Daniel

‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

I think this crap about Parise signing in Minneosta because of the money he'd get and the fact that he is playing in his homestate in bullsh!t.

Look at how many players dedicate their careers to franchises to teams thousands of miles away from their home even though they'd probably had a nice contract there waiting for them.

Zach Parise is not signing with Minnesota. Not with New York. I would say its 60% NJ and 40% Detroit.

I think this crap about Parise signing in Minneosta because of the money he'd get and the fact that he is playing in his homestate in bullsh!t.

Look at how many players dedicate their careers to franchises to teams thousands of miles away from their home even though they'd probably had a nice contract there waiting for them.

Zach Parise is not signing with Minnesota. Not with New York. I would say its 60% NJ and 40% Detroit.

Most times you aren't getting potentially $20-40 million dollars more to play with your home team though, usually people talk about taking hometown discounts, not markups. As much as it's easy for us to say it shouldn't be about the money, when it's THAT much of a difference it's hard not to take that into account.

Most times you aren't getting potentially $20-40 million dollars more to play with your home team though, usually people talk about taking hometown discounts, not markups. As much as it's easy for us to say it shouldn't be about the money, when it's THAT much of a difference it's hard not to take that into account.

But Minnesota sucks. They suck out loud. They were TERRIBLE this year. Try to name their defenseman, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't name one who isn't Kurtis Foster. If they were in a non-hockey market there'd be a lot more talk about how bad they are, because the Canadian and big-city US media love to talk about a flagging franchise.

Zach could very well go there, but I think it's unlikely - assuming Parise's talk about the NYR to be genuine, I think it's really between Detroit and the Devils, with Minnesota bringing up the rear.

But Minnesota sucks. They suck out loud. They were TERRIBLE this year. Try to name their defenseman, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't name one who isn't Kurtis Foster. If they were in a non-hockey market there'd be a lot more talk about how bad they are, because the Canadian and big-city US media love to talk about a flagging franchise.

Zach could very well go there, but I think it's unlikely - assuming Parise's talk about the NYR to be genuine, I think it's really between Detroit and the Devils, with Minnesota bringing up the rear.

LA's a name that's been popping up lately too. (Not just by you know who).

I don't think I can lol...I know they had Zanon but they traded him at the deadline I think? I only remember Clayton Stoner cause of the dump-in goal last year but don't know if he's still on their team or in the minors.

The Rangers sucked for a million years and still attracted every free agent known to man (yeah I know most famous arena in the world lol), how bad a team is isn't relevant to me when talking about FA's unless you're bad and in a ****hole like the Isles are, or out in the middle of nowhere with an average temperature of 20 below like Edmonton. Those teams are the exception to the most money trumps all rule.

I'd find it amusing if LA tried to skimp on Kovy and offer him a $5.3 million cap hit then blew the bank out for Zach two years later after winning a Cup, and with other big-salary players on the team. Can't really picture him pulling a Hossa, especially assuming dollars are similar.

I don't think I can lol...I know they had Zanon but they traded him at the deadline I think? I only remember Clayton Stoner cause of the dump-in goal last year but don't know if he's still on their team or in the minors.

The Rangers sucked for a million years and still attracted every free agent known to man (yeah I know most famous arena in the world lol), how bad a team is isn't relevant to me when talking about FA's unless you're bad and in a ****hole like the Isles are, or out in the middle of nowhere with an average temperature of 20 below like Edmonton. Those teams are the exception to the most money trumps all rule.

The funny thing about the missing-the-playoff Rangers, is that everyone just looooooooooved playing there...in front of the sellout crowds, in the Garden, in New York...too bad winning wasn't terribly important to those check-cashers (no one seemed terribly angry about the lack of on-ice success)...it seemed like those players were more interested in some fantasy idea of what playing hockey for the Rangers meant...

I'm tempted to write something big about this because it just doesn't make sense. Yes, they have the cap room NOW, but it's a tight squeeze. Then you have to figure that this team has to keep Kopitar, Brown, Parise, Doughty, Richards, Carter, and Quick long-term - Kopitar's at 6.7, Brown is at 3.6 NOW, but he should be paid at least $7M when he goes UFA, Parise will get $7M, Doughty is at $7M, Richards and Carter are at $5M, and Quick will probably settle between 7 and 8M long-term. That's over $40M to 7 players, leaving you with $25-30M to go to the remaining 13. That's difficult to do the way the NHL is shaping up now.

If they can make it work, good for them, but I don't see it. They would probably have to get rid of both Brown and Quick when they went UFA.

As for the Rangers, they were not good, but they at least had name players and a chance of success (really, what undermined them most was goaltending in most of those years). And the market then just wasn't the same. And who did they get who were stars, really? They signed Theo Fleury (a star, but NHL GMs had to be aware of his substance abuse issues), Bobby Holik, who's prideful enough to want to play in New York, and... who else? They traded for Lindros and Bure and Kovalev. The rest of the guys they kept signing weren't very good players. The market was totally different, the league was a lot different. Apples and oranges.

Edited by Triumph

The thing with LA is that they are locked into big contracts with Kopitar, Richards, Carter, and Doughty. Plus, Quick is due for a nice fat raise next year and Brown the year after (smaller raise, but a raise). They can fit Zach I guess, but their depth will plummet after the first line.

I'm tempted to write something big about this because it just doesn't make sense. Yes, they have the cap room NOW, but it's a tight squeeze. Then you have to figure that this team has to keep Kopitar, Brown, Parise, Doughty, Richards, Carter, and Quick long-term - Kopitar's at 6.7, Brown is at 3.6 NOW, but he should be paid at least $7M when he goes UFA, Parise will get $7M, Doughty is at $7M, Richards and Carter are at $5M, and Quick will probably settle between 7 and 8M long-term. That's over $40M to 7 players, leaving you with $25-30M to go to the remaining 13. That's difficult to do the way the NHL is shaping up now.

