Triumph

Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

519 posts in this topic

was it money or years that caused Brodeur to get an agent?

Likely both, but I would think the 2 year term was probably more of the sticking point than the yearly figure...

But again, Marty wants close to his "market value"....

I can see Marty playing decent, and trying to get another deal as a UFA after this deal expires...lol

If he somehow stays healthy and plays good enough in year two to even consider coming back in year three, then all the people saying this is a bad contract will be wrong.

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

This is exactly how I feel. As a sports fan there are times when I think you have to have emotion trump rational thinking. Brodeur wanted 2 years so I'm glad they are offering it to him.

Likely both, but I would think the 2 year term was probably more of the sticking point than the yearly figure...

But again, Marty wants close to his "market value"....

My guess is Lou went 1 year, 3.5 or something, and then he went to market, got one team to offer two (and there were rumors Chicago was willing to go to 2) so now the Devils have matched or beat it.

I'm fine with Brodeur on a one-year deal. I'm not fine with a 2 year deal. The history of goalies over 40 is pretty awful, and there can't be a real market for Brodeur - there's no need to go to 2 years. Lou can't be negotiating against himself here; Brodeur may be a living legend, but he's also an average goalie.

The only quibble I have with this point is that he hasn't been consistently average. He's been above average (the second halves of the past two seasons and most of last season's playoff run) and below average (the first halves of the last two seasons). I think any contract you give him is a real crapshoot at this point, and I wouldn't have gone past one year myself. He could wind up being pretty good for the next two years, or it could get really ugly for him...the fact is, if the last two seasons are any indication, it's going to be damned near impossible to gauge what Brodeur's going to do until we actually seem him play. Two years is risky as hell.

"Martin Brodeur is staying with the Devils. 2 years / 9 millions. Great news for the Devils fans and that franchise."

Per Renaud Lavoie from RDS

"Martin Brodeur is staying with the Devils. 2 years / 9 millions. Great news for the Devils fans and that franchise."

Too much, but the right thing to do, for someone that truly loves the sport and has meant so much to the franchise.

Edited by DJ Eco

He deserves it...hopefully we'll get solid play and will be able to swing a kid into the spot...He will be a great mentor.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Overpaid but did't want to see Marty with another uniform on.

Well, guess we'll see if that's true soon enough, but yikes. That definitely sounds like a lifetime achievement contract if there ever was one, because the chances that Marty's going to live up to it seem pretty slim.

The fan in me is happy he's back, because I've always been firmly in his corner, and love what he brought to the Devils for so long.

The GM in me thinks Lou overpaid for him in dollars and term.

The optimist in me hopes he can win about 50 games the next two seasons and look reasonably good doing it.

The pessimist in me worries about it getting ugly for him on the ice...I saw glimpses of the potential for that the past two seasons, and I hope I never see him forced from the game due to his skills flat-out deserting him entirely. There's a part of me that wouldn't have minded seeing him retire this year, as he has nothing left to prove, and would've gone out on a relative high. Two years at which he'll playing at the ages of 40 and 41 are a scary proposition...even if he falls flat on his face, I have more than enough great Marty memories to offset that, but I just don't ever want him to be embarrassed on the ice.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I love #30 and have done so for 18 seasons. I'm unsure about this deal, as it delays our switch to the next goalie. I was hoping the '12-'13 season would see a 50-30 split with a younger keeper.... Oh well, Time will tell.

My post from the other Marty thread...seems more relevant here, now that it's official:

The fan in me is happy he's back, because I've always been firmly in his corner, and love what he brought to the Devils for so long.

The GM in me thinks Lou overpaid for him in dollars and term.

The optimist in me hopes he can win about 50 games the next two seasons and look reasonably good doing it.

The pessimist in me worries about it getting ugly for him on the ice...I saw glimpses of the potential for that the past two seasons, and I hope I never see him forced from the game due to his skills flat-out deserting him entirely. There's a part of me that wouldn't have minded seeing him retire this year, as he has nothing left to prove, and would've gone out on a relative high. Two years at which he'll playing at the ages of 40 and 41 are a scary proposition...even if he falls flat on his face, I have more than enough great Marty memories to offset that, but I just don't ever want him to be embarrassed on the ice.

I think we definitely overpaid. Hopefully he will keep up the second half of the season numbers this season and get us to the cup finals again. :koolaid:

Bad contract...and i'm thinking it means Lou threw in the towel on Parise and didnt want to lose both.

The legend lives on

Let's hope. If December rolls around and Marty has a save% in the .880s and a losing record and appears to be the weak link, this board will be shredding him and Lou mercilessly and we both know it.

The cap going up so much this year dictated Brodeur could 4.5mm, but it's more than double what most of us wanted when we talked about Brodeur's next contract. (2, 2.5mm)

Hope it's a Brodeur/Wedgewood combo so the kid can learn the tricks for 2 years.

Bad contract...and i'm thinking it means Lou threw in the towel on Parise and didnt want to lose both.

That's what it looks like.

I love #30 and have done so for 18 seasons. I'm unsure about this deal, as it delays our switch to the next goalie. I was hoping the '12-'13 season would see a 50-30 split with a younger keeper.... Oh well, Time will tell.

I don't think this delays our switch. If anything, we know we'll have Marty around the next 2 years to be able to coach and guide Wellwood or Kinkaid . The experience of mentorship from someone in the game like Brodeur is priceless in my opinion. Hell, even Kovy was being mentored by Marty during the playoffs. This contract is high, yes, but it's a show of loyalty and respect to both Brodeur and the fans..

Could very well be the truth, though all of the "sources" that made it sound like the Devils couldn't afford anything at all look pretty foolish.

If the rumored offers are anywhere near the truth, re: Parise, I say thanks for everything, best of luck. Being the best UFA available in your class doesn't make you a superstar by default, and it's obvious too many GMs in all sports will never learn that. Go ahead, pay Parise like a superstar...won't make him one.