Triumph

Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

519 posts in this topic

Why are the Rangers at 100% they averaged 18,191 but 100% is 18,200. Make it 99.9% espn :rolleyes:

LA's capacity is well over 18,000, but they have 17,920 as 100 percent. Something weird going on.

This is like the Jeter situation, play footsie cause nobody thinks you're going to leave. The tweet by Damien Cox does concern me, but this isn't nearly as acrimonious as the Jeter situation was, and he still came back.

So Zach would rather have a kid starting than a legend who just had a strong second half and playoffs? Holy hell, I need a message board break soon.

Zach knows Marty has to go sooner than later. Zach wouldn't be signing for just one more year, he'd be signing for what? 7,8? The transition has to begin at somepoint.

LA's capacity is well over 18,000, but they have 17,920 as 100 percent. Something weird going on.

I dont like it all, I remember the Rangers having a percentage of 99.9 percent and I was at the only game they did not sell out. It was against the Senators in October, the same day we had that weird fall snowstorm.

Brodeur finished up the playoffs with a .917 SV%, which is slightly above the NHL average. It's not close to the SV%s he put up when he won Stanley Cups. He was also excellent at using his defense and handling the puck, although his roaming did cost the Devils some goals against. Still, the Devils dominant forecheck was the real difference-maker. Brodeur played well, but you're trying to make it seem like no one else could've played that well.

Marty was a cog, not the machine and I went out of my way to mention it several times, never stating he was the sole reason. Last year he was worth 5m when you look at how he played over all, and given that I don't mind gambling on another 5m rather then see him duplicate that performance somewhere else. I'd rather pay him 5m and have him tank for a season and go out as a Devil then spend 5m on a bunch of random FA's. Again, this is money we have to spend anyway.

Brodeur did almost cost the Devils a playoff spot, I won't back off that at all. The Devils got seriously lucky to even be .500 with as poorly as he was playing (and the offense wasn't clicking, either).

By this logic any player or goalie has a bad stretch of play for any team that finishes 11 points or less ahead of 9th almost costs their team a playoff spot then. I know you aren't backing off it, because it's so ridiculous you are going to try and talk circles around the argument. If Marty continued to play the way he did the first half and the Devils got into the playoffs by 1 or 2 points, fine you have an argument. But that's not what happened, he turned it around and played very well.

LOL, no it isn't.

Overreach? Before the All Star Break, here were Marty's numbers: .894 SV%, 2.77 GAA. .894% SV. That would've tied for 46th out of 48 goalies who played 20 or more games last year had it extended over the full season. He was HORRIBLE, costing the team lots of games. In the 2nd half, he made up for it, playing very well and letting the Devils get on several runs. And again, he played quite well in the playoffs.

This is what some people are forgetting.

And Tri is right about the playoffs too...Marty was good in them, sometimes great, but his numbers weren't as impressive as they'd been over previous SC runs (though they were a LOT better than '00-'01 for sure). I felt like as I was watching him, I was watching a guy who was reaching for and squeezing out every last bit of greatness he still had within him.

I think the only thing that can be said about what to expect from Marty on the ice in the future is that we have no idea what to expect! And I don't think the Devils should be handing out lifetime achievement contracts. Even if Marty were to leave, the Devils will take care of him after he retires...he'll probably have some role in the organization, he'll likely have a both Martin Brodeur Day AND a separate jersey retirement day.

I can't get broken up about him possibly leaving. All one has to is take a look at the top 10 winningest goalies of all time in the NHL, and he'll see that all of them played for multiple teams. It's not like if Brodeur leaves, we're seeing him go in the prime of his career, with several big years left. What does he realistically have left? 40-50 wins, maybe? I got to see him win 656 regular season games and 113 playoff games in a Devil uniform. If he adds a little bit to his numbers at the end of career in another uniform, is it going to tarnish everything he did as a New Jersey Devil? Not in my eyes. Does Michael Jordan's Washington Wizard days affect his Chicago Bull heroics?

To sum up, I won't hold anything against Lou or Marty if it doesn't happen. I can understand both parties' positions, and they had one hell of a run together...far, far, far longer than his peers Roy and Hasek enjoyed with any one of their teams.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty was a cog, not the machine and I went out of my way to mention it several times, never stating he was the sole reason. Last year he was worth 5m when you look at how he played over all, and given that I don't mind gambling on another 5m rather then see him duplicate that performance somewhere else. I'd rather pay him 5m and have him tank for a season and go out as a Devil then spend 5m on a bunch of random FA's. Again, this is money we have to spend anyway.

And the year before that he was worth about $700,000, and I'm not joking at all.

By this logic any player or goalie has a bad stretch of play for any team that finishes 11 points or less ahead of 9th almost costs their team a playoff spot then. I know you aren't backing off it, because it's so ridiculous you are going to try and talk circles around the argument. If Marty continued to play the way he did the first half and the Devils got into the playoffs by 1 or 2 points, fine you have an argument. But that's not what happened, he turned it around and played very well.

When that player is playing horribly, and if he's the most important player on the team (the goalie), then yes, he is. The Devils were 26-19-3 at the All-Star Break. Brodeur himself was 14-12-2. But he was lucky to be that good with a .894 SV%. The Devils themselves had a negative goal differential for most of the year and were still barely positive. Why? Brodeur. The offense was average, the defense was great. Brodeur had a .908 SV% which is still below average.

Edited by Triumph

This is what some people are forgetting.

And Tri is right about the playoffs too...Marty was good in them, sometimes great, but his numbers weren't as impressive as they'd been over previous SC runs (though they were a LOT better than '00-'01 for sure). I felt like as I was watching him, I was watching a guy who was reaching for and squeezing out every last bit of greatness he still had within him.

