Triumph

Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

519 posts in this topic

I'm glad we won't have to worry about seeing him in another uniform.

It also means that he can't retire after this season because it would completely screw this team in 2013-14 as his cap hit would remain based upon the over 35 signing rule.

Was just thinking about that. If Marty decides that he's had enough after this season, that 35+ rule comes into play. If we're up against the cap and need more players, then it's bad. If we're struggling to stay afloat financially, then I guess having a cap hit that helps us reach the floor while not having to pay the player works to the team's advantage.

How does Lou sign a 40 year old goalie to a 2 year contract, but he doesn't give up the 1st round pick in the Kovalchuk circumvention this year? This could really, really hurt years down the road.

Chuck: The Devils aren't a cap team, Brodeur retiring has no effect on what the Devils would do financially or otherwise. I hope they front-loaded this contract so he does retire after this season.

Marty loves this game too much to retire. The playoff run proved to HIM that he still has gas left in the tank and based on the way he played, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays beyond that in a reduced role to mentor his successor. Being paid large coin to do something you'd do for free is a gift, and he intends to maximize it. Good for you Marty....now call Zach and let's get this train moving again!

So who do we want as a backup now? I'd be fine with Hedberg. Looking at the ufa list the only other one as a backup that I'd be ok with is Al Montoya. Really slim pickings after that.

Come on now LD, you should be delighted he is back.

Marty bashing is 99% of your subject matter on here, if he left then what would you post about :noclue:

I think you need to check my posts if you think 99% of my post are about Marty this past year. If he retired I would have been OK with that. I didn't want him to go to another team for a year. And as I have said I didn't want a 2 year deal with him and IMO $4.5M is more than he is worth I would have liked $2.5-3 M and one year. He is 40 and injuries are happening. He didn't have a great year last season. In the playoffs he allowed a stoppable goal most every game but he kept us alive when our offence was sparse. He had Lou by the balls, Lou didn't have a starting goalie ready to go, shame on him.

I think you need to check my posts if you think 99% of my post are about Marty this past year. If he retired I would have been OK with that. I didn't want him to go to another team for a year. And as I have said I didn't want a 2 year deal with him and IMO $4.5M is more than he is worth I would have liked $2.5-3 M and one year. He is 40 and injuries are happening. He didn't have a great year last season. In the playoffs he allowed a stoppable goal most every game but he kept us alive when our offence was sparse. He had Lou by the balls, Lou didn't have a starting goalie ready to go, shame on him.

My apologies 98%.

How does Lou sign a 40 year old goalie to a 2 year contract, but he doesn't give up the 1st round pick in the Kovalchuk circumvention this year? This could really, really hurt years down the road.

Chuck: The Devils aren't a cap team, Brodeur retiring has no effect on what the Devils would do financially or otherwise. I hope they front-loaded this contract so he does retire after this season.

and then not match poni....lou is losing it

My apologies 98%.

I do have to say that I have noticed LD hasn't posted as much about Marty this year as in years past.

I do have to say that I have noticed LD hasn't posted as much about Marty this year as in years past.

:rolleyes: Never mind.

We are clearly keeping things serious around here today.

In that case:

Of course you would like that deal. Everyone on the board would like that deal over the one he got. But players don’t sign for their market value. Once players go UFA you always have to overpay.

Also who would you suggest as the ready to go replacement. Off the 2012 UFA list Marty is clearly the best Goaltender. So are you suggesting we trade assets and future depth in a trade? Because that long term looks like a worse option to me.

What does one have to do with the other?

The other silver lining to this is that we can close the door on the possibility of trading for Luongo.

Great news so long as he:

a) retires after year 1

or

b) accepts a backup/mentor role year 2

Good point, they are still over $5 million under the cap floor after Marty's contract, with 11 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 1 goalie under contract.

Brodeur said David Clarkson was more nervous than him about Brodeur being a UFA.

hahah clarky is adorable, i guess he's a guaranteed signing for next summer as long as Lou wants him.

Dear God,

Thank you.

Love,

10 year old me

This right here.

Who cares if he's making a little too much this and next year, it's not like the Devils will be spending to the cap anyway.

The legend lives on, thank God

and then not match poni....lou is losing it

Why match him, he was clogging a roster spot. He served his spot as a deadline pending UFA merc, now go on your way. I guess you could argue he's sort of a value at his price, but I don't think he's anything worth saving a spot for.

I'm hoping he starts for us next year and then Wedgewood sees some action by '13-'14 season and Marty is there as the mentor.

Was just thinking about that. If Marty decides that he's had enough after this season, that 35+ rule comes into play. If we're up against the cap and need more players, then it's bad. If we're struggling to stay afloat financially, then I guess having a cap hit that helps us reach the floor while not having to pay the player works to the team's advantage.

Good point by both you and Tri. I didn't think about it that way, mainly because we've been up against the cap and struggling to get under for so long now that I just assume they're close to the ceiling every year.

Thank you

So roughly half of those goalies had comfortably winning records. Yes, the other stats tend to be a little shaky, but for purposes of drat position it's the W column that counts. Marty is probably as good if not better than the other options out that are out there. And even without Zach, we're still a good team, and most likely still a playoff team.

This is not to say that I agree with keeping this year's pick. It was a weak draft where we had the second to last pick in the first round. We could have Corey Schneider in net, it's highly unlikely we're drafting that low in the next to years.

I am a little surprised at the amount of fans in here nitpicking this deal. It's Martin "Bleeping" Brodeur, our all-time greatest player ... the "Franchise." Did he win the Vezina last year? No, of course not. But he did still get us two games away from the championship.

I have no problems with the contract length or amount. I am simply very very happy Lou and Marty got it done.

And if you're still that down on him, don't worry, in two years max, he'll be gone for good.

1 person likes this