‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Well the Twins have Joe Mauer who is a Minnesota guy, but he is declining in productivity

And this is exactly the danger. Mauer signed for a giant contract despite playing a position where players tend to break down early. If Parise goes to Minnesota, he has to be ready to be the hometown hero who couldn't make it happen.

I mean, Yeo's coaching philosophy is diametrically opposed to what Parise wants. I understand that coaching is impermanent, but it's going to be a conflict right away.

And this is exactly the danger. Mauer signed for a giant contract despite playing a position where players tend to break down early. If Parise goes to Minnesota, he has to be ready to be the hometown hero who couldn't make it happen.

I mean, Yeo's coaching philosophy is diametrically opposed to what Parise wants. I understand that coaching is impermanent, but it's going to be a conflict right away.

Do you think Parise can handle it though? I know Marty always said that he never wanted to play in Montreal because of the pressure from being there. I feel kind of bad for Parise because he is probably overwhelmed with all the offers and situations presented to him

I was talking to Holik about the Minnesota thing, and we both agree. Why would he go to Minny for other than the money. They have never been good, aren't good now, don't play good hockey, he'd be starting from scratch there. Yes the money would be good, but is it good enough to be miserable losing, in front of the home crowd who everyone you ever grew up with coming out of the woodwork to ask for tickets, charity, and whatever else.

I was talking to Holik about the Minnesota thing, and we both agree. Why would he go to Minny for other than the money. They have never been good, aren't good now, don't play good hockey, he'd be starting from scratch there. Yes the money would be good, but is it good enough to be miserable losing, in front of the home crowd who everyone you ever grew up with coming out of the woodwork to ask for tickets, charity, and whatever else.

Continuing the baseball connections, I remember when Mark Teixeira was wooed by Baltimore for similar reasons. He passed for the same reason. I'd be really surprised if Zach ended up in Minnesota. Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and NJ seem like the only plausible destinations.

Interesting. Does he have any opinions about where this is headed, or what is going on behind the scenes?

Continuing the baseball connections, I remember when Mark Teixeira was wooed by Baltimore for similar reasons. He passed for the same reason. I'd be really surprised if Zach ended up in Minnesota. Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and NJ seem like the only plausible destinations.

I'm also pretty sure that Baltimore wasn't offering him nearly the same amount of money as the Yankees or Red Sox were.

Interesting. Does he have any opinions about where this is headed, or what is going on behind the scenes?

Not really. Our conversations mirror the ones on here we are all having.

He thinks all of the money being thrown at these players is crazy, ironically, I guess.

Not really. Our conversations mirror the ones on here we are all having.

He thinks all of the money being thrown at these players is crazy, ironically, I guess.

He'd be a true first-hand experience expert on it.

WOAH WOAH WOAH

How do you know Holik?

Fill the rest of us in here, please.

Thanks

Was watching a bit of NHL Network to atone for my sins earlier. They had a brief discussion about Semin. Did you guys know he's a career +83? That's pretty good for a player whose on a team not known for their defense. I'm kind of warming to the idea that if Zach leaves Lou should take a charge at Semin 30 seconds after he hears the news of Zach's departure. He's a RW and we could use a RW.

BTW, it appears that in the past several seasons once one of our elite players hits the bricks that we get caught unawares. do you guys think Lou has reached out to guys like Semin yet just to see what they are asking and if they have any shines to coming to NJ?

WOAH WOAH WOAH

How do you know Holik?

Fill the rest of us in here, please.

Thanks

He does a podcast with him called Holik on Hockey. It's pretty good.

Honestly im so clueless of whats gonna happen... I also have mix feelings about it

I know that if we get him its gonna be a massive overpayment and it me bite our asses... If he sign somewhere else it sucks but we may dodge a bullet there too... At this point who knows?

Was watching a bit of NHL Network to atone for my sins earlier. They had a brief discussion about Semin. Did you guys know he's a career +83? That's pretty good for a player whose on a team not known for their defense. I'm kind of warming to the idea that if Zach leaves Lou should take a charge at Semin 30 seconds after he hears the news of Zach's departure. He's a RW and we could use a RW.

Of course I want Parise back and would be disappointed if he went elsewhere but the idea of getting Semin as a back up plan for less years and money is appealing. We all know Parise is going to get more than he is worth and there are reasons to worry about how fast he could decline as he ages. Semin could be a lower risk option when its all said and done. I will be disappointed if the Devils walk away with neither player.

Semin might be willing to sign on for a 3-5 year deal or somewhere in that range. Depends on what he wants (money or security). He signed a couple 1 yr deals with the Caps.

There's the threat of going back to Russia, but something makes me think Semin wants to shut up all his critics and the constant nonsense he's had thrown his way here before doing so.

Semin might be willing to sign on for a 3-5 year deal or somewhere in that range. Depends on what he wants (money or security). He signed a couple 1 yr deals with the Caps.

There's the threat of going back to Russia, but something makes me think Semin wants to shut up all his critics and the constant nonsense he's had thrown his way here before doing so.

Can I speculate further and say that the Devils have been in talks with Semin and are ready to pounce if Zach signs somewhere else?

Semin's got his issues, but the total absence of even a twitter rumor about him is a bit puzzling to me.

Can I speculate further and say that the Devils have been in talks with Semin and are ready to pounce if Zach signs somewhere else?

Semin's got his issues, but the total absence of even a twitter rumor about him is a bit puzzling to me.

Well it's kind of the perfect Plan B storm. I don't need to bring it up again(this is the millionth time), but Kovalchuk wasn't exactly a two-way stalwart until he got to NJ. We've already got the track record of making his game stronger.

I think he might just be waiting for Parise to sign so he can capitalize on the marketplace as the best remaining forward (and probably by a mile at that when a 40 yr old Jagr is next).

If Parise goes elsewhere, I think the Wings and Devils would be two possibilities. Semin seems to prefer playing on teams that have another Russian and at least some other European guys.

Believe he was linked to Detroit early on July 1, but nothing since then. Remember, according to TSN he's only the 7th best UFA player out there.

Edited by Triumph

I'm at the point where if we have to go with Semin on a long-term deal, whatever. There's a good locker room in place, coaching's solid, Kovy's already assimilated and would likely be the C next year if Zach walks. If there's any team that can take a risk like this it's the Devils I suppose. Plus after the public immasculation he got on TSN he might be hungry to prove people wrong.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think he might just be waiting for Parise to sign so he can capitalize on the marketplace as the best remaining forward (and probably by a mile at that when a 40 yr old Jagr is next).

If Parise goes elsewhere, I think the Wings and Devils would be two possibilities. Semin seems to prefer playing on teams that have another Russian and at least some other European guys.

Detroit looks like an Ingmar Bergman movie with all the Swedes they have.

Yea, said the same thing earlier. I don't think theres any question that Semin is waiting to pick up Zach's scraps and guys like Carle are doing the same with Suter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.