Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet

ghdi

As I predicted yesterday the contract would be more than 100 mill. But am I the only one here who thought it was still going to be a bigger contract than it is? I don't think it's so bad at all for him.

Shea's contract is about as high as you can go while keeping a reasonable cap hit. 14m is the most you can make in any given season (based on this years cap), and he got it for his first 4 years. With this contract Shea will probably be the highest paid player in the NHL for the next several years as no one else makes more then 12 and no one else will be able to sign for more for a while.

KatieStrangESPN

#NYR Rangers were also on Shea Weber's short list; d-man RFA visited NY recently, ESPN NY has learned. Story to come

#NYR Weber liked NYR org -- ownership, hockey ops, coaching -- but prospect of living in Manhattan was main deterrent

Because living in the world's greatest city with unlimited funds and anonymity is so terrible.

As I predicted yesterday the contract would be more than 100 mill. But am I the only one here who thought it was still going to be a bigger contract than it is? I don't think it's so bad at all for him.

If Weber were a UFA he'd probably get a bigger contract. If the CBA were expiring next year Weber probably would have just taken a one year deal and gone to UFA to get that pay day, but I'm sure he's scared of max length contracts being introduced.

A lot of teams would not balk at matching it, but Nashville's relative frugality and the signing bonus issue might make them decide to let him go.

If so, I think the Flyers come out huge winners. Too bad the rest of their D is atrocious, and they made that stupid Luke Schenn trade.

Shea's contract is about as high as you can go while keeping a reasonable cap hit. 14m is the most you can make in any given season (based on this years cap), and he got it for his first 4 years. With this contract Shea will probably be the highest paid player in the NHL for the next several years as no one else makes more then 12 and no one else will be able to sign for more for a while.

I figured years 7-10 would give him more than 6 mill. At least I didn't think it would go from 12 to 6 when it does. I was thinking he would get 115-120 million when all was said and done.

Edited by ben00rs

If Weber were a UFA he'd probably get a bigger contract. If the CBA were expiring next year Weber probably would have just taken a one year deal and gone to UFA to get that pay day, but I'm sure he's scared of max length contracts being introduced.

A lot of teams would not balk at matching it, but Nashville's relative frugality and the signing bonus issue might make them decide to let him go.

If so, I think the Flyers come out huge winners. Too bad the rest of their D is atrocious, and they made that stupid Luke Schenn trade.

This is only a good deal for the Flyers if they can get some picks back from somewhere when they move 1 or 2 defenseman. Other then obviously important at the draft, having first round picks is usually a necessary asset when it comes to the trade deadline.

My money is on Nashville matching, and trading him next offseason before the 2nd bonus is due. Dreger tweeted that the Preds wanted Couturier, Schenn and another player for Weber. They can probably get a somewhat comparable package next year from Philly, Detroit, NY, etc. with one of the $14 million paydays already expired off the contract.

The Preds only have $40 million in salary tied up this year. They need to reach the floor, anyway. Weber's $7.8 cap hit (plus Kostitsyn and Wilson) will get them to the floor.

KatieStrangESPN

#NYR Rangers were also on Shea Weber's short list; d-man RFA visited NY recently, ESPN NY has learned. Story to come

#NYR Weber liked NYR org -- ownership, hockey ops, coaching -- but prospect of living in Manhattan was main deterrent

Shows me that the Rags know that their major weakness is defensive depth. Hopefully they lose sight of this and trade McDonough or Del Zotto when their idiot fans start demanding getting Nash or Bobby Ryan at all costs, except Kreider, because of a two week stretch of subpar scoring.

Edited by Daniel

I figured years 7-10 would give him more than 6 mill. At least I didn't think it would go from 12 to 6 when it does. I was thinking he would get 115-120 million when all was said and done.

I really don't know how much more he was really going to get. He's basically got the second biggest contract in NHL history, his average cap hit will be the biggest amonsgt all Defense, and 5th overall, and 3 of the 4 people who have higher hits have lengths of 7 years or under.

