Triumph

Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

519 posts in this topic

Yeah and where are you getting good goaltending next year? It's not as if the Devils are passing on viable options. There are no better solutions than Marty or Hedberg in FA or the system for next year. Trade's the only other option and what are you getting besides Luuu, who's a far worse option cap-wise or Johnathan Bernier, who Dean wants a first-round pick for?

What do you think of Hedberg being the starter with a young guy in the system backing up?

Big news...

@DarrenDreger

As many of us predicted, the Devils have stepped up and are offering Martin Brodeur a 2 year contract.

Big news...

@DarrenDreger

As many of us predicted, the Devils have stepped up and are offering Martin Brodeur a 2 year contract.

Lou read mine and Has' posts. :P

I like it. 35+ really won't matter with all the contracts coming off the books next year.

I don't know. But I don't consider Brodeur good goaltending, so they wouldn't be getting that with Brodeur, either.

:noclue:

28 goalies wish they played as long as Marty did this year, Tri.

Hmm considering it's been widely speculated that Brodeur is going to be decided on once the Parise issue is settled, I wonder what this means in regards to that situation (if anything).

Good to hear, although I think Marty does not deserve the 2 yrs or the money I never want to see him on another team. He is ours and only ours.

Pay the NHL's all-time winningest goalie and the New Jersey Devils' all-time greatest player what he wants. He deserves it.

With Marty it's not about hockey, it's about emotion and loyalty. If you can't risk overpaying him for one year at the back end of his career after all he's done for us on the ice with all the money he's saved us off the ice, then you don't deserve any loyalty from the next guy. We want the players to be loyal but we don't give a **** about being loyal to them. It ain't a one-way street.

i'm not thrilled that lou went to two years unless the dollars are $3-$4mm. if he gets 2/10, I'm gonna be pretty upset.

I don't understand why Brodeur and the Devils don't just go year-to-year on this one. If Brodeur plays well the Devils will want him back. Now he is forcing the team to be ready to accept a 35+ contract.

Hmm considering it's been widely speculated that Brodeur is going to be decided on once the Parise issue is settled, I wonder what this means in regards to that situation (if anything).

That's what worries me. I'm almost glad they did offer him two years just so this board can have a psychotic meltdown though. OH NOES we might have five million in dead cap space when we're forty million under next year!

The thing that does puzzle me about him insisting on two years is he was saying earlier a lengthy lockout would finish him. So he wants to play two years but he'd have retired if one year got lost on a lockout?

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

i'm not thrilled that lou went to two years unless the dollars are $3-$4mm. if he gets 2/10, I'm gonna be pretty upset.

Are you kidding? I think anything over $2.5M/year is an overpayment.

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

+1000. The cap space is there. It won't hamstring the team. Imagine Brodeur in a Leaf or Blackhawk jersey. I never want to see it.

+1000. The cap space is there. It won't hamstring the team. Imagine Brodeur in a Leaf or Blackhawk jersey. I never want to see it.

Imagine Brodeur with an .890 save percentage leading the Devils right out of the playoffs. I never want to see that either.

Imagine Brodeur with an .890 save percentage leading the Devils right out of the playoffs. I never want to see that either.

No, I don't either. It's a risk, but I'd rather sink with Marty in net than w/ someone else. I just don't see who we could replace him with right now. I certainly don't think Hedberg would fare much better as starter.

What's the alternative? Hedberg as the #1? Our young goalies who are not close to ready?

What do you think of Hedberg being the starter with a young guy in the system backing up?

I think the Devils would finish out of the playoffs and would ruin a prospect in the process.

I'm fine with Brodeur on a one-year deal. I'm not fine with a 2 year deal. The history of goalies over 40 is pretty awful, and there can't be a real market for Brodeur - there's no need to go to 2 years. Lou can't be negotiating against himself here; Brodeur may be a living legend, but he's also an average goalie.

Edited by Triumph

I don't care if its not the "right" thing to do money or cap wise. I want Brodeur on this team until he finishes. I just hope he plays good enough for whatever the contract is.

I might be more willing to be ok with Marty going elsewhere if there were other goalies out there that were better but I don't see any viable options.

Moose as a full time starter would worry me more.

I can see Marty playing decent, and trying to get another deal as a UFA after this deal expires...lol

1 person likes this

Big news...

@DarrenDreger

was it money or years that caused Brodeur to get an agent?

was it money or years that caused Brodeur to get an agent?

I think years. Just a guess though, I dont think anyone really knows.