• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

Triumph

Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

519 posts in this topic

I believe either:

1. Brodeur was really insulted by the offer.

2. A ruse that is hoping to occupy the energy/potential dollars of GM's interested in Parise.

I believe either:

2. A ruse that is hoping to occupy the energy/potential dollars of GM's interested in Parise.

Most, if not all of the teams that are interested in Parise and that Parise would play for, do not need a goalie.

It was announced in 2009 though. Maybe something he didn't even consider when signing his last contract or that he expected to last until he retired (or a few years after).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3997788

By the way, this article states that he has to pay $132,000 in child support as well. Not sure how long that lasts, but we can bump the number up to $632,000 now.

Even so, would he take a $7 million offer from Columbus just for a cash grab? After he sacrificed money his whole career to facilitate winning? The only contender I could see him going to is Chicago and they're skirting the cap the next couple years as it is and need to deal off Crawford (or have him around as an expensive backup).

I still think this is much ado about nothing or very little regardless, especially with the lack of openings around the league. He'd obviously get more money from us (but perhaps be less interested in signing anyway) if Zach doesn't come back so we're not finding out anything until Zach makes his decision.

Tampa Bay makes sense. I don't think you can assume Lindback is ready to be a 60+ game starter just yet. A tandem with Brodeur works. And Marty is good buddies with St Louis and Vinny.

They didn't give up a lot for Lindback to sit him on the bench for a year or two either, and they have a serviceable backup in Garon they can play 25-30 games. Tampa's not exactly an ideal win-now team though they had a good run two years ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If he got $7M from *anyone*, I'd have a stroke. Even as an "attraction" value he's not worth that. Most money will come from the Devils, unless they hit big on UFA's. Why? Because they have to spend it on *something*.

Plus if he re-signs with the Devils he doesn't have to pay the 3-5-whatever percent commission he'd have to give Brisson if he signs with another team anyway.

Plus if he re-signs with the Devils he doesn't have to pay the 3-5-whatever percent commission he'd have to give Brisson if he signs with another team anyway.

Now that he's using Brisson, he's going to have to pay him commission, Brisson isn't going to work for free. I mean, Marty could have worked some special deal out where Brisson's commission is equal to Marty's lawyer's old commission if he stays with the Devils, but Brisson will want something no matter where Marty signs, I would imagine.

Now that he's using Brisson, he's going to have to pay him commission, Brisson isn't going to work for free. I mean, Marty could have worked some special deal out where Brisson's commission is equal to Marty's lawyer's old commission if he stays with the Devils, but Brisson will want something no matter where Marty signs, I would imagine.

He's not using Brisson to negotiate with us though, why would the agent get commission of a contract he had no part in? He'd get work fees for the few days or the week he was in employ, that'd be about it.

He's not using Brisson to negotiate with us though, why would the agent get commission of a contract he had no part in? He'd get work fees for the few days or the week he was in employ, that'd be about it.

Marty always paid someone a commission, even when he was doing his own contracts with the Devils, it was just a lawyer at a much smaller rate.

For Brisson, he doesn't want to do all the work at fielding contracts for Marty and negotiating, only to be left with a few thousand bucks, instead of a few hundred thousand, just because Marty stayed with the Devils. So at worst, I imagine, Brisson will get the old lawyer commission if Marty signs with the Devils, instead of the full agent commission, but Brisson may very well want his full commission regardless of where Marty signs.

Obviously none of us know how Marty and Brisson negotiated their agent deal, this is just how I see it.

Marty always paid someone a commission, even when he was doing his own contracts with the Devils, it was just a lawyer at a much smaller rate.

For Brisson, he doesn't want to do all the work at fielding contracts for Marty and negotiating, only to be left with a few thousand bucks, instead of a few hundred thousand, just because Marty stayed with the Devils. So at worst, I imagine, Brisson will get the old lawyer commission if Marty signs with the Devils, instead of the full agent commission, but Brisson may very well want his full commission regardless of where Marty signs.

Obviously none of us know how Marty and Brisson negotiated their agent deal, this is just how I see it.

Incorrect, a lawyer ethically can not take a commission on a transaction in which he's representing a party. (Unlike a plaintiff's attorney who can get a cut of any judgment). He probably gets a flat fee or an hourly rate, and that's it.

Incorrect, a lawyer ethically can not take a commission on a transaction in which he's representing a party. (Unlike a plaintiff's attorney who can get a cut of any judgment). He probably gets a flat fee or an hourly rate, and that's it.

I'd have to search, but I'm pretty sure it was stated he was paying the lawyer a lower commission than he did his agent. I tried googling it, but it's slammed with all the recent headlines.

I don't know how thin you want to slice it, but Marty represented himself, he hired the lawyer to assist him.

Many agents are also lawyers, so I'm not sure how that would jive with that as your ethical basis either.

Edited by Devils731

The escrow system is NEEDED with linkage and more needed if they're going to play with the floor without moving the cap.

