GDT SCF GAME 1: NEW JERSEY DEVILS VS. KINGS

ZeroGravityFat

I know we've had a long time between series, but I guess people already forgot we were down 1-0 to the Flyers AND Rangers. Plus we have a winning OT record (4-2) this postseason, for once. I know people say there's more urgency to win Game 2 because it's a home series but after this team's postseason run they deserve a lot more slack than the trolls saying 'no killer instinct again'.

Yeah but there are two things you can never get back. The spoken word and The missed opportunity. The stage was set for some great dramatics and the guys didn't capitalize on it. Could have been an opportunity to solidify the fans, the city etc. They had their chances but seemed hesitant. I sure hope they get some fire after this because you know the Kings have...

Yeah but there are two things you can never get back. The spoken word and The missed opportunity. The stage was set for some great dramatics and the guys didn't capitalize on it. Could have been an opportunity to solidify the fans, the city etc. They had their chances but seemed hesitant. I sure hope they get some fire after this because you know the Kings have...

As even DeBoer said, the Devils didn't deserve to win anyway. The Kings dominated the first two periods a lot more than the shot total suggested, never mind the tie score. And Marty had to make a couple of spectacular saves in the third just to get it to OT.

Marty continues to make some terrific saves but he still is allowing at least a softie per game during the playoffs.

Too many Devils players took tonight off, Kovy, Zidlicky, Clarkson, & Fayne.

We will win game 2 at home.

BTW the Kings didn't look that great they had problems as well.

Hope we didn't blow our load beating the Rags. :huh:

They might have blown their load in general, they weren't even that good in Game 5 and for much of Game 6 against the Rangers. We'll find out in Game 2, when you know they'll give their best effort. Another game like this and they're clearly running on empty.

they need a boost again from a bencher, tallie or larsson for a game would be a nice kick in the butt of the team to let them know they are slacking.

One OT loss and now the team is slacking and needs a kick in the butt?

I think that the Kings and Devils are even matches for each other. It's probably going to come down to who makes the least mistakes.

Tonight the Devils made the mistake in OT.

But anytime a game goes 1-1 to OT I find it really hard to say one team or the other blew it or anything else.

I really expect a 6 or 7 game close series. As long as its the Devils skating around with the Cup after, I'll be happy.

Really. . . While we had several players not show up tonight this game was there for the Devils to still win which realy tels me alot. the main thing being the Kings didnt look great either. . .

Fayne misses wide open net, Clarkson misses open net shoots over thegoal, etc. We had many opportunities to win this game even though being outplayed for several stretches. When the Devils decided to play a bit late in the second and early third the Kings had no answer. . .

Remember we lost game one to the Flyers and game 1 tot h Rags and were down 3 - 2 to Florida. LaST NIGHT DOES NOT SPELL gLOOM BY ANY STRETCH!!!

• Like 1

I think the issue here is that we lost game 1 at home. I do not worry about having to go into LA and take a game. We now need to beat a team who is VERY confident on the road with a perfect 9-0 record in the playoffs. If we go down 2-0, it will be very hard for this team to come back.

That being said we have tickets to game 5, and I want to see a series clinch, so lets go devils, 4 in a row!

Some people will never be satisfied. Yeah it was a loss. IN GAME 1 OF THE FINALS. How many people honestly saw the devils even close to this? I'm just enjoying this all. It's a great situation and it's far from over.

And yeah the first goal was a little soft, but why is no one getting on Greene for panicking and freezing behind the net and turning the puck over? That was a weak play from a veteran.

Why not? I mean we lost game 1 to the Flyers in OT and this game kinda felt the same way. We got dominated for periods 1 and 2 but we still found a way to be tied after 2. Then we dominated periods 3 and OT for the most part but lost because of a defensive breakdown and a nice breakaway goal by Kopitar.

I think it will less of a kick in the butt and more of a slight ajustment a la putting Larsson in for games 2-5 in the Philly series to match better against the Kings. I have a feeling Zids might take a rest the next game.

