Triumph

Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

519 posts in this topic

Well if goaltending performance is so random, and we don't know who the good goalies are, maybe Brodeur will be a good one the next two years... :noclue:

This signing doesn't make sense as a hockey move, but makes sense as a marketing move. The NHL's a business at its heart, what can you do if you're Lou/Van Der Beek and one of the focal points of your entire business plan is walking away?

So roughly half of those goalies had comfortably winning records. Yes, the other stats tend to be a little shaky, but for purposes of drat position it's the W column that counts. Marty is probably as good if not better than the other options out that are out there. And even without Zach, we're still a good team, and most likely still a playoff team.

This is not to say that I agree with keeping this year's pick. It was a weak draft where we had the second to last pick in the first round. We could have Corey Schneider in net, it's highly unlikely we're drafting that low in the next to years.

3 of those results are Dominik Hasek who played for the best teams post-lockout.

As I've argued, I think a #29 pick now is worth a #20 pick in 2 years, but the Devils have absolutely no guarantee of putting themselves in that position, not with ol' slow-starts in net.

Well if goaltending performance is so random, and we don't know who the good goalies are, maybe Brodeur will be a good one the next two years... :noclue:

This signing doesn't make sense as a hockey move, but makes sense as a marketing move. The NHL's a business at its heart, what can you do if you're Lou/Van Der Beek and one of the focal points of your entire business plan is walking away?

Who else was going to tend nets next year?

:rolleyes: Never mind.

Also who would you suggest as the ready to go replacement. Off the 2012 UFA list Marty is clearly the best Goaltender. So are you suggesting we trade assets and future depth in a trade? Because that long term looks like a worse option to me.

Assume Marty retired after this past season, who would have been the goalie for the Devils? Lou created this situation. What if Marty is terrible this coming season will you be happy to have him back another year? If he retires because of he isn't playing well after the first year the Devils get screwed in the second year of contract thanks to greed. Marty being 40 didn't come as a surprise to anyone. Poor planning on the Devils part.

I am a little surprised at the amount of fans in here nitpicking this deal. It's Martin "Bleeping" Brodeur, our all-time greatest player ... the "Franchise." Did he win the Vezina last year? No, of course not. But he did still get us two games away from the championship.

I have no problems with the contract length or amount. I am simply very very happy Lou and Marty got it done.

And if you're still that down on him, don't worry, in two years max, he'll be gone for good.

I think people are super sensitive right now with the Zach thing going on. There was no option looking to play for the Devils that would do better than Marty for less money, so it was the right deal for all parties. The second year is a little much, but all of our prospects are at the very least 2 years away. Frazee's chance seems to have come and gone unfortunately, Kinkaid didn't play any better than Frazee so he isn't there yet, Wedgewood needs a couple of years in the minors, and Clermont hardly got playing time in the ECHL last year. I think it's pretty definite that we see Moose signed today at some point.

Signing Moose would be a good deal for him and the Devils. He made $1.5 last season what should he get this season considering Marty got $4.5?

I'm very happy about this deal. We really couldn't afford to lose Marty this summer - we had absolutely no plan B. Is 2 years too long? We'll only be able to tell after next year, but if that's what it took to keep him (and that's what the writers suggest), so be it. That's the thing about free agency: you can't have everything go your way, gotta give something to the player. Marty in NJ for 2 years > Marty in Toronto.

If you think he's overpaid... The guy's coming off his best playoffs in 9 years and he's a legend. What exactly did you expect him to make? I'm fine with these numbers, we have the cap space and the extra million or so won't affect Parise. If anything, Brodeur staying can only be an argument for Parise for re-signing, too. I imagine his faith in the organization must be peaking after everything that happened in the last few months.

3 of those results are Dominik Hasek who played for the best teams post-lockout.

If you expand your search to ages 39-46 you'll find that Marty's season this past year ranks him #6 on that list in save percentage and second in wins. Not terrible, really.

Assume Marty retired after this past season, who would have been the goalie for the Devils? Lou created this situation. What if Marty is terrible this coming season will you be happy to have him back another year? If he retires because of he isn't playing well after the first year the Devils get screwed in the second year of contract thanks to greed. Marty being 40 didn't come as a surprise to anyone. Poor planning on the Devils part.

To many what if's in that statement. I am sure if Marty had indicated he was retiring Lou would have made plans. I am of the opinion Marty had decided he would be coming back well before the end of the regular season, therefore the situation never presented itself.

By the same standard what if he plays well this year?

I can’t see there being such a huge drop off. At worst he is a more than serviceable Goalie to split time with someone by the end of the year.

So what if Marty had decided to retire, what is your master plan, given the incredibly poor UFA crop and our lack of assets??

If you expand your search to ages 39-46 you'll find that Marty's season this past year ranks him #6 on that list in save percentage and second in wins. Not terrible, really.

Yeah, because a .908 save percentage is what you want. I mean, some of that is the Prudential home scoring, but still, how can that give you more faith?

The only thing that's good about that list is that there aren't many 40 year old goalies and a lot of them came back when save percentage was wonky because there were 500 power plays a season (2005-06).

Our real problem lies with the goaltenders we have drafted. I mean seriously, who is the last goalie besides Marty that we drafted that actually became anything? Mike Dunham? LOL

Lou did the right thing...

Marty will finish his career as a Devil, with over 700 career wins...

Now let's hope Zach resigns, and we may another glorious Cup run next spring!!!

It'll have to work because a ~.910 save percentage is what Marty's given us most of his career. His career average is .913 so I don't think that .908 is that terrible of a drop really.

As I've argued, I think a #29 pick now is worth a #20 pick in 2 years, but the Devils have absolutely no guarantee of putting themselves in that position, not with ol' slow-starts in net.

