New TG post

Z-Man

“Harrold is a player that became very important,” Lamoriello said. “He can play forward and he can play defense. He might be a swingman. I don’t know. We’ll have to see what transpires. Plus, when you have eight defensemen, you also have something that is an asset to get something else. Who knows?”

That's as close to saying that a defenseman will be traded in Lou-speak.

Lots of interesting comments in there. Pointing out Kovy has had no surgery and would have had it by now too, is kind of dissapointing. I hope his back can heal fully because the Devils will need him.

Strange that Harrold being mentioned as a forward/Dman is such a positive. I mean he didn't play awful when he switched forward but that seems like an odd thing to rely on.

For the #freezharkov movement:

Lamoriello said he was not taken by surprised by restricted free agent Vladimir Zharkov’s decision to sign a two-year contract to play in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League with CSKA Moskow and hopes that it turns out to be a positive for the 24-year-old right wing. Zharkov played in only four NHL games last season and spent most of the season in the AHL with Albany where he had 15 goals and 24 assists in 59 games.

The Devils maintain Zharkov’s NHL rights.

He’s regressed unfortunately, and maybe he’ll go find his game,” Lamoriello said.

Conte, Kowalsky & Co. must have seen something pretty significant for Lou to come right out and say a player regressed. Interesting.

I'm really hoping he only means as injury fill in.

I'm pretty sure that's what Lou means. Harrold's first role is as a DMan. But the fact that Harrold can play both roles makes him versatile to fill in in games where a forward is injured instead of a Brad Mills or god forbid, Tim Sestito.

Very concerned about the part talking about not knowing whether Kovalchuk will need surgery or not. The start of the season could be very ugly.

A month long lockout wouldn't be so bad, all things considered.

What I've heard is that it was a problem with his sciatic nerve. Any medical types know how serious that is?

What I've heard is that it was a problem with his sciatic nerve. Any medical types know how serious that is?

It is something that is usually treated by injections and physical therapy. Surgery is an option and after surgery it takes months for the nerves to heal.

it basically means the nerve was pinched, so i guess the rest for the lower back will hopefully release the tension caused by the inflammation and they won't do surgery. i think the surgery would be too risky to consider if the inflammation is the only issue. those kinds of inflammations only go away by resting.

It depends on how severe. A lot of times these injuries can go away with just rest, allowing the nerve to heal. If its more serious and involves discs in the back i.e. a bulging disc up against the nerve, then surgery is possibly needed, but severity can be minor to major.

Its hard to say how serious it is because there's so many different things that can cause it and so many variables that we don't know about Kovy right now. Skating/running is the worst thing for it in any case.

The fact that he's getting so many different opinions and its taking so long, leads me to believe its probably not that severe. They're probably having an issue deciding on the correct method of treatment. Back surgery of any kind involving the sciatic nerve is not something to take lightly, even if minor.

My mother had issues with her sciatic nerve. it's really painful and the pain shoots down your legs. Many people have to stay off their feet for long stretches. The news on Kovy having an issues with his sciatic nerve is just testament to his commitment.

I agree, for Kovalchuk to battle through and somehow manage to play despite this pain is beyond me and a showing of his character. I've been having sciatic nerve problems lately and there are times were I have to stop doing whatever I am doing since the shooting pain into my leg makes it unbearable to walk. I have no idea how the hell this guy skated with something like that.

I agree, for Kovalchuk to battle through and somehow manage to play despite this pain is beyond me and a showing of his character. I've been having sciatic nerve problems lately and there are times were I have to stop doing whatever I am doing since the shooting pain into my leg makes it unbearable to walk. I have no idea how the hell this guy skated with something like that.

"C"ovalchuk.

• Like 1

I still re-watch the play where he set poni up in OT against philly over and over, one of the most incredible shifts i've ever seen a player have in an NJ uniform. Happened on my birthday too. As far as i'm concerned the dude established himself as a warrior this spring.