Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewarkDevil5

Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

383 posts in this topic

Question: if we sign Semin and after a year or two it's clearly not working out, can he be transferred to the KHL? Would we get out of having to pay him if that happens?

He could just walk out on his deal. I'm not sure about the assignment. Vish got assigned to the KHL but I'm not sure what that did to his NHL deal.

According to the Ottawa Sun the Semin sweepstakes is down to NJ and Detroit. Not sure how true it is but Ill trust a major newspaper over a twitter account anyday.

My first reaction was to discredit it since I assumed it was written by that tool Bruce Garrioch but I was wrong. I'm not sure how credible the author, Don Brennan, is but it is interesting to see the Devils attached to Semin according to his sources.

Here is the article:

From what we are led to believe, only the New Jersey Devils and Detroit Red Wings have expressed any real interest in Semin.

Semin’s agent, Mark Gandler, recently told ESPN The Magazine that the Capitals mishandled the gifted Russian right winger. He said Semin, who has a strong preference to play in the NHL rather than go back home and become a KHLer, wants to have the expanded role Washington wouldn’t offer.

He wants to kill penalties and play in the last minute of games. He wants more ice time than the 16:47 he averaged last season the Capitals, his lowest since he was a rookie in 2003-04.

Could semin play the RW?

Thats basically his primary position. He played RW more often than not in Washington.

Question: if we sign Semin and after a year or two it's clearly not working out, can he be transferred to the KHL? Would we get out of having to pay him if that happens?

Nope. We'd have to release him for the KHL to even make an offer. Theres a standing agreement between the leagues that we won't offer currently contracted KHL players contracts and vice versa. Im pretty sure (not positive) that if it didnt work out, the only way we could get rid of him is via waivers, but I assume the money would still count towards the cap.

IE Radulov was RFA after this season, the KHL signed him and Nashville didnt make him a qualifying offer.

Here is the article:

He wants to kill penalties and play in the last minute of games. He wants more ice time than the 16:47 he averaged last season the Capitals, his lowest since he was a rookie in 2003-04.

smilydev.gif

Nope. We'd have to release him for the KHL to even make an offer. Theres a standing agreement between the leagues that we won't offer currently contracted KHL players contracts and vice versa. Im pretty sure (not positive) that if it didnt work out, the only way we could get rid of him is via waivers, but I assume the money would still count towards the cap.

IE Radulov was RFA after this season, the KHL signed him and Nashville didnt make him a qualifying offer.

That agreement isn't worth sh!t. Especially if the NHL doesn't go to Sochi.

I'd be fine with this unless he's looking for a career contract. I'd rather have a higher cap hit than extra years at a lower salary.

Wow, Alexander Semin still can't speak almost any english. He doesn't even make an effort. I know it's difficult but he's been here for years now.

That's why I love the guy. He doesn't give a fvck. Haha.

he shoots right handed. something really lacking on our team.

Slava Malamud (Sports Express, NHL.com)

There are unconfirmed (!) reports that CSKA's offer to Semin stand at 3 years, $30 million. Pretty ridiculous money, if you ask me. #Caps

— Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud)

July 8, 2012

"There are unconfirmed (!) reports that CSKA's offer to Semin stand at 3 years, $30 million. Pretty ridiculous money, if you ask me. "

Semin CSKA reports are published in RUS media, siting American sources. Whether they're factual or not, Semin clearly wants to sign here.

— Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud)

July 8, 2012

"Semin CSKA reports are published in RUS media, siting American sources. Whether they're factual or not, Semin clearly wants to sign here."

I believe "here" means NHL.

Slava Malamud (Sports Express, NHL.com)

https://twitter.com/...965392023797760

"Semin CSKA reports are published in RUS media, siting American sources. Whether they're factual or not, Semin clearly wants to sign here."

I believe "here" means NHL.

So the Russians are citing an American source about the Russian offer?

Man, TSN really hates Semin:

Matthew Ross ‏@TSNmatthew

@SlavaMalamud that's like 20million a year since he shows up only every second game! ‪#Semin‬ ‪#KHL‬

Man, TSN really hates Semin:

Matthew Ross ‏@TSNmatthew

@SlavaMalamud that's like 20million a year since he shows up only every second game! ‪#Semin‬ ‪#KHL‬

I saw that...the line didn't make any sense to me.

I saw that...the line didn't make any sense to me.

If he makes 10 million a year for "playing only 41 games", in essence he's getting paid double. It's a really lame joke.

If he makes 10 million a year for "playing only 41 games", in essence he's getting paid double. It's a really lame joke.

Yea...it doesn't make any sense how he said it...but I won't dissect the joke.

I'd be fine with this unless he's looking for a career contract. I'd rather have a higher cap hit than extra years at a lower salary.

Yup, ink a 2 or 3 year deal and worry about long term later if he works out.

I really envy LL's job. What fun this would be.

I really wish some news would come out. I cant stand all the bogus twitter rumours. This one was probably the best one ive seen.

#NJD Lou will try to sign Semin to keep Kovy in NJ, but if he loses out, Kovy trade request will become formal. #NHL # KHL -- HenriqueSuave14 (@HenriqueSuave14)

Twitter is the worst thing in the world because it lets idiots have an opinion when they don't deserve to have one.

Twitter is the worst thing in the world because it lets idiots have an opinion when they don't deserve to have one.

Yep. Before 2006, idiots around the world wandered around through life not having opinions because Twitter hadn't been invented yet.

That would happen here, but we have you to stop it.

Edited by ben00rs

I really wish some news would come out. I cant stand all the bogus twitter rumours. This one was probably the best one ive seen.

#NJD Lou will try to sign Semin to keep Kovy in NJ, but if he loses out, Kovy trade request will become formal. #NHL # KHL -- HenriqueSuave14 (@HenriqueSuave14)

rofl.gif

Yep. Before 2006, idiots around the world wandered around through life not having opinions because Twitter hadn't been invented yet.

Well, there was the innerweb then.... and now.

I wish Semin would announce what he's doing already.

I wish Semin would announce what he's doing already.

Not signing with the Devils.