• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

Whether it's fair or not is irrelevant, just that they have no right to be taking it as an 'insult' when they wound up on the long end of the exact same percentage in the last CBA. So I guess they were insulting the owners offering 57-43 at the end of the last CBA? The NBA's first offer was even worse than that lol.

I mean first offers are first offers, and no one cares about them today. But the NHL is making record revenues - I'd be a little insulted if I worked somewhere that was making record profits, in part because of my work, and they offered me and everyone else there 20% less money. But that's business, I don't think anyone cares about it now.

If it's so ludicrous on their end, they should realize that's how the end of the last CBA looked to the owners. But it's telling you think even 57-43 for the players isn't 'fair'.

No percentage is fair. When you cut percentages like the NHL has, what you end up doing is forcing small market teams to spend beyond their means while big market teams rake in money. And you put out of reach that money that the big market teams rake in - money they want to spend on players. And of course they don't want to just give it to other teams in revenue sharing - it's theirs! They earned it! (By enforcing a municipally-funded monopoly such that competitors can't enter their market w/o buying a franchise and paying exorbitant fees)

The owners signed every single one of those contracts that were so unfair. The players did not compel them to do so. I don't understand how you don't understand this - the percentage of revenue that players ultimately got in 2004 were the owners and GMs doing and theirs alone (beyond, of course, the CBA put in place which allowed the owners to do that).

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

I wish we could...subscribe to something and we'd just get a text or an email as soon theres an announcement about the end of the lockout

I hear ya, I'm tired of refreshing Twitter and checking the boards. At least there should only be another week or so of this at most.

Of course if we do get an agreement then it's going to be another week of mass chaos as guys get signed, trades get made :lol:

I just get TGs tweets sent to my phone via text message. Really convenient in my opinion. I don't spend any time on twitter and I found out right away when something happens.

Except when TG has fifty tweets in a day lol...I suspect like five minutes after the lockout ends the Devils are gonna be sending out form e-mails to sth's anyway so I probably will get a 'notification' in that way - but I still can't help but check everything else.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Kinda funny that Dfan118's post about bleacher report ended up being a double post since that site is basically a gigantic double post

:lol: Yeah, bleacher report is usually crap, but I don't use twitter at all, and it usually just forwards relevant tweets to my phone.

Of course I could just avoid BR completely by downloading the twitter app but..I mean, where's the fun in that?

i buy in to the owners sticking to their guns until the last possible day before the cancellation, less games for more revenue makes sense at this point. i think there is a season though.

Bottom line is whatever the outcome, the owners are getting a better deal than the last CBA. This isn't 2005 where the league was circling the drain. Not worth losing a season over what is really chimp change at this point.

I am just hoping that everyone keeps their heads cool and would rather make money this year than piss away another season and probably end up back at the same point in August. Ulitmately none of this is easy and you hope that both sides can respect where they are coming from and realize its just business and get back to the business of playing hockey for fans to watch.

Is it me or do the Russian players seem to make out best durign these things. I see Kovy tearin it up in the KHL and Ovechkin went off and got engaged to some Hot Russian tenis player (is there a factory somewhere in Moscow producing them that we haven't been told about).

(Corrected because I was too lazy to check google for a Russian city)

Edited by newarkdev01

i buy in to the owners sticking to their guns until the last possible day before the cancellation, less games for more revenue makes sense at this point. i think there is a season though.

Remember that there is no such thing as 'free' revenue - a cut of that 'more revenue' goes back to the players.

I think the drop dead date is fake anyway, so I could see them taking it past the brink.

Is it me or do the Russian players seem to make out best durign these things. I see Kovy tearin it up in the KHL and Ovechkin went off and got engaged to some Hot Russian tenis player (is there a factory somewhere in Kiev producing them that we haven't been told about).

FYI, Kiev is not a Russian city

I knew I shouldn't have jumped the gun and threw up the first Russian sounding city that came to mind...Still I just got back from visiting Eastern Europe (Poland) and well I'm certainly a fan of the women =-)

I think they sell them on amazon for good prices, though shipping, as you can imagine, will do some damage.

Well they're back together.. Is it too much to hope for a resolution tonight?

I think it's possible but not likely. Depends on whether or not the threat of disclaimer of interest is enough for NHL to move off some of their positions - if it is, we could see a deal, though I doubt it would be for several hours.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.