I think the only thing that can be said about what to expect from Marty on the ice in the future is that we have no idea what to expect! And I don't think the Devils should be handing out lifetime achievement contracts. Even if Marty were to leave, the Devils will take care of him after he retires...he'll probably have some role in the organization, he'll likely have a both Martin Brodeur Day AND a separate jersey retirement day.

I can't get broken up about him possibly leaving. All one has to is take a lot at the top 10 winningest goalies of all time in the NHL, and he'll see that all of them played for multiple teams. It's not like if Brodeur leaves, we're seeing him go in the prime of his career, with several big years left. What does he realistically have left? 40-50 wins, maybe? I got to see him win 656 regular season games and 113 playoff games in a Devil uniform. If he adds a little bit to his numbers at the end of career in another uniform, is it going to tarnish everything he did as a New Jersey Devil? Not in my eyes. Does Michael Jordan's Washington Wizard days affect his Chicago Bull heroics?

To sum up, I won't hold anything against Lou or Marty if it doesn't happen. I can understand both parties' positions, and they had one hell of a run together...far, far, far longer than his peers Roy and Hasek enjoyed with any one of their teams.

Agree totally.

@TGfireandice

My understanding is there will be room for both Parise and Brodeur in Devils' budget, but Parise is first piece of the puzzle.

Maybe Brodeur needs $$$. A big divorce, 5 kids. Maybe he spent much more than he should and needs one more big pay day that the Devils can't give right now.

This was not the news I was hoping to see obviously. But I respect his decision to do whatever he wants without calling him a traitor.

@TGfireandice

My understanding is there will be room for both Parise and Brodeur in Devils' budget, but Parise is first piece of the puzzle.

That is good, but I find the prospect of Marty leaving just unthinkable.

He isn't retiring because he had fun HERE.

You can't compare Marty's Playoff numbers compared to historical.

Not many teams had the benefit of Stevens, Nieds, Dano, Rafi playing in front of him. You can't compare the defenses its night and day our Defense today is just very good, not great.

Brodeur just wants to make sure he gets agood deal for one year since he's already getting under paid, he wants to push Louis to pay well after parise is sorted, he's not going anywhere, just using his blackmail rights he never used before. It's his right.

Huh... Not worried yet, but still didn't really see this coming.

Brodeur has made 73 Million in his career. Only guys like Jagr, Pronger, Lidstrom (probably a few more) have made more in their NHL Careers.

Lidstrom topped out at 100 M. Thats w/o any endorsements.

The only thing that sets Brodeur aside is the crazy divorce and 5 kids. probably a big hunk of his $$ went to his ex wife

Probably needs to squeeze a few yrs out

Maybe Brodeur needs $$$. A big divorce, 5 kids. Maybe he spent much more than he should and needs one more big pay day that the Devils can't give right now.

..this.

Marty spends half a million dollars on alimony a year, until 2020. He never got his full market value when he was in his prime that he deserved.. and now (despite being at the age of 40) he may be looking for 1 more pay day.

I agree pretty much with everything Triumph has said.

Broduer, parise, suter, and salvador all go to penguins. Penguins drop fluery and martin

Would that even be possible?

For most of the reasons already mentioned in this thread, I'm not particularly worried about Brodeur leaving. Where is he realistically going to go and be the starter? Chicago and SJ are possibilities, but I doubt he wants to uproot his family or be 3000 miles away from them during the last year he plays. He and Lou probably couldn't agree on a number, and he will use other offers (if any are even made to him) as leverage. I can't see him leaving here under any circumstances, but I also don't see him coming back for anything less than $5 million on a 1 year deal (if someone gives him a multi-year deal at 40, then they are nuts).

Fact is that we need him as much as he needs us. The kids aren't ready and there is nobody worthwile to replace him through FA this season. He has nowhere to truly go to and be a starter and the 1 other place he might like to play (Montreal) already has an entrenched goalie that they will soon sign to an extension.

Everything is hinging on Zach. Marty needs an agent because he WILL get calls Sunday and he may as well listen to them, whether he would ever leave or not.

Again, teams will line up to sign him one year deal just for the buzz and $$ he'd bring in. He's good enough to start majority of games too, esp w his puck handling abilities. Lou better lock him up for one more year so we are not scrambling for a goalie.

restructure kovalchuks deal...........

What good is that going to do? TG has said we have the money to pay Parise and Marty. 5m for a 40+ year old goaltender who was not very consistent last year is not a good business decision. Marty is going to find his pickins slim and the money even slimmer. There are very few playoff teams that he would be able to go in and start regularly with and then it becomes which team wants to bring him in as an attraction to get butts in the seats.

My guess is if he's not with us, he goes to the loser of the Luongo sweepstakes. Florida or Toronto. I could see Chicago kicking their tires on him a bit.

Its also against the current CBA to re-negotiate terms.

11.10 No Renegotiation. In no event shall a Club and a Player negotiate a change in

any terms of a Player SPC for the then-current season or for any remaining season of an

SPC. This provision shall not prohibit a Player and Club from negotiating an extension

to an existing SPC in accordance with the terms of Section 50.5(f) hereof or from

negotiating a new or reformed SPC or Offer Sheet in the limited context and time-frame

expressly set forth in Section 11.6(a)(vi) above.

Let me speculate on this a bit based on nothing but my own imagination if you will. Lou wants Brodeur to take a pay cut, Brodeur wants the same or a slight bump, and thus we are at and impasse.

Exactly.

Tough decisions ahead for Lou. I'm not even sure bringing Marty back at same price is in best interest of the team. We shall see.