Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewarkDevil5

Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

383 posts in this topic

If we had Semin I'd probably want to try him out on a line with Ilya whether with Zajac or Henrique centering. I'd love to see if there could be some chemistry created there.

Kovy-Zajac-Semin

Elias-Henrique-Zubrus

Teddy-Josefson-Clarkson

CBGB

Barch/Cam

That lineup sounds good to me.

Edited by TheMazz

Kovy-Zajac-Semin

Elias-Henrique-Zubrus

Teddy-Josefson-Clarkson

CBGB

Barch/Cam

That lineup sounds good to me.

Looks good but still not sold on that third line. I hope Tedenby finally works out.

Edited by DevsMan84

Looks good but still not sold on that third line. I hope Tedenby finally works out.

Well then re-signing Sykora I would think isn't out of the question. This would give the Devils a potential third line of:

Sykora-Josefson-Clarkson.

Although I really hope Tedenby works out as well. This is going to be what I assume is a "prove yourself" year for him. In my opinion, what I believe is the most likely scenario is if Tedenby DOESN'T pan out (and only if doesn't) then a trade will be made.

Edited by TheMazz

I thought went he was paired with JJ and Clarkson he looked the most comfortable so maybe if he gets this shot it will finally work out for him

If we had Semin I'd probably want to try him out on a line with Ilya whether with Zajac or Henrique centering. I'd love to see if there could be some chemistry created there.

I see where you're coming from. Personally, I would be afraid that Semin and Kovy's styles are too similar to put them on the same line. You need someone to go into the corners and dig out pucks much like Zach used to. I don't see either of these 2 doing that. Plus, you can't expect the center to be the 1st guy in on the forecheck either. For those reasons, I had them split up with Henrique on the first line to take over for Zach, and Zubrus on the 2nd to forecheck and cycle the hell out of other teams.

Either way, the 1st 2 lines are much more formidible with Semin in the lineup than without him. I just feel that, without someone there to replace some, if not all, of Zach's offensive production, this team will struggle mightily to score more than 1 or 2 goals per game next season.

Theres a poll on NHL.com asking who's going to sign Semin. We're currently 3rd in the poll behind the rest of the field and Detroit. Doesnt mean anything, but guess can't give up hope for his possible signing here yet.

http://www.nhl.com

Its on the bottom right of the frontpage

Edited by ghdi

@dchesnokov

Semin's agent Mark Gandler tells SovSport "Washington is constantly offering us to come back." #Caps

@dchesnokov

Maybe, but on what terms. Obviously, the offer can't be very good which says a lot more about what they think of him. Gandler is going to have to work harder for this client than he has for anyone else, which is amazing considering the pure talent Semin possesses.

I just want him to sign somewhere already or go back to Russia and play in the KHL. Hopefully he signs with US! C'MON LOU!!!

ToddCordell: Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, when asked if they've been talking with the #NJDevils: "I can't comment (on that)."

Take that as you will but personally, when I hear "I can't comment" or "no comment" I feel that means that something is brewing...

But perhaps that is just me looking too much into it.

ToddCordell: Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, when asked if they've been talking with the #NJDevils: "I can't comment (on that)."

Take that as you will but personally, when I hear "I can't comment" or "no comment" I feel that means that something is brewing...

Eh its more than nothing but less than something.

Eh its more than nothing but less than something.

It does sound Devilish though. Maybe since we hardly ever hear about the Devils being involved in a free agent we just assume now when someone says they can't comment that it means he is signing here. Gosh just pick somewhere already alex.

It is looking too much into it. Cheshnokov said the agent's favorite two words were 'no comment'. And if the offers are as bad as they seem, I wouldn't want to go advertising that anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You're looking too much into it. The same "No comment" is the same answer he's given to other bloggers from other teams. The only thing its better than is "The Devils or Semin is not interested", and thats the only thing Im holding onto in respect to Semin coming here. There's been nothing but speculation on who can use him and nothing substantial as to our interest.

Semin has no incentive to sign right now. I wouldnt be surprised if he's not signed till sometime later in August or at least not until Doan is off the market.

This does leave the possibility there & that he is respecting Lou's Status Quo philosophy. But I aint going to be breaking out the celebratory box of doanuts just yet.

I thought it was just waiting on him getting back from Mother Russia, is he back in the USA yet??

This does leave the possibility there & that he is respecting Lou's Status Quo philosophy. But I aint going to be breaking out the celebratory box of doanuts just yet.

I thought it was just waiting on him getting back from Mother Russia, is he back in the USA yet??

DOANuts!!! :yea:

Anybody hear anything new on Semin now that Nash is a Rag?

I hope there is no news because he's out drinking vodka with Kovy :evil:

The lack of rumors connecting this guy to any team is frustrating. I want something to happen already!

Well now that the Flyers have been burned on Weber, Suter and Parise they'll probably throw crazy money at Semin and/or Doan since they've clearly got money burning a hole in their pocket.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well now that the Flyers have been burned on Weber, Suter and Parise they'll probably throw crazy money at Semin and/or Doan since they've clearly got money burning a hole in their pocket.

I wonder if they'll turn towards the long awaited/rumored/speculated Bobby Ryan trade?

Flyers are trying to complete their fat chick at prom trilogy and get denied by all available free agents this summer, and they don't even have a great personality.

Flyers are trying to complete their fat chick at prom trilogy and get denied by all available free agents this summer, and they don't even have a great personality.

Then they'll sign some classless goons and call it "Just going with our friends."

Don't know if its been said in here yet, but semin is apparently asking for 7 mil a year. I wouldn't be upset with that salary number, if it was a short 3-4 year deal, don't know about you guys.

Then they'll sign some classless goons and call it "Just going with our friends."

What if they Flyers signed Sean Avery :X :ECW::rofl:

and I wouldn't mind signing Semin to a 7 mil a year contract for 3/4 years

Don't know if its been said in here yet, but semin is apparently asking for 7 mil a year. I wouldn't be upset with that salary number, if it was a short 3-4 year deal, don't know about you guys.

Financial issues aside, I could live with something close to 3 years/$21 million.

That puts us right around where you could expect the cap to be after the new CBA, and that's without taking into consideration the net cap savings we might get as a result of trading a defenseman. While Henrique, Zajac (if we can keep him), and maybe Clarkson are due for raises next year, that should be roughly offset by the loss of Zidlicky's cap hit plus the lower cap hits that we'll probably have for Elias and Zubrus.