Triumph

Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

519 posts in this topic

This deal means Brodeur thinks he's "starting" another 100 games, so that does appear delay the switch.

Good for Lou, Good for Marty. The one mllion dollar question is who will back Marty up. Of hedberg, hope it's for 1 year with a kinkaid/wedgewood getting some facetime year 2. Wouldn' mind seeig them this updoming year though. The morw time they can use Marty as a mentor, thw better.

I love #30 and have done so for 18 seasons. I'm unsure about this deal, as it delays our switch to the next goalie. I was hoping the '12-'13 season would see a 50-30 split with a younger keeper.... Oh well, Time will tell.

No reason it can't happen anyway. Hedberg's not signing here for two years, just Marty. Bring Moose back for one, then you can ease one of the kids in under Marty (in theory) in '13-14.

This deal means Brodeur thinks he's "starting" another 100 games, so that does appear delay the switch.

Not if he doesn't play well. If he has a first half like last season's and doesn't pull it together, and is clearly holding the team back, the Devils can't (and I believe won't) just pencil him in for 50 games. And I think Marty probably realizes this final contract is almost like a gift from Lou, for all of his contributions and for taking less than market value for all of his contracts before this one...if he's not anywhere near living up to it, and getting embarrassed, I don't think he's going to fight it if his playing time sees significant reduction.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brodeur has a serious "injury" after this season and can't come back. Lou knows, Lou knows.

Well this pretty much guarantees he will retire a Devil, so happy about that.

Pissed at the amount and what this could do to the Parise offer.

I really dont care if its an overpayment (which it clearly is by at least 1.5 million a year minimum) i wanted him back. Who knows, maybe this sends a message to Zach that if you stay as a Devil you will get taken care of.

Anyway its only right that the greatest ever should finnish where he started.

I agree that this was surely a difficult situation to keep "loyalty" or emotion totally out of the equation, but...

The greatest of all time just took another pay cut. I think it's a little silly to get worked up about this, especially considering what this team accomplished last year. There's risk, sure, but there's risk with 95% or more of goaltenders in the NHL.

From the other thread:

I really dont care if its an overpayment (which it clearly is by at least 1.5 million a year minimum) i wanted him back. Who knows, maybe this sends a message to Zach that if you stay as a Devil you will get taken care of.

Anyway its only right that the greatest ever should finnish where he started.

Great for us and Marty but I am afraid of what this means for Zach...I think we are sh!t out of luck with Parise. :whistling:

Dear God,

Thank you.

Love,

10 year old me

This is a bad deal for the Devils. Too much money and one year too long. Lou caved in.

Not if he doesn't play well. If he has a first half like last season's and doesn't pull it together, and is clearly holding the team back, the Devils can't (and I believe won't) just pencil him in for 50 games. And I think Marty probably realizes this final contract is almost like a gift from Lou, for all of his contributions and for taking less than market value for all of his contracts before this one...if he's not anywhere near living up to it, and getting embarrassed, I don't think he's going to fight it if his playing time sees significant reduction.

My post was from #30's Point of view. He will expect to start 60 next season. If we sign Moose, then perhaps we'll be more likely to sit Matty in a cool stretch, and use the proven backup.

I still would prefer a young keeper as back up this coming year.

This is a bad deal for the Devils. Too much money and one year too long. Lou caved in.

I'm dont necessarily disagree in principle, but consider the circrumstances. The Devils had, in reality, zero NHL goaltenders before this signing. How can you expect them to not overpay or cave to MB's terms?

I wouldn't be surprised if Brodeur has a serious "injury" after this season and can't come back. Lou knows, Lou knows.

Doesn't save you a penny on the cap, but the cap in two years is the least of our worries right now anyway.

If anyone deserves a gold watch, it's Marty. I'm just worried what giving him a gold watch means vis-a-vis what Zach told Lou.

Awful signing.

Hall of Fame goalies aren't cheap boys.

I'm just happy he's back.

It is a scary signing but you can't say, "I hope this didn't hurt signing Zach."

Lou didn't do this blindly. Either Parise was leaving anyway or he can still sign at the same price that we were gonna give him

What a great way to start this morning. I don't care about the money, I just wanted Marty back on this team and to be a Devil forever. I just hope he proves all the naysayers wrong.

If there is a lockout for a year Marty still comes back to play. BS

That's a big if. We might miss a half a season but the league and players know that they can't afford to miss an entire season so soon after the 05 season. I don't believe the fans will come back in droves this time.

Oh you guys know this has absolutely nothing to do with Parise's offer. Parise will either stay or go, this contract has nothing to do with it.

Glad to see Marty is sticking around... though I never truly thought he would leave. I would've been shocked. I don't think two years is that bad, and at $4.5M per, I don't think it's that bad either. What good goaltenders out there are getting paid less?

I'm not saying it's the wrong deal to do, but at the same time this contract is pretty brutal. It's a selfish deal on Brodeur's part, but he has a right to be selfish.

I'm still of the belief that Brodeur has a lot of good hockey left to show. At least that's what I hope. But this deal doesn't say that Brodeur is all that confident in his game.

yeah a lot of money, but I'd hate to see him pull a Roy and retire with a team other than the one he broke all his records with. Just wouldn't be right to see him play his last game in another sweater.

Now does Hedberg sign too?

I think no unfortunately. I would assume a young one will fill his role, hope he gets a job somewhere else though, I always loved the guy