Daniel

‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

MadDog2020    1,794

Last 12 months? I bet they were talking about it during Draft Day, 2003. 'Hey, when we become NHL stars, let's play on the same team, okay?'.

I bet Zidlicky was talking about coming to New Jersey with Elias, Zubrus, and Sykora when he went on vacation with them as a member of the Wild. Guess Zidlicky was probably having wild group sex with them, also. What a snake in the grass.

Other than suggest sticking to the sabremetrics, I really don't know what to say about this post.

CMONPETEYD    7

The problem i have in this whole thing, after mulling it over for the better part of 8 hours is the way that Lou handles his free agents generally. Over the course of the last 10 years or so, I think the Devils more than any other team have had more high level free agents go to July 1. Lou plays with fire. Sometimes we get the guy, sometimes we lose the guy. In this case we lost. How many teams let there top players go to July 1? Name the last top Ranger to hit July 1, and if there is 1, there may not be more than 1. I just don't feel like the way we do business is generally the right way. We don't have the glam and glitz of some NHL cities, but we have a winning tradition which is tough to come by and a great selling point. I am just soured by the whole thing and i think this happens to the devils more often then any other team.

And yet we continue to have a successful team.... doesn't mean it feels good to constantly lose top flight players to free agency.

CMONPETEYD    7

On a seperate note - who else finds it laughable that the Devils want STH money in April, yet they can't lock down the captain of the team and top player in the prime of his career... but you are supposed to give them their money 6 months in advance to guarentee your seats for a product they dont intend to take care of until June/July.

Horsesh!t

Devilsfan118    641

Right on MadDog, fvcking right.

This is an emotional time for a lot of people. Maybe some other hockey fans here can go cuddle with their statistics tonight, but for the rest of us the next few days should be a nice time to vent.

devilsrule33    189

The problem i have in this whole thing, after mulling it over for the better part of 8 hours is the way that Lou handles his free agents generally. Over the course of the last 10 years or so, I think the Devils more than any other team have had more high level free agents go to July 1. Lou plays with fire. Sometimes we get the guy, sometimes we lose the guy. In this case we lost. How many teams let there top players go to July 1? Name the last top Ranger to hit July 1, and if there is 1, there may not be more than 1. I just don't feel like the way we do business is generally the right way. We don't have the glam and glitz of some NHL cities, but we have a winning tradition which is tough to come by and a great selling point. I am just soured by the whole thing and i think this happens to the devils more often then any other team.

And yet we continue to have a successful team.... doesn't mean it feels good to constantly lose top flight players to free agency.

It's interesting and not something that has been discussed much today. If Lou offered Zach the same contract he did on July 1st, say in February, Zach Parise is probably a New Jersey Devil.

maxpower    21

On a seperate note - who else finds it laughable that the Devils want STH money in April, yet they can't lock down the captain of the team and top player in the prime of his career... but you are supposed to give them their money 6 months in advance to guarentee your seats for a product they dont intend to take care of until June/July.

Horsesh!t

There's 1 Ranger left from the 05/06 team. They had to go somewhere. Don't worry, they will lose guys out of this current crop because there will be too many of them. Hell that's part of the reason they don't lose guys, they don't produce any for awhile and whatever they produced got traded for older guys who then washed out while Rangers, just riding off into the sunset.

CMONPETEYD    7

There's 1 Ranger left from the 05/06 team. They had to go somewhere. Don't worry, they will lose guys out of this current crop because there will be too many of them. Hell that's part of the reason they don't lose guys, they don't produce any for awhile and whatever they produced got traded for older guys who then washed out while Rangers, just riding off into the sunset.

You missed my point completely.

SterioDesign    261

yeah well i got sh!t on for saying this... thats all because of Lou's way of doing things. glad i got people on my side about that one

Satans Hockey    612

The problem i have in this whole thing, after mulling it over for the better part of 8 hours is the way that Lou handles his free agents generally. Over the course of the last 10 years or so, I think the Devils more than any other team have had more high level free agents go to July 1. Lou plays with fire. Sometimes we get the guy, sometimes we lose the guy. In this case we lost. How many teams let there top players go to July 1? Name the last top Ranger to hit July 1, and if there is 1, there may not be more than 1. I just don't feel like the way we do business is generally the right way. We don't have the glam and glitz of some NHL cities, but we have a winning tradition which is tough to come by and a great selling point. I am just soured by the whole thing and i think this happens to the devils more often then any other team.And yet we continue to have a successful team.... doesn't mean it feels good to constantly lose top flight players to free agency.