If they can make it work, good for them, but I don't see it. They would probably have to get rid of both Brown and Quick when they went UFA.

I'd note the Brown trade rumors that were circulating at the trade deadline. Those were reported by pretty reputable sources. So maybe the plan is to keep Parise and trade Brown or let him walk when his contract is up.

I agree though, LA doesn't spend irresponsibly and there's no need for them to give anyone a blow-you-out of the water type offer. If there's anything to it, my guess is that it would be a manageable cap hit type offer with the message that this is the best chance for you to win the Cup.

That'd be something. Trade your captain, whom you won a Cup with, and sign the captain of the losing team.

That'd be something. Trade your captain, whom you won a Cup with, and sign the captain of the losing team.

Brown is a hero there right now. I cant see them just trading him. That'd be like us trading Parise to sign brown.

This may be rewriting of history, but my understanding is those Brown trade rumors were mostly the Bruins trying feverishly to get Brown from the Kings, and the Kings just doing their due diligence and listening. Some Kings fans also think it was just done to light a fire under Brown's ass, so the rumors may have been overblown.

Regardless there is absolutely no chance the Kings trade Brown this offseason. Tim Thomas has shown that a lot can change in a year, but they aren't gonna sign Parise under the premise they can trade Brown next year either. Kings also are kind of screwed since they really can't go higher than Doughty or Kopitar's contracts for Parise without causing locker room issues. They will make a pitch, but won't keep up with the rest of the suitors' terms.

Brown is a hero there right now. I cant see them just trading him. That'd be like us trading Parise to sign brown.

Difference is Parise is better than Brown.

Difference is Parise is better than Brown.

But bigger and cheaper :rolleyes: Nah Parise is much better.

For what it's worth, from Minnesota ABC affilliate:

My link

I hear the Wild will go as high as a 10-year, $90 million offer (maybe higher) with signing bonuses making the contract front-loaded. Assume wherever Parise signs, he'll have a full no-trade clause.

Insane.

Insane.

It's perfectly sane. Look at their roster. What do they have to lose? What long-term contracts do they have to work around? Nothing, and none. They are a franchise at bottom. 44.5% Fenwick tied last year, worst in the NHL.

The thing is, being the hometown hero is great for about half the season, but Parise at that price will be expected to A: score a lot and B: lead the Wild into the playoffs. And the Wild will have to make a lot of additions in free agency and hope and pray to get in.

The thing is, being the hometown hero is great for about half the season, but Parise at that price will be expected to A: score a lot and B: lead the Wild into the playoffs. And the Wild will have to make a lot of additions in free agency and hope and pray to get in.

Yup, and as I have said, Parise is a complimentary player... not a franchise player

It's perfectly sane. Look at their roster. What do they have to lose? What long-term contracts do they have to work around? Nothing, and none. They are a franchise at bottom. 44.5% Fenwick tied last year, worst in the NHL.

Bold is a great point. When you are signing a 10 year deal you need to think about the whole deal, not just the beginning.

Yup, and as I have said, Parise is a complimentary player... not a franchise player

Complimentary is a little bit of an understatement. A $9 million cap hit when it's expected the cap will decrease after the CBA is a lot to spend on any player whose name is not Crosby or Stamkos.

The Wild also lost money despite having near perfect attendance. If the Devils had that sort of attendance, they'd be consistently profitable.

Complimentary is a little bit of an understatement. A $9 million cap hit when it's expected the cap will decrease after the CBA is a lot to spend on any player whose name is not Crosby or Stamkos.

The Wild also lost money despite having near perfect attendance. If the Devils had that sort of attendance, they'd be consistently profitable.

Spending $9M on Parise is way better, at least for the next few years, than spending $4M for an average defenseman (for example).

All players in the NHL are complimentary players. Hockey isn't basketball. Crosby is the only guy who is possibly a "franchise" player, and the Penguins were still pretty good without him this year.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Hell, I would sign with the Wild for that kinda dough! :P

Edited by NCDevsFan

So two days ago, the Wild owner and GM let it be known publicly through a go-between (Nanne) who has ties to both them AND Zach's family that the Wild won't be outbid on Zach and are preparing a substantial offer. Yesterday, the main beat guy Russo reported it was going to be $8-9 million per year and today we get this report of 10-90 with a NTC that could go even higher.

Nope, no tampering here...

Edited by NJDevs4978

Spending $9M on Parise is way better, at least for the next few years, than spending $4M for an average defenseman (for example).

It being way better for "next few years" is what makes it problematic. If it were four years $40 million, for a team like the Wild that doesn't have to worry about re-signing anyone during that time, it would make sense, or at least couldn't hurt.

If they're going to seriously compete for Cup, they'll need other pieces, that eventually they'll have to pay. I'm not totally familiar with the Wild or who they have in the pipeline, but doesn't seem to me that they have a deep enough talent pool that they'll manage to get three or four quality skaters on the cheap during a four year window.

So two days ago, the Wild owner and GM let it be known publicly through a go-between (Nanne) who has ties to both them AND Zach's family that the Wild won't be outbid on Zach and are preparing a substantial offer. Yesterday, the main beat guy Russo reported it was going to be $8-9 million per year and today we get this report of 10-90 with a NTC that could go even higher.

Nope, no tampering here...

Yeah, this is fvcking bullsh!t and it pissing me off. Hopefully Lou's all over it.