Daniel

‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

sundstrom    256

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils

Zach Parise told me if he becomes an UFA on Sunday it doesn't mean he's ruled out staying with the Devils.

Expand

@Ledger_NJDevils:

Parise said if he gets to Sunday, Devils aren't out: "Not at all. I know a lot of people will think that. That's far from the case."

just goes to show that Devils will get right of a match.

Daniel    374

Hey, Daniel. Did you know they made a movie about the guy who wrote that classified add in your signature?

Yup. Doesn't look that great though. Will wait for cable.

Devilsfan118    742

I'm still..being...cautiously hopeful right now..not getting my hopes up now only to have them crushed in a week

Devilsfan118    742

So, on a different area of the topic here..how do these things generally go?

Zach talks to agent, agent talks to Lou, agent brings stuff back to Zach to see if he approves, repeat?

Do Lou and Zach ever directly speak during this whole process?

Triumph    640

if you want to take his quotes at face value, i think he is very much hoping that the devils give him an offer he can take before 7/1. as i posted previously, a source i trust told me that parise was ready to take 7/50 at the trade deadline and his agents were against it at that time because they knew he could do no worse before or after 7/1 and that if he really wanted to stay with NJ, that wouldn't be an issue and he'd get more.

if he gets to i think 9/63 or 10/70 gets it done but i'm not sure if the devils can do it.

I think they can do this, it's just a question of where the money goes. They can't jam $20M in the first two years, with bonuses, for example. But if the payments were relatively flat, yeah, I think that could work.

caron14    45

Depends... when they are close the player come to discuss (Kovalchuk meet lou and then they sign) samething for elias etc....

JohnnyP.    2

So, on a different area of the topic here..how do these things generally go?

Zach talks to agent, agent talks to Lou, agent brings stuff back to Zach to see if he approves, repeat?

Do Lou and Zach ever directly speak during this whole process?

I don't think Agents would allow their client to speak directly with LOU. Lou has too much influence.

JohnnyP.    2

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier.. but nonetheless baffles me a bit, if my recollection is even correct. May be you guys recall.

Last off-season when Zach was a RFA and the deadline was a approaching tick tick tick - NJD & ZP agree on 1 year deal because (if i recall correctly) time was running out and 1yr deal made sense for now.

Fast Forward, a whole year almost gone by... NJD & ZP begin talking 5 days before deadline ???????

Thoughts?

:koolaid:

JohnnyP.    2

A Lou quote we hear over and over - "when time is on your side, you use it"

I hope he is using it perfectly in the here and now

i'm just a little nervous but i truly do "Trust In Lou"

I think one way or another Zach decides quickly...he's getting married in like 3 weeks, I'm sure he wants the wedding to go A-OK and have all the contract crap done and behind him.

ghdi    65

I think one way or another Zach decides quickly...he's getting married in like 3 weeks, I'm sure he wants the wedding to go A-OK and have all the contract crap done and behind him.

He's likely going to set the market. It will be done by Monday one way or another.

Mayday    13

you'd think that if he is a beat writer for a actual newspaper he wouldn't make sh!t up, who knows

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Just spoke with two NHL sources who believe Parise to the Penguins is a very strong possibility.

if Parise did end up with the Penguins I would be extremely disappointed in him.

NJDevils1214    200

you'd think that if he is a beat writer for a actual newspaper he wouldn't make sh!t up, who knows

if Parise did end up with the Penguins I would be extremely disappointed in him.

I would be heart broken to say the least. Ne one wants to see him go to a division rival.

@DarrenDreger: "Shane Doan wants to stay in Arizona, but ownership instability may force him to test free agency."

If Parise does not resign is Doan is a possibility? He might not want to stay in the West if he leaves PHX.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Don't understand why the Pens would go after Parise when they have a crap defense and a goalie whose performance is inconsistent.

NJDevils1214    200

Don't understand why the Pens would go after Parise when they have a crap defense and a goalie whose performance is inconsistent.

So they can go "haha look what we got"? :hah:

Triumph    640

unless those two NHL sources are Don Meehan and Wade Arnott, I don't really care. Anyone can see that Parise to the Penguins is a distinct possibility if both sides want to make it happen.

SterioDesign    261

Does anyone know exactly how those contract discussion goes?

Cause really i just cant imagine how it can possibly take so long....

You give a price... He gives a prices... Lenght... Etc and you do a little tug war with numbers trying to reach an agreement... But i just cant imagine all those conversations taking THAT LONG... Especially since both side must have known everyone's intentions after last season? Id assume that the NTC and everything come at the end once the structure and everything is established... I cant picture a discussion like that taking more than a few hours really?