I understand your overall point but the Rangers aren't a good comparison. They are finally getting good home grown talent that they hadn't even had for years.

On a seperate note - who else finds it laughable that the Devils want STH money in April, yet they can't lock down the captain of the team and top player in the prime of his career... but you are supposed to give them their money 6 months in advance to guarentee your seats for a product they dont intend to take care of until June/July.Horsesh!t

I agree with this but this is how all sports teams do it.

Devil Dan 56    354

Well for maybe a little bit of comic relief go check out the fake Twitter insiders, incarceratedbob and hockeyyinsiderr who both swore to have sources saying Zach was going to sign with the Penguins. Both claiming their "sources" are saying that Crosby is livid at Zach for breaking his word.

Those "insiders" are terrible. They throw out vague guesses and then lie about sources. Watching them try to lie their way out when they are dead wrong is hilarious... And painful haha

yeah well i got sh!t on for saying this... thats all because of Lou's way of doing things. glad i got people on my side about that one

HE OFFERED ZACH A CONTRACT. ZACHS AGENTS TOLD HIM TO WAIT FOR FREE AGENCY.

Why can't you get that?!?

CMONPETEYD    7

Everyone walks around like Lou's sh!t doesn't stink, and yeah it has it's share of ups and downs. For every John Madden there is an Ilkka Pikkarainen. For every Brian Rafalski or David Clarkson Signing, there is a McGillis/Malakhov overpayment. We've had some lean drafts over the course of the past 10 yrs, and just recently they appear to have gotten better. Lou gets a lot of credit for the 3 cups and the now 5 SC finals, but it's been a while since he's outsmarted or fleeced anyone in a trade.

maxpower    21

You missed my point completely.

Um, they had like 30 guys play that season, only one of them is left. They didn't just get zapped by an anti-matter gun, the ones that didn't suck went somewhere else one way or another.

It renders your point moot, you said they don't lose guys but Lundqvist is the only one left from that team, where did they go?

CMONPETEYD    7

I understand your overall point but the Rangers aren't a good comparison. They are finally getting good home grown talent that they hadn't even had for years.

but none of their really good players that they value have hit July 1. Did Lundqvist in a similar situation hit July 1? He was one a 1 yr deal and was taken care of shortly after January 1 in his walk yr.

Take the Rangers out of the comparison. Tell me another team who has lost so many top flight free agents, or even let them get to July 1st.

Zajac is going to be the next one if Lou isnt careful Him and and sh!tty policy of not negotiating in season is just dumb.

Um, they had like 30 guys play that season, only one of them is left. They didn't just get zapped by an anti-matter gun, the ones that didn't suck went somewhere else one way or another.

It renders your point moot, you said they don't lose guys but Lundqvist is the only one left from that team, where did they go?

Reading comprehension? I said let the top players go to free agency.

MantaRay    58

I can't see how anyone is surprised by this. Zach did not hire new agents last July because he was staying. Buying a new home in Minnesota in the past year was more evidence.

I don't disrespect Zach for this. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

That being said, I think Minny made a terrible mistake today. This contract has Scott Gomez times 13 years all over it. Suter is nothing without Weber. This is Wade Redden times 13 years.

Even with these signings they are still a borderline playoff team. It will interesting to see how Lou plays his hand now.

• Like 1

maxpower    21

but none of their really good players that they value have hit July 1. Did Lundqvist in a similar situation hit July 1? He was one a 1 yr deal and was taken care of shortly after January 1 in his walk yr.

Take the Rangers out of the comparison. Tell me another team who has lost so many top flight free agents, or even let them get to July 1st.

Zajac is going to be the next one if Lou isnt careful Him and and sh!tty policy of not negotiating in season is just dumb.