Edited by DevsMan84

We might get smaller but what about Sykora in for Clarkson. I mean Clarkson hasn't really done much as of late, and Sykora can shoot and we were anemic last night on shots.

Not sure about that. Kings are a big and fast team. While Clarkson is slow, he is big while Sykora is just small and slow.

I am pretty certain that Clarkson is and has been playing injured but not sure if Sykora would do any better.

Edited by DevsMan84

Man was I pissed :argh: and not at the fact that we lost but how we lost, I dont remember ever seeing a guy in the playoffs take 1 stride at the blue line and coast his way in on a breakaway.. wow

and what was Green doing a 2 step for behind the net on goal 1.. simple play move that puck and it never happens.

2 self inflicting goals hurt.

However even though we lost I can take many positives out of that game, like how many chances did LA actually create compared to NJ.. missed opportunities on our behalf.. but it happens

I was more worried after losing game 1 to NYR than last night

offensively its what I expected from LA, not much .. we've got this !!!

We had the game winning goal on our sticks 3 times and all 3 times we squeezed it a bit too hard and shanked the puck.

That's as encouraging of an SCF loss as we're going to get. Devils take game 2 handedly, split the 2 in LA, and come back here with home ice advantage and a 3 game series.

I like our chances. Devils in 6. Still.

I believe.

This is how I see the series playing out.

1. I saw this coming when Zidlicky got caught pinching.

2. Zubrus looked so slow. At least dive and try to get a stick on him. Penalty shot would be OK with me. This isn't some pickup game where nobody cares if you back check.

3. Dammit Marty, stay on your feet, don't paddle down when he's still at the dots.

Marty continues to make some terrific saves but he still is allowing at least a softie per game during the playoffs.

Which of the one-timer in the slot and the breakaway do you consider a softie?

1. I saw this coming when Zidlicky got caught pinching.

2. Zubrus looked so slow. At least dive and try to get a stick on him. Penalty shot would be OK with me. This isn't some pickup game where nobody cares if you back check.

3. Dammit Marty, stay on your feet, don't paddle down when he's still at the dots.

Can't blame Marty at all for the breakaway goal but that one-timer is a shot he saves on a regular basis. Marty and Greene share the blame on that one.

The biggest takeaway for me from this game is that Quick is not super-human that the media is making him out to be. He looked shakey and predictable quite often and I think the Devils players and coaching saw and expected this.

Not to pick on Marty -- because he's the best -- but did anyone think he flopped on that penalty?

He did a little.

Lately I've been getting kinda pissed at Clarkson because he has been flopping all over the ice the last 2 series and now I'm at my breaking point with him. He is going back into his mode where every time someone touches him he is searching for the ref immediately after with his "where was the call!?" face on him instead of getting back into the play.

Zubrus has been starting to do this too a little bit.

Exactly, thats what I was saying last night. How are you putting the 1st goal on Marty when it took a defensive breakdown behind the net and a one-timer to a wide open guy in the slot. It's just not fair. I'm sure he would love to have that one back, but you could say that of any goal really. The defense dropped the ball there and on the breakaway. If we play a more solid defensive game and the likes of Zidlicky, Greene, Harrold, et al actually play defense I dont see why we cant quickly turn the series back in our favor.

Another thing you cant have the captain of the team, the number 1 or 2 goal scorer, fan on a empty net shot its just unacceptable. Don't get me started on I cant hit the net David Clarktard. Fayne gets a pass because quite frankly I dont expect him to score lol.

Devils in 6

Edited by njdevils783

I can't believe I feel this way after being badly outshot (and only registering like 20 shots on goal all game), but the Kings stole that game. We missed at least 4 wide open scoring chances that need to get buried. The ice was terrible last night with the high humidity in the area. Pucks bouncing everywhere. But that's no excuse.

Game 2 is now crucial. You can't go to LA down 0-2.