Mayday

2012 All Purpose UFA Thread

433 posts in this topic

Funny how things change in a year or two. The idea of keeping Kovalchuk and losing Parise two years ago was unspeakably horrible to everyone here. Even last offseason when Parise only signed to a one year deal it left everyone terrified and angry that the team might lose Parise and just keep Kovy.

Admittedly I would have said last year Zach was clearly the better player, but Kovy really rounded out his game with all the PK'ing he did - for the first time in his career, and was impressive in the way he was able to put up points at half strength (if that) in the playoffs while Zach really was invisible for long stretches with no injury.

2 people like this

Apparently Darren Dreger said on NHL live today that the Penguins are interested in Alexander Semin.

Crosby is always interested in semen.

Ohhhh, Semin. Gotcha.

1 person likes this

Anyone remember Tyler Eckford? I thought he looked excellent in his limited time with NJ. He had some pretty good numbers in the AHL last season. I think he might be an excellent #6/7/8. He is UFA as of July 1st.

Only problem is that he may count as a veteran for Albany purposes and our D depth is already pretty good.

Crosby Gets a $12-Year Extension for $104.4 million.

A few years I would have perhaps applauded this move. But now? One hit from his career being over. I'm not sure how great a massive contract like this is. Furthermore what does this do for the Penguins dreams of wanting to land Zach?

A few years I would have perhaps applauded this move. But now? One hit from his career being over. I'm not sure how great a massive contract like this is. Furthermore what does this do for the Penguins dreams of wanting to land Zach?

They have 14 in cap space and want to deal Martin. They've also never confirmed that they want to go after Zach. That was assumption after the draft. The stronger rumor is they want to go after Suter, and yesterday places were saying they were targeting Semin.

I don't think they'd have gotten Zach w/wout Crosby's new deal.

If his career ends due to injury or any other reason, what he's paid does not count against the cap. I'm also sure the Penguins have insurance to cover his salary if he suffers a career ending injury. Don't want to imagine what the premium is though.

If anyone cares, Hal Gill re-upped in Nashville. Dont have the #s and don't care. Its Hal Gill.

Rask only signed a one year deal with Boston, good for us I guess.

Sounds like Schneider is thinking of doing the same. Could be a decent goalie market next season.

10 Year contract for Quick seems to have LOL all over it. I am betting he's going to be a sub-par goalie next year.

10 Year contract for Quick seems to have LOL all over it. I am betting he's going to be a sub-par goalie next year.

Im now convinced that the rumor about the NHL wanting to limit deals to 6 years is real and teams are trying to get by that now.

Ryan Miller didn't win a Stanley Cup with a GAA of under 1.5. He didn't even win a gold medal.

Ryan Miller didn't win a Stanley Cup with a GAA of under 1.5. He didn't even win a gold medal.

I'm sure if you looked in Ryan Miller's career history, you can find a 20 game sample with play that good. Quick might've just become one of the league's elite goalies, or he could be a decent goalie on a huge hot streak, which happens all the time.

I'm sure if you looked in Ryan Miller's career history, you can find a 20 game sample with play that good. Quick might've just become one of the league's elite goalies, or he could be a decent goalie on a huge hot streak, which happens all the time.

And Cam Ward haha.

Goalie performance is pretty random, but it's not THAT random. There is persistence. I think you all are overstating how chaotic it can be. Cam Ward hasn't had a sv% below .915 the past 4 years, so he's a poor example imo for what you're talking about.

Quick has had a pretty great start to his career, this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation. This contract could easily become a mistake and I think the Kings D doesn't get enough credit for his performance this year, but I don't expect him to suddenly become a below average goaltender.

this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation

It's not an impossibility. No one knows how he plays going forward.

Hey, remember Steve Mason?

I rather have Chris Mason over Steve Mason at this point. Steve's confidence is beyond repair.

Speaking of Quick however - I saw this on HF and had a good laugh:

55f1z.jpg

‏@RealKyper

Look for #Kings Quick 10 year deal at 58M to be front loaded comparable to #NHL deal #Preds have for Rinne that pays him 7M first 7yrs.