Reading comprehension? I said let the top players go to free agency.

That team didn't have ANY top players? I can think of one top player on that team they did not resign. Can you? The top 4 scorers all left via FA. Hell, two teams tried to sign one of them and had a big brawl about it.

SterioDesign    261

HE OFFERED ZACH A CONTRACT. ZACHS AGENTS TOLD HIM TO WAIT FOR FREE AGENCY.

Why can't you get that?!?

Hey you wanna scream at something go scream at a tree or something im not in the mood

CMONPETEYD    7

That team didn't have ANY top players? I can think of one top player on that team they did not resign. Can you? The top 4 scorers all left via FA. Hell, two teams tried to sign one of them and had a big brawl about it.

What team are you talking about - i said over the past 10 years or so

Devilsfan118    641

What I've learned from F/A recently?

It's just not worth it. You will almost certainly overpay for one of the top tier free agents.

ALSO

Do whatever it takes to not let your best players get to July 1st. Get an absolute decision before the first, whether it be that the player wants to stay, or leave. None of this "Oh don't worry, you're still in the running" bullsh!t. Because now Lou's going into scramble mode, and I hope he doesn't sign someone at an awful contract or make a rash trade.

Do you want to be a Devil? YES OR NO before July 1st.

maxpower    21

Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Rucinsky all left via FA. Two overseas, two to the NHL, Nylander to two teams at the same time.

Avery, Prospal, Jokinen....

Edited by maxpower

jkrdevil    0

Jagr was the top player on the Rangers the two years after the lockiut and he left as a free agent. There you go

MadDog2020    1,794

Right on MadDog, fvcking right.

This is an emotional time for a lot of people. Maybe some other hockey fans here can go cuddle with their statistics tonight, but for the rest of us the next few days should be a nice time to vent.

I'm an emotional person. I love the Devils like a family member. Always have, always will. And when someone fvcks over a member of my family, they're dead to me. Zach Parise is dead to me.

Devil Dan 56    354

Hey you wanna scream at something go scream at a tree or something im not in the mood

It's the same as talking to a tree. You keep perpetuating this fantasy that Lou didnt try to sign him. He did. And Zachs agents told him to wait for free agency. That's what their job is.

Satans Hockey    612

Oh I agree completely, just saying the Rangers haven't really had anyone of any worth besides Lundqvist and I think he would have stayed no matter what, he clearly loves being in New York.

but yeah you are right, it's happened way too much over the years. Parise, Gionta, Martin, Gomez, Holik, Neids, list goes on and on. It's frustrating.

Devilsfan118    641

I can't see how anyone is surprised by this. Zach did not hire new agents last July because he was staying. Buying a new home in Minnesota in the past year was more evidence.

I don't disrespect Zach for this. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

That being said, I think Minny made a terrible mistake today. This contract has Scott Gomez times 13 years all over it. Suter is nothing without Weber. This is Wade Redden times 13 years.

Even with these signings they are still a borderline playoff team. It will interesting to see how Lou plays his hand now.

This..is not the post I expected you to make today Manta.

Very well said.

Lateralous    158

Everyone walks around like Lou's sh!t doesn't stink, and yeah it has it's share of ups and downs. For every John Madden there is an Ilkka Pikkarainen. For every Brian Rafalski or David Clarkson Signing, there is a McGillis/Malakhov overpayment. We've had some lean drafts over the course of the past 10 yrs, and just recently they appear to have gotten better. Lou gets a lot of credit for the 3 cups and the now 5 SC finals, but it's been a while since he's outsmarted or fleeced anyone in a trade.

I was right there with you until the last sentence. Kovachuk, Salvador, Ponikarovsky and Zidlicky were all great trades. My issue is with free agency. Hes been guilty of overpaying both existing players and marginal unrestricted free agents. regardless of the circumstances, off the top of my head I can't think of another GM that has lost two captains and two talents the quality of Niedermayer and Parise in the last 10 years. The reports you hear from free agents saying they've not even heard from LL can be maddening.

Edit: I see you've clarified your position in the 10 minutes it took me to write those 4 sentences.

Edited by Lateralous