Question for computer people

devilsfan26

I just reinstalled Windows XP on my computer, and now I have no internet connection. Keeps saying there is no modem connected, but I just made sure all the wires and stuff are plugged in, and they are. Also says there are no speakers or printers either.

:noclue:

This really sucks, I can't do anything anymore, and the only time I get to come here is when I have free time in school.

Oh well, at least school is about to end so I won't need to go online to research stuff and hockey season is over so I won't need to check scores or anything....

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do you have all of your device drivers? That could be why your system's not finding anything, especially if your motherboard drivers aren't installed. Try reinstalling the drivers for the motherboard, modem, sound card, and printer, and see if that does anything for you.

Check device manager (right-click "My Computer", select "Properties", click "Hardware", click "Device Manager") to see if your modem has drivers properly installed. If it does not, it would show up with a yellow question mark icon.. A red X through the icon would mean the device is disabled.

If the modem does have drivers installed, check "Phone and Modem Options" in "Control Panel" to see if the modem is actually responding to commands from the OS.

Bill

Edited by DevilsRule.com

hopefully you have all the install disks for the modem, sound card, etc that you got with the thing (either that or you bought a dell, if so then it's easy to get them and I could always re-download the drivers you need that way since I still have a dell support login and bring them Thurs or Sat)

this again proves what I was saying about the evils of win XP :D

Heh, anyone can get a Dell Support login. :P

But yah, if it's a Dell, then all you need is the Modem Helper program and the Resource CD (if the other drivers aren't loaded).

Whether they send you the CD or not is up to the tech you talk to. :D

I've not had any surprises in OSX.... everything seems hunky-doory.

Plus I like that my shell is to UNIX, not DOS. :lol:

The hard part is going back and forth from work/home. Everything at work is Windows, so I have to know twice the applications.

I had similar problems when I first got this computer in March.

It took me about an hour of messing with it to find it...

If you want to test the connection

go to run and type in winipcfg

depending on your results there it will tell you if you have your modem and everything plugged in correctly...

I believe you have to mess around with your network connections...

If you want to test the connection

go to run and type in winipcfg

depending on your results there it will tell you if you have your modem and everything plugged in correctly...

I believe you have to mess around with your network connections...

You can't use winipcfg in XP. Also, if you run that (or ipconfig in XPs case) it won't tell you jacksh!t if you are not connected to the internet (or any network) and not pulling an IP address. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure it'll even tell you anything if you ARE connected via a modem.

sammy it will still tell you your IP but that's still pretty useless

unless the IP starts with 169.254.x.x then there's a problem getting an IP addy

but I DOUBT highly that being the case

sammy it will still tell you your IP but that's still pretty useless

unless the IP starts with 169.254.x.x then there's a problem getting an IP addy

but I DOUBT highly that being the case

Yah I kinda figured it would, but to be honest, I've never messed around with winipcfg and ipconfig when I used a modem, and I haven't had to deal with a modem that hasn't worked in years. Nowadays if there is ever a problem with a modem it's either reinstall the driver or buy a new modem.

Try Add New Hardware from the Control Panel. Do an automatic search for the driver. If it doesn't find anything through the auto-search, insert the driver CD/floppy and browse/select the file/directory where they are located. See if that works.

Also, go to Control Panel >> Printers and Other Hardware >> Phone and Modem Options >> Modems tab >> Properties >> Diagnostics tab >> Query Modem. What do you get?

Edited by Leafs_whine_2_much

Definitely drivers. Find the missing hardware on your device manager list and right click then choose update drivers and have your disk ready and point it to the correct version of the drivers. Wallah you're up and running. Who'd you buy the PC from or did you build it? Out of curiousity what's it got in it?

I just reinstalled Windows XP on my computer, and now I have no internet connection. Keeps saying there is no modem connected, but I just made sure all the wires and stuff are plugged in, and they are. Also says there are no speakers or printers either.

:noclue:

This really sucks, I can't do anything anymore, and the only time I get to come here is when I have free time in school.

Oh well, at least school is about to end so I won't need to go online to research stuff and hockey season is over so I won't need to check scores or anything....

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

...How are you posting on a forum without a internet connection??? :noclue::lol::lol:

Dial up or broadband?

I tried to fix it for him, the night of game 7, it is definitely a drvier problem. I didn't spend a lot of time with it though. If i go back to his house , with the stuff that all of you have posted I'm pretty sure I can fix it.

...How are you posting on a forum without a internet connection??? :noclue::lol::lol:

:lol: I'm using the computer in my business management class. Just in case you don't believe me, and think I'm trying to put up another act like overrated elias, I guess you can just check the times of all my posts in the last few days. They're all within the same 90 minutes.

I knew someone would ask. :P

:lol: Yea I figured you were using another computer, but I figured I'd bust your chops a little. :P

You have Dial up or Broadband?......If its Broadband, you may just have to set up you connection in internet settings under the connections tab. Or at least check the settings in there. :unsure: .....just trying to help. :ph34r: ..

depends on his school though... a well designed school network is not gonna let him

download a big driver file like that... but from my years of working the schools i know ones like that are few and far between :lol:

get that damn thing fixed already though !! :P

FINALLY, I am up and running again. twistedwrister's friend fixed up my computer for me. I have no idea what he did though, because I was in the bathroom. :P

EDIT: Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Good to know there are people here that are willing to help other people solve their problems. :)

Edited by devilsfan26