My money is on Nashville matching, and trading him next offseason before the 2nd bonus is due. Dreger tweeted that the Preds wanted Couturier, Schenn and another player for Weber. They can probably get a somewhat comparable package next year from Philly, Detroit, NY, etc. with one of the $14 million paydays already expired off the contract.

The Preds only have $40 million in salary tied up this year. They need to reach the floor, anyway. Weber's $7.8 cap hit (plus Kostitsyn and Wilson) will get them to the floor.

Whatever comes of the new CBA I think the floor is going to be around 45-50m, which Nashville can hit with Kostitsyn, Wilson + a spare part UFA. Using Weber to hit that number with the intent of trading him the next year is basically just throwing away money. Assume a 50m floor, 6m for Kostitsyn/Wilson, matching Weber offer sheet means doling out 14m for his first year, or another way to look at it, 10m more then they otherwise would need too. Then they have to trade him before his next signing bonus kicks in, and even then I don't think they are going to get more value then just the 4 1st round picks can net you. For the next 4 years the Preds will be in a good spot to trade up and grab blue chip prospects by moving their pick + the Flyers to jump up, or trading off those extra picks for whatever.

I really don't know how much more he was really going to get. He's basically got the second biggest contract in NHL history, his average cap hit will be the biggest amonsgt all Defense, and 5th overall, and 3 of the 4 people who have higher hits have lengths of 7 years or under.

I don't dispute its a big contract - but all the momentum of recent long-term contracts and all the new emphasis on the importance of having that monster d-man, imo pointed to Weber getting the biggest contract ever - it was just a question of "how much?" and to me, all the signs pointed towards the 115 million range. I'm not saying 110 doesn't fit nor am I saying 115-120 is that much more; I'm just saying that I thought it would be more.

Shea Weber will probably be playing hockey when he is 38,39 and maybe 40. Kovalchuk is pretty unlikely to be playing at 42,43,44,45.

The problem is not getting paid less in your final years, that's been well established as kosher by the league, the problem is adding low paying years when it's not reasonable to expect the player to still be playing.

So again we get to the age thing. There was no age rule in the CBA, the Devils should not have been punished for it. Having the contract voided, yes obviously the arbitrator ruled against it so it had to be voided. But punishing them for violating a rule that didn't exist was always silly and looks even more silly now. Weber's getting half his $110 million after the first three years of his deal for crying out loud :puke:

I really don't understand why you guys are defending the league so much here. It's selective enforcement. Either way it's gaming the system. Kovy got $12 million over the first two years, Weber's getting $28 and yet putting years on the back end that are easily adjustable is worth off with your draft picks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Shows me that the Rags know that their major weakness is defensive depth. Hopefully they lose sight of this and trade McDonough or Del Zotto when their idiot fans start demanding getting Nash or Bobby Ryan at all costs, except Kreider, because of a two week stretch of subpar scoring.

I dont think this necessarily means that. This is Shea Weber. Getting him would allow them to trade one of their younger defenseman for offensive help and puts a rock on their blueline for the next 10 years. Its essentially the ultimate upgrade. There's not much better than Weber in this league.

There is not one team in this league that couldnt use Shea Weber.

Another Richards contract. Too bad the league couldn't block all of these contingent on the upcoming negotiations. :lol:

Obviously this is heavily frontloaded as a poison pill.

This makes Richards/Ehrhoff/Bryzgalov look like child's play. In hindsight I'm shocked teams weren't using huge signing bonuses like this before last offseason.

So again we get to the age thing. There was no age rule in the CBA, the Devils should not have been punished for it. Having the contract voided, yes obviously the arbitrator ruled against it so it had to be voided. But punishing them for violating a rule that didn't exist was always silly and looks even more silly now. Weber's getting half his $110 million after the first three years of his deal for crying out loud :puke:

I really don't understand why you guys are defending the league so much here. It's selective enforcement. Either way it's gaming the system. Kovy got $12 million over the first two years, Weber's getting $28 and yet putting years on the back end that are easily adjustable is worth off with your draft picks.

