Daniel

‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

njdevil26    24

Do you not think every big-ticket free agent's agent doesn't know exactly which teams will be going after him and for how much, etc? Come on now. This stuff has been going on for years and years. Usually a players decision is made days in advance, and that is why they can make a decision within hours.

And for people calling the Wild a terrible team...well it isn't as simple as looking at the Wild roster now. He prob has promises and guarantees from the owner and GM that they will do everything in their power to bring top talent here. Having Parise and Suter only helps that movement.

You don't think it's convenient that the Minny papers were able to say how much money the Wild would spend on Zach knowing full well the Devils financial situation? It was a mind fvck. Completely. It tells Zach "the contract Lou just handed to you is not as much as what you would get elsewhere because the Devils can't afford it."

Please tell me, when was the last time this has happened?

mikepeluso8    37

I'm not one for calling players out but with the way I saw how he talked in the interviews this week he came across as trying to get sympathy for making such a hard choice. Which is a joke in itself. He could have had his mind made up all along and just decided to wait a week to make himself look better. We will never know but he has come across as a huge diva to me in these interviews this week.

Either way it's a joke and if he signs with the Wild I can't wait to see them miss the playoffs for a few years in a row.

Good points. My thoughts exactly. It was all a ploy.

Triumph    644

Go to page 96 of this thread for exactly what's been talked about.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. Haha. Nice work.

Glad to see this place is still ridiculous. Tampering! His agents had no idea what Zach would get on the open market. Arnott said to him on June 30: 'Look, I know you got to the Stanley Cup Finals and all, but I'm not sure there'll be any offers for you on July 1. We'll see how the market goes, maybe after Semin signs, or when Hudler makes a decision, some offers will come your way'

NJDevs4978    219

You don't think it's convenient that the Minny papers were able to say how much money the Wild would spend on Zach knowing full well the Devils financial situation? It was a mind fvck. Completely. It tells Zach "the contract Lou just handed to you is not as much as what you would get elsewhere because the Devils can't afford it."

Please tell me, when was the last time this has happened?

It certainly doesn't happen PUBLICLY all that often. Teams and agents whisper stuff to each other all the time, but this is different. Putting it out there publicly was basically a guarantee they would follow through. And it also sent every other team in the league a message publicly too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978    219

And for people calling the Wild a terrible team...well it isn't as simple as looking at the Wild roster now. He prob has promises and guarantees from the owner and GM that they will do everything in their power to bring top talent here. Having Parise and Suter only helps that movement.

Oh please, I'm sure they've been telling people that for ten years. You guys would defend him going to Columbus saying 'you never know'. Please...the Wild have been one of the five or seven worst-run organizations in hockey and their prospects better all pan out (unlike the first decade and a half of their existence) and the cap better not go down in the next CBA or they're going to struggle icing a team having upwards of a $22 million cap hit tied in three players - Parise, Suter and Koivu - for the next x number of years. None of whom are a top ten forward or defenseman.

Edited by NJDevs4978

JakeDev    1

Well we're going to hit 100 pages and Zach is probably signing for 100 m :P

edit: first post on 100

Edited by JakeDev

Triumph    644

It certainly doesn't happen PUBLICLY all that often. Teams and agents whisper stuff to each other all the time, but this is different. Putting it out there publicly was basically a guarantee they would follow through. And it also sent every other team in the league a message publicly too.

Right, this is different. It's you blowing something way out of proportion.

Parise's been a free agent for 4 days. Every team has had ample opportunity to make a better offer than anyone else.

coldply123    12

lol, yeah, tampering. Parise's been talking with Lou three times a day, but clearly he had no interest in coming back, it was just chit-chat, how's the weather, that sort of thing.

dr33: no, the Wild are still awful, and if they sign Parise and Suter, they're pretty much at the salary cap with (still) a pretty bad team.

Yup. And they are going to be tied into long-term cap hits at high numbers on two good, but not superstar players. If guys like Granlund, Brodin, Coyle pan out, they're going to become offer-sheet targets if there's a GM who is bold enough. The window for the Wild to try and contend may open and close in a quick fashion.

I'm not too broken-hearted over Parise leaving at the kind of money being talked about. I think the Wild may eventually suffer buyer's remorse on Parise down the road, much moreso than any Suter deal.

devilsrule33    189

It looks like everyone is looking for something..anything to get mad at because of this situation. And if it wasn't this it be that. If it wasn't a comment after game 6, it be some comment before arbitration. I still feel Parise has handled this as well as possible given the circumstances.

NJDevs4978    219

Right, this is different. It's you blowing something way out of proportion.

Parise's been a free agent for 4 days. Every team has had ample opportunity to make a better offer than anyone else.