Yeah, you still need the escrow, but I don't see why you would need more escrow with a lower floor relative to the cap. Maybe I don't understand how the escrow system and linkage works - thinking about it now, the players are due 57% of the revenues regardless. So if the league makes more money than the projections say they will, the players actually get a bonus, and if they make less, the players get their paychecks cut. I don't think the players will be receiving 57% of revenues anymore - I think it will go down, and perhaps like the NBA, will continue to go down. Let's say it's 55% next year, 53% the year after, and that's where it stays. Each % point is around $1.3M of the cap, so the cap would get lowered to $67.6M immediately. But let's say you lowered the floor more than the % was cut - say you made it such that the floor was now $20M below the cap - every player would receive more at the end of the year because it would turn out that the players, in total, didn't receive 5x% of league revenues. But I see this as a potential solution to the problem - it's taking the burden on small market teams and pushing it on to every team.

Do I have this wrong? It's been a while since I read about it.

Many agents are also lawyers, so I'm not sure how that would jive with that as your ethical basis either.

They're lawyers by trade or have some kind of background, but when acting as agents they don't have their lawyer hats on, so to speak. I would imagine that agents who have law degrees don't have licenses to practice law.

Basically, whatever lawyer Marty used, probably got nothing more than $20,000, if that, which amounts to two weeks alimony pay,ents to Melanie.

Most, if not all of the teams that are interested in Parise and that Parise would play for, do not need a goalie.

It also may be a PR move if they are anticipating losing Parise. "Devils lose Parise, but keep Hall of Famer Brodeur." Brodeur isn't going anywhere.

Could be a move that is making it harder for Eastrn Confrence teams to make moves for Bernie or Luongo.

Maybe Brodeur is also trying to appease the NHLPA a little as well.

Does anyone really think he is going to play for another team?

Yeah, you still need the escrow, but I don't see why you would need more escrow with a lower floor relative to the cap. Maybe I don't understand how the escrow system and linkage works - thinking about it now, the players are due 57% of the revenues regardless. So if the league makes more money than the projections say they will, the players actually get a bonus, and if they make less, the players get their paychecks cut. I don't think the players will be receiving 57% of revenues anymore - I think it will go down, and perhaps like the NBA, will continue to go down. Let's say it's 55% next year, 53% the year after, and that's where it stays. Each % point is around $1.3M of the cap, so the cap would get lowered to $67.6M immediately. But let's say you lowered the floor more than the % was cut - say you made it such that the floor was now $20M below the cap - every player would receive more at the end of the year because it would turn out that the players, in total, didn't receive 5x% of league revenues. But I see this as a potential solution to the problem - it's taking the burden on small market teams and pushing it on to every team.

Do I have this wrong? It's been a while since I read about it.

escrow withholds 18% of players' salary each year. at the end of the year, if revenues after salaries less the 18% don't give the owners 43%, the players escrow is not released. if it's made, they get their escrow. if its in the middle, they get some of it. the players don't "get their paychecks cut" as if it's an after the fact play. they just never get the escrow that is held back.

I believe either:

If the second is true, then say hello to our next GM.

He has to pay Melanie, at least 3.5 million over the next seven years. I'd be looking to see if someone wanted to pay me an extra 10 milion if I were in his shoes.

Lou wouldn't lowball Marty.

Marty may need a payday but he has to realize were tight on money and trying to re-sign the new face of our franchise.

According to Andy Strickland's twitter page the Devils (should they lose Marty. Key word is SHOULD) might make a move for Lu. Help us all if Marty leaves and we take on that choke artist

According to Andy Strickland's twitter page the Devils (should they lose Marty. Key word is SHOULD) might make a move for Lu. Help us all if Marty leaves and we take on that choke artist

At least his regular season numbers are good, but nooooooooo.

Wonderful, watch a guy that gets treated like a god walk out the door and replace him with a guy Devil fans ALREADY hate on sight, both because of the fact he's a rival for Marty on Team Canada, and because of his overinflated pads and choker reputation. They couldn't handpick a worse replacement for Marty, other than throwing a nameless kid in there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't see Marty signing somewhere else if it calls for playing the Devils regularly if he decides to leave. Chicago is a possibility as is Detroit out west. Perhaps Boston if he did sign with an eastern team.

Without the Canadian pressure, and a decent defense in front of him Luongo could thrive here.

Marty in a different uniform and Luongo in a Devils uniform would be enough to put me in an insane asylum. Add in Zach leaving, and yeah... Get me a straight jacket.

Without the Canadian pressure, and a decent defense in front of him Luongo could thrive here.

This.

But my God please I want Marty to never ever wear another sweater. :kill:

Edited by Zubie#8

No no please no. Luongo has no mental toughness and can't play in tough spots. Marty in his prime could, he loved that time (ok maybe not playoff OT's so much). And then this past year he was back to old form and played his best when needed. Luongo folds and falls apart when it counts most. That would guarantee basically terrible Octobers and Novembers (he seems to be a slow starter), we'd be fine from then until April or so and out of the playoffs every year Luongo played here. No thank you. And what on earth would Vancouver want for him? Whatever it is, its not worth it.