I would just take you one further and say that even if we had Marty from six years ago in net, it's very unlikely thatwe'd be drafting that low again.

It'll have to work because a ~.910 save percentage is what Marty's given us most of his career. His career average is .913 so I don't think that .908 is that terrible of a drop really.

Exactly. And Marty won't be starting the vast majority of games anyway. I'm glad we signed our legend.

Our real problem lies with the goaltenders we have drafted. I mean seriously, who is the last goalie besides Marty that we drafted that actually became anything? Mike Dunham? LOL

Haha good point...

1990: (1)Brodeur, (3)Dunham, (10)Corey Schwab.

1993: (9)Judd Lambert.

1994: (6)Luciano Caravaggio, (10)Scott Swanjord

1995: (5)Chris Mason, (8)Frederic Henry

1997: (1)Jean Francois Damphousse, (8)Scott Clemmensen

1999: (1)Ari Ahonen

2000: (5)Matus Kostur

2003: (6)Jason Smith

2004: (6)Josh Disher

2005: (2)Jeff Frazee

2010: (3)Scott Wedgewood, (6)Maxime Clermont

Looks like of these, Chris Mason and Scott Clemmensen were the only ones after Marty's draft year. But, it's also pretty clear that after 1999, it wasn't much of a focus for the Devils.

I would just take you one further and say that even if we had Marty from six years ago in net, it's very unlikely thatwe'd be drafting that low again.

You're not really understanding what I am saying. Let's say that there's no circumvention penalty. The Devils have their #29th overall pick. If you somehow knew that a team would finish 20th in 2 years, would you exchange 1st round picks with them? No, you wouldn't, because a draft pick now is worth more than a draft pick later. It's not about how low you finish - picks 20-30 aren't that far different from one another. The key is getting that low in the draft again, and it might be difficult to do with poor goaltending.

Nd5: goaltending has changed a lot since Brodeur started his career - a .913 was a great save percentage back then, now it is merely average. And again, some of that has to do with undercounting shots - if Brodeur played in Chicago or Florida, his career save percentage would probably be .006 higher.

Edited by Triumph

Haha good point...

1990: (1)Brodeur, (3)Dunham, (10)Corey Schwab.

1993: (9)Judd Lambert.

1994: (6)Luciano Caravaggio, (10)Scott Swanjord

1995: (5)Chris Mason, (8)Frederic Henry

1997: (1)Jean Francois Damphousse, (8)Scott Clemmensen

1999: (1)Ari Ahonen

2000: (5)Matus Kostur

2003: (6)Jason Smith

2004: (6)Josh Disher

2005: (2)Jeff Frazee

2010: (3)Scott Wedgewood, (6)Maxime Clermont

Looks like of these, Chris Mason and Scott Clemmensen were the only ones after Marty's draft year. But, it's also pretty clear that after 1999, it wasn't much of a focus for the Devils.

I forgot about Mason and don't know how I forgot about Clemmensen but ya the proof is all right there. None of these guys have gone on to become really great number 1 starters anywhere. Mason had a few years as a starter but ended up falling off. Clemmensen wasn't even the starter come playoff time this year.

Hopefully Wedgewood comes through but we are going to have to wait and see.

You're not really understanding what I am saying. Let's say that there's no circumvention penalty. The Devils have their #29th overall pick. If you somehow knew that a team would finish 20th in 2 years, would you exchange 1st round picks with them? No, you wouldn't, because a draft pick now is worth more than a draft pick later. It's not about how low you finish - picks 20-30 aren't that far different from one another. The key is getting that low in the draft again, and it might be difficult to do with poor goaltending.

Nd5: goaltending has changed a lot since Brodeur started his career - a .913 was a great save percentage back then, now it is merely average. And again, some of that has to do with undercounting shots - if Brodeur played in Chicago or Florida, his career save percentage would probably be .006 higher.

This is what made Hasek so good in his prime...when he averaged a .930 save% over six years back in the 90s ('93-'99), NO ONE else was doing that.

And Roy is at .910, and he started his career when .900+ was considered outstanding. VBK won a Vezina back in '86 with an .887 save%. That figure gets you cut these days.

Waaay to much money and time, absolutely insane deal if you ask me.

Is nobody else pissed at Marty? I haven't seen that opinion offered yet.

If he really did live for this team and was so loyal then he would have taken a reasonable contract for what he was actually worth instead of getting money hungry when the team is in financial ruin.

Honestly if it weren't Marty, a 40 year old goalie with his current level of play would be hard pressed to get 2.5 million a year, especially for a 2 year deal. I think a one year 3 million dollar contract would be well beyond fair for Brodeur, and would imagine that's what he was being offered at first.

Hell, I'd rather have Michael Leighton at 900k a year for 2 years than Marty for 2 years @ 4.5m per year. They are both goalies that can get hot but generally aren't up to par and let in major softies.

Yes I respect everything hes done but he isn't doing them anymore and a 2 year deal weighs this team down further when his play hasn't warranted it.

I'm just happy we chose to maintain our status as "oldest team in the league." With age comes wisdom.

I've always wondered. How many of our under-counted shots are actually the devils giving up less shots casue marty plays the puck so much and helps the D clear the puck better?

A couple gaffs as well this year(this was the most noticeable the trapezoid rule affected him in a few years) but, when he is playing well, you know he wont get rattled in a big spot.

Not thrilled with the second year, but if any nameless goalie took a team to the finals it'd be tough to not give a second year. I thought he made more highlight reel saves this year then he has in a long time.

He still reminds me of the fastball pitcher that lost his velocity and still wins with junk. Doesn't come back from injury well, but evaluates his game and evolves.