to make a note to discuss this with Lemaire and Robinson ;)

That's why I didn't just say "introduced". Lemaire says that his trap is a variation on the defensive system the Canadiens used in the 70's but is more related to the trap that was created in Sweden (so they wouldn't get their butts kicked annually by the USSR) and used throughout Europe....

Lemaire did use his new system from time to time when he coached the Canadiens and Perron used it sparingly when Lemaire was in the front office in Montreal, but it wasn't perfected (ie "in full effect") until the Devils got ahold of it.