The Devil's should not have been punished for the contract because there was no precedent at the time about, yes I agree. But a line had to be drawn somewhere and now one has been set. And it's basically do whatever the hell you want with contracts as long as it doesn't take a player past 41, if you do, we now have a new rule for for that. If the NHL doesn't void Kovy's contract's there would have eventually been a ton of 20-30 year contracts given out to players to reduce cap hits to 3 or 4m for players making 10m a year during their playing years.

Also in general I don't think it's fair to look at Kovy's individual years to compare against other players, it's just weird 6-6-11-11.3-11.3-11.6-11.8-10-7-4-1-1-1-3-4.

If it seems like I am defending the league it's because for once I think they are being consistent, they saw some contracts that were pushing the finer edge of circumvention, then our's came along (clearly the most egregious), it broke the donkey's back and they put the kibosh on it. All they want is contracts that basically have a 1:1 ratio of dollars spent to cat hit used and by in large all the contracts since have conformed to that.

This makes Richards/Ehrhoff/Bryzgalov look like child's play. In hindsight I'm shocked teams weren't using huge signing bonuses like this before last offseason.

It's only effective in certain situations, no player really needs a signing bonus in the NHL unless there is a threat of a lockout, and no team really needs to give them out unless they are trying to muscle a player away from a financially strapped team.

according to brooks' latest - weber didn't want to live in westchester while the rest of the team lives in manhattan. obviously poile was looking to deal him and they and philly couldn't agree on a deal so Philly just gave him the offer sheet.

he's not going to match and weber will be in philly - its a fait acompli. at this point, i'm hoping that philly sends useful pieces back (like courturier) to nashville. i do not look forward to having to deal w/ weber in philly.

IMO the preds HAVE to match and trade him later if they can for NHL players... they cant lose Suter for NOTHING then lose Weber for 4 first round picks who could never make the NHL or be impact players + it would take like 10 years to get those 4 picks in the NHL together... with their actually roster they cant afford to lose him for picks (especially for late round picks)

Edited by SterioDesign

according to brooks' latest - weber didn't want to live in westchester while the rest of the team lives in manhattan. obviously poile was looking to deal him and they and philly couldn't agree on a deal so Philly just gave him the offer sheet.

he's not going to match and weber will be in philly - its a fait acompli. at this point, i'm hoping that philly sends useful pieces back (like courturier) to nashville. i do not look forward to having to deal w/ weber in philly.

If the Preds do not match, why would the Flyers be sending Courturier to Nashville?!?

If the Preds do not match, why would the Flyers be sending Courturier to Nashville?!?

instead of the 4 firsts. they would get something like two firsts and courturier or something. basically Nashville is going to trade 2 of the 4 firsts for NHL talent - perhaps back to Philly or to someone else.

what is almost guaranteed:

Weber is in Philly

Nashville deals 2 of those 4 picks somewhere within the week for NHL talent.

what is almost guaranteed:

Weber is in Philly

Nashville deals 2 of those 4 picks somewhere within the week for NHL talent.

If I'm Nashville and I don't match, I'm basically deciding to bottom out for the next 4 years to get elite talent. No use hanging on and panic trading those picks for players, it's over.

If I'm Nashville and I don't match, I'm basically deciding to bottom out for the next 4 years to get elite talent. No use hanging on and panic trading those picks for players, it's over.

The Predators won't bottom out. They have worked so hard to get where they needed to be in terms of success, fanbase, sponsors, etc. To lose both Suter and Weber, and blow everything else up...they won't do it even if it was the smartest thing to do for the long-term success of the hockey team. The Predators need to sell hope to their fans, and do something to make a splash.

Edited by devilsrule33

Nashville is not bottoming out without Weber and Suter. They've consistently lost very good talent to other teams during UFA time and remain a consistent performer. They've lost Hamhuis, Hartnell, Timmonen, Joel Ward, Vokoun, Ellis, Mason, and Lindback but they still remain competitive. I can't recall any others off the top of my head right now, but I'm sure there are others.