Mayday

2012 All Purpose UFA Thread

433 posts in this topic

Goalie performance is pretty random, but it's not THAT random. There is persistence. I think you all are overstating how chaotic it can be. Cam Ward hasn't had a sv% below .915 the past 4 years, so he's a poor example imo for what you're talking about.

Quick has had a pretty great start to his career, this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation. This contract could easily become a mistake and I think the Kings D doesn't get enough credit for his performance this year, but I don't expect him to suddenly become a below average goaltender.

He hasn't, though. I mean, LA undercounts shots, but Quick has 1 top 10 save percentage season: this one. There really isn't much persistence.

Cam Ward's last 4 seasons - one is above average, the rest are average. That's the point. The Kings might expect Quick to be a .925 goalie going forward, but if he's a .915 goalie this deal doesn't look good at all. I think it's as good of a deal as they could hope to sign, but it's a giant risk.

He hasn't, though. I mean, LA undercounts shots, but Quick has 1 top 10 save percentage season: this one. There really isn't much persistence.

Cam Ward's last 4 seasons - one is above average, the rest are average. That's the point. The Kings might expect Quick to be a .925 goalie going forward, but if he's a .915 goalie this deal doesn't look good at all. I think it's as good of a deal as they could hope to sign, but it's a giant risk.

"Life is risk.....Go away." (not an easy one as I'm leaving out a small part).

I rather have Chris Mason over Steve Mason at this point. Steve's confidence is beyond repair.

Speaking of Quick however - I saw this on HF and had a good laugh:

55f1z.jpg

I meant remember Steve Mason had a phenomenal rookie season and fell off. Quick isn't certified solid gold like our #30.

Ryan Miller didn't win a Stanley Cup with a GAA of under 1.5. He didn't even win a gold medal.

True and as a Sabres fan Miller is overpaid right now $6.25M on the books for the next 2 years)

Miller did win a Veniza however, and has had his moments. Miller is a very good goalie with elite stretches (Miller was unconscious the last 2 months of this past season, until Ehrhoff and Myers both went down and the team ran out of gas late), that is a big difference between an elite goalie who is elite almost all the time. VERY few truly elite goalies have ever existed (Brodeur, Hasek and Roy, to name 3)

Edited by LOTCB

Jonathan Bernier wants a trade and the Devils are in the running.

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Next move the ‪#LAKINGS‬ will be to trade Jonathan Bernier who has asked to be moved. ‪#devils‬ ‪#Leafs‬ ‪#blackhawks‬ all possibilties

Followed up with another Strickland tweet:

‪#LAKINGS‬ told Bernier they would look to move him once a contract with Quick was finalized

Next move the #LAKINGS will be to trade Jonathan Bernier who has asked to be moved. #devils #Leafs #blackhawks all possibilties

— Andy Strickland (@andystrickland)

June 28, 2012

Next move the #LAKINGS will be to trade Jonathan Bernier who has asked to be moved. #devils #Leafs #blackhawks all possibilties

June 28, 2012
Edited by TheMazz

Jonathan Bernier wants a trade and the Devils are in the running.

Next move the ‪#LAKINGS‬ will be to trade Jonathan Bernier who has asked to be moved. ‪#devils‬ ‪#Leafs‬ ‪#blackhawks‬ all possibilties

Followed up with another Strickland tweet:

‪#LAKINGS‬ told Bernier they would look to move him once a contract with Quick was finalized

June 28, 2012

June 28, 2012

I imagine the Leafs and Hawks are more desperate than us to acquire him. I would be surprised if the Devils interest was anything more than a quick check to see what goods would have to go to LA.

Well I thought the Leafs are/were the front runners for Luongo. To the Devils it would make the most sense - A lot of goalies have been going for just draft picks so I don't think the Devils would need to give up anymore then that. A prospect perhaps as well.

Edited by TheMazz

Well I thought the Leafs are/were the front runners for Luongo. To the Devils it would make the most sense - A lot of goalies have been going for just draft picks so I don't think the Devils would need to give up anymore then that. A prospect perhaps as well.

Urbom, Tedenby and a second. No to Merrill. Don't want to give up a first and run the risk of losing a top pick in next years draft if the season turns out to be a disaster.

Wouldn't deal for J. Bernier - why bother. Who knows what a goalie is and if Bernier were good, he'd get the first round pick financial bump. NJ can't afford to be trading prospects just yet.

Urbom, Tedenby and a second. No to Merrill. Don't want to give up a first and run the risk of losing a top pick in next years draft if the season turns out to be a disaster.

this is a massive overpay. i'm not gonna say forget it like tri did, but i'd give up a 2nd and a nothing prospect. i wouldn't do it for urbom straight up and i wouldn't do it for tedenby straight up. his numbers have been average at best in his NHL career - as a back up. hedberg's numbers have been better than bernier's the last two years. he's a former 1st rounder that's gotten a lot of press and perhaps he becomes something.

Mike Gillis @ Canucks summit just announced they have agreed to new deal (in principle) with Schneider.

Looks like we know (if we didn't know already) who will be traded.

For total sh!ts and giggles (and the fact that Єklund (2.3% accurate) got a rumor right recently.)

Hockey Buzz Єklund (2.3% accurate) ‏@Єklund (2.3% accurate)

Red wings are very in on Prust.

Edited by TheMazz

Based on the fact that no one has any goddamn idea who the good goalies are, besides 2 or 3 guys. Quick could just be another Ryan Miller. Remember when everyone thought he was clearly a top goalie?

Speak for yourself dude I'll be the first to admit that Quick is just awesome

Mike Gillis @ Canucks summit just announced they have agreed to new deal (in principle) with Schneider.

Looks like we know (if we didn't know already) who will be traded.

What do u mean? Are u implying that Schneider will be?

He means Loungo

O right yea my bad, totally agree

O right yea my bad, totally agree

Lol sorry - should have made that clearer I suppose but yeah Lu.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Martin Brodeur very likely to test free agent market. Brodeur has hired Pat Brisson (CAA) to represent him. Bidders get ready!

mm...

Via McKenzie

CGY agrees to terms with Lee Stempniak on a 2 year deal worth $2.5M per year.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

NYR and Martin Biron agree to a 2 year deal worth a total of $2.6M, AAV of $1.3M.

Also per McKensie, Schultz to sign somewhere tomorrow. Got the same agent as Zach. Maybe a joint announcement?