I just dont get it, does anyone here have a clue?

You give a price... He gives a prices... Lenght... Etc and you do a little tug war with numbers trying to reach an agreement... But i just cant imagine all those conversations taking THAT LONG... Especially since both side must have known everyone's intentions after last season? Id assume that the NTC and everything come at the end once the structure and everything is established... I cant picture a discussion like that taking more than a few hours really?

It comes down to whether or not they get a year of free Sirius XM and covered oil changes for the first 30,000 miles

NJDevs4978    218

unless those two NHL sources are Don Meehan and Wade Arnott, I don't really care. Anyone can see that Parise to the Penguins is a distinct possibility if both sides want to make it happen.

Even if they were Meehan and Arnott I wouldn't care, cause I'd suspect they were intentionally leaking rumors about the Pens just to get more leverage on Lou.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mayday    13

For all we know Parise may still just want to see whats out there.

There are a ton of variables at play right now.

1. The Devils ownership issue (do we have the money?)

2. What $$ Parise wants and what Lou is willing to give

3. Length, distribution, clauses, etc.

4. Does ZP really want to stay?

This is his biggest deceision. This will determine where he will live and play for the majority of his career.

I just hope something happens today even if its not ZP related. Maybe resigning someone.

I would say that if there isn't a deal by end of tomorrow he is defiantly going to hit the market. I think he will anyways.

Chuck the Duck    201

It comes down to whether or not they get a year of free Sirius XM and covered oil changes for the first 30,000 miles

As well as a minature giraffe like the one Kovy got when he signed a few years ago.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Daniel    374

For all we know Parise may still just want to see whats out there.

There are a ton of variables at play right now.

1. The Devils ownership issue (do we have the money?)

2. What $$ Parise wants and what Lou is willing to give

3. Length, distribution, clauses, etc.

4. Does ZP really want to stay?

This is his biggest deceision. This will determine where he will live and play for the majority of his career.

I just hope something happens today even if its not ZP related. Maybe resigning someone.

I would say that if there isn't a deal by end of tomorrow he is defiantly going to hit the market. I think he will anyways.

I think the ownership issue is a bit overrated. It's a salary cap league, so if Parise gets more money, someone else gets less. It more or less evens out. The only way that finances become an issue depends on how front-loaded the contract is, and how many fake years there are. The Kovy amendment to the CBA makes the fake years more difficult to work in.

How much he wants to stay is nothing more than speculation. So far as I can tell, there is not a single credible source that has anything to report on the issue, except for his public statements, which would be the same however he felt. The only exception might be his statements regarding the Rangers. He would really look like an ass if he went back on that.

While he could test the market, if he wants to stay for whatever reason, I think he takes a market rate deal prior to July 1, rather than run the risk that he's offered too much money to pass up from a crappy team.

Chuck the Duck    201

I think the ownership issue is a bit overrated. It's a salary cap league, so if Parise gets more money, someone else gets less. It more or less evens out. The only way that finances become an issue depends on how front-loaded the contract is, and how many fake years there are. The Kovy amendment to the CBA makes the fake years more difficult to work in.

How much he wants to stay is nothing more than speculation. So far as I can tell, there is not a single credible source that has anything to report on the issue, except for his public statements, which would be the same however he felt. The only exception might be his statements regarding the Rangers. He would really look like an ass if he went back on that.

While he could test the market, if he wants to stay for whatever reason, I think he takes a market rate deal prior to July 1, rather than run the risk that he's offered too much money to pass up from a crappy team.

I agree with this 100%. Plus, it's not like he was making $1 million this past season, and now they are talking of bumping his salary up to $7-8 million per. If the management of the team (Lou and ownership) feel this is a player worth making a long term commitment to, they will be able to make this deal happen.

Triumph    640

The ownership issue is THE issue. I think Parise wants to stay. I think he can get a nice contract here - not what he'd get on the open market, and not Kovalchuk money, but nice. But if this is going to turn into a floor team while Vanderbeek continues to pull his Worm-from-Rounders act writ large, it's going to turn into a terrible situation quickly, because this team doesn't have enough young players to make it into a Stanley Cup contender in the near future as a floor-ish team. It'd be Parise and Kovalchuk taking up $18M and the rest of the team would be getting $40 M. Tough to win that way.

The thing is, if Parise does get a fair contract, he can be moved if he wants out. Kovalchuk's contract is just about unmovable even with the season he had.