And you don't think the initial offers on July 1 all started at a higher level because of the Wild's comments? Who in their right mind would offer Parise a 13-100 (the way the Flyers supposedly did) or some of these other rumored offers, unless you knew someone was willing to offer more than that or figured you had to go to that level to hope of topping everyone else?

sundstrom    256

And you don't think the initial offers on July 1 all started at a higher level because of the Wild's comments? Who in their right mind would offer Parise a 13-100 (the way the Flyers supposedly did) or some of these other rumored offers, unless you knew someone was willing to offer more than that or figured you had to go to that level to hope of topping everyone else?

who cares where they started. they would've gotten there immediately. parise was ALWAYS going to see what the Wild's offer was regardless of what was put out there. his dad is clearly an influence. the suter thing is relatively new - at least that it was something that teams were trying to do.

i'll be disappointed but i can't fault parise for going to minnesotta.

RSC    28

It looks like everyone is looking for something..anything to get mad at because of this situation. And if it wasn't this it be that. If it wasn't a comment after game 6, it be some comment before arbitration. I still feel Parise has handled this as well as possible given the circumstances.

Dude, you're not allowed to be rational about this. Gotta join the anti-Parise groupthink!

Triumph    644

Yup. And they are going to be tied into long-term cap hits at high numbers on two good, but not superstar players. If guys like Granlund, Brodin, Coyle pan out, they're going to become offer-sheet targets if there's a GM who is bold enough. The window for the Wild to try and contend may open and close in a quick fashion.

I'm not too broken-hearted over Parise leaving at the kind of money being talked about. I think the Wild may eventually suffer buyer's remorse on Parise down the road, much moreso than any Suter deal.

C'mon, offer sheet, who is the last significant player to be offer sheeted? Thomas Vanek? Dustin Penner, I guess? The Wild also have some bad contracts ending soon that should free them up to make some decent moves. Even if we assume Parise and Suter to be signed for a combined 16MM, the Wild will have 52M committed to 16 players next year. That should give them significant breathing room. They're still not building a championship team unless Granlund is really something special, but they've got some pieces in place to be good.

Edited by Triumph

DaneykoIsGod    120

Sorry, I just woke up and am having trouble finding when exactly it became a forgone conclusion that Parise is signing with the Wild. Can anyone fill me in?

DevsMan84    605

Sorry, I just woke up and am having trouble finding when exactly it became a forgone conclusion that Parise is signing with the Wild. Can anyone fill me in?

Apparently because suter is expected to sign with the wild.

There really isn't anything definitive, it's more of a general feeling. I haven't ruled out his coming back to NJ (and in fairness, a lot of the posts here are using "if", in regards to Minnesota), but if he doesn't, I'm not going to be taking it all that hard. I actually think the Devils might be better off in the long run if Parise DOESN'T come back.

Suter's supposed to make his decision today

Parise decision could come at same time, especially if they are trying to coordinate destination

"@SHEEHYHOCKEY: Client Ryan Suter plans on making a decision today." Around noon would be great. Thx.

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger)

July 4, 2012

LeBrun's even posting about Suter + Parise

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

NJDevs4978    219

Apparently because suter is expected to sign with the wild.

That, and Parise's interview last night where he admitted he was talking with Suter throughout the process. And the fact both have been unsigned for days but are supposedly both going to decide today. And the fact so many teams offered them both a package deal.

No smoking gun yet, but a ****load of circumstantial evidence.

Triumph    644

There really isn't anything definitive, it's more of a general feeling. I haven't ruled out his coming back to NJ (and in fairness, a lot of the posts here are using "if", in regards to Minnesota), but if he doesn't, I'm not going to be taking it all that hard. I actually think the Devils might be better off in the long run if Parise DOESN'T come back.

In 5 years, I don't think it's a question. Even though I don't think Richard Pryor from Brewster's Millions will still be running the team at that point, Kovalchuk will already be entering a decline. Having two forwards like that on a mid-budget team could be brutal.

In 5 years, I don't think it's a question. Even though I don't think Richard Pryor from Brewster's Millions will still be running the team at that point, Kovalchuk will already be entering a decline. Having two forwards like that on a mid-budget team could be brutal.

And I think there's still plenty Lou can do here. And yeah, one absurd contact on the books is enough.

njdevil26    24

And I think there's still plenty Lou can do here. And yeah, one absurd contact on the books is enough.

With Kovy's cap hit, I can't call his contract absurd at all. He's not going to make 100 million dollars... he won't play the last few years of the deal... he got not ridiculous signing bonus. Parise and Suter's cap hits are going to be at least 7.5-8 mil if not much more. You tell me who's the team player. I'm pretty damn happy to have Kovalchuk with a cap hit that will never screw over the team.