2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Interesting piece here, again, from Copper And Blue:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/24/4458984/chl-forwards-and-relative-plus-minus

To talk micro from that macro, is that list that helpful on individual player comparison? For example, apparently Monahan's team is garbage so he should have an easier time generating a positive relative +/- than a guy who plays on a team with a good 2nd line.

Basically, since the list is so team dependent, is he justified in bumping up or dropping down players due to that lost. Based on that article, I would say no.

What I originally read was round #1 on Saturday starting at 8pm and Sunday at 3pm.

It all got condensed, you've got tickets to the whole draft.

What's also fun, free agency "talking" starts the next day so the twitter rumor mill should be cranking double hard.

To talk micro from that macro, is that list that helpful on individual player comparison? For example, apparently Monahan's team is garbage so he should have an easier time generating a positive relative +/- than a guy who plays on a team with a good 2nd line.

Basically, since the list is so team dependent, is he justified in bumping up or dropping down players due to that lost. Based on that article, I would say no.

A comparable situation would be Couturier. He was on a pretty eh team, still went fairly high, but at one point was the #1 rated guy. I think it could go either way with Monahan. He could fall a few spots, but I would base that more on teams rating other players higher or drafting for a specific need not because he played for a weaker team.

I thought it would be fun to look over the Devils drafts since the 04-05 lockout to see if there were any trends. Here are where their picks came from each year:

7 players - 1 USNTDP, 2 WHL, 3 OHL, 1 BCHL
Played in NHL: Matteau

6 players - 1 Sweden, 1 USHL, 2 USNTDP, 1 WHL, 1 USHS
Played in NHL: Larsson

5 players - 1 USNTDP, 1 OHL, 1 USHS, 1 QMJHL, 1 Switzerland
Played in NHL: N/A

7 players - 2 Sweden, 2 QMJHL, 1 USHL, 1 AJHL, 1 BCHL
Played in NHL: Josefson, Gelinas, Urbom,

9 players - 1 Sweden, 1 OPJHL, 2 QMJHL, 3 OHL, 1 WHL, 1 USNTDP
Played in NHL: Tedenby, Cormier, Henrique

6 players - 1 USNTDP, 2 OHL, 1 BCHL, 1 Finland, 1 WHL
Played in NHL: Palmieri, Halischuk

8 players - 1 OHL, 3 Russia, 1 BCHL, 2 QMJHL, 1 AtJHL
Played in NHL: Corrente, Vasyunov, Zharkov, Magnan

7 players - 2 Sweden, 1 USNTDP, 2 OHL, 1 USHS, 1 WHL
Played in NHL: Bergfors, Frazee, Fraser, Davis, Fayne

Note: Obviously recent draft classes won't have as many players who've tasted the NHL. Even a draft as far back as 2007 could yield another player if McPherson makes it in a year or so. I really just added this part in for fun.

- Devils have drafted 25 players from the major junior. Breaking down to 6 WHL, 12 OHL, and 7 QMJHL players. They've only gone to the QMJHL once in the past 3 years as opposed to the WHL 3 times and OHL 4 times.

- Devils have drafted 7 players out of the USNTDP in 6 out of these 8 drafts, including 4 players in the past 3 drafts.

- Devils have drafted 9 players from non-major junior leagues in 6 of the past 8 drafts.

- Devils have drafted 11 players out of Europe with 2012 the only time they didn't select one. Breaks down to 6 Swedes, 1 Swiss, 1 Finn, and 3 Russians (all same draft - 06).

- Devils have drafted 3 players from US High Schools with polar opposite results, Fayne vs. Faust + Daly.

Note: Only having 4 picks will be the Devils least amount ever in their draft history, unless they add more.

Lesson learned from the Goats post:  Avoid #1 picks from Sweden.

I don't think this is entirely fair. I would not be angry if we took Elias Lindholm, but I also would like to avoid a Swede for two reasons. One is that we have not had a whole lot of luck with them. I don't think anyone is ready to sour on Larsson and anyone that is, is rather foolish. Second is that if you look at the last few drafts top 15's quite a few Swedes have been taken, but none of them have really had an impact yet aside from possibly Zibanejad w/ 2009 providing possibly the best crop of Swedes taken in the top 15 picks thus far (Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, and Paajarvi to a lesser extent). Most of the rest have just not made the transition yet.

I'd rather take a guy that is going to adjust to the game quicker because we're gonna need whomever we draft to have an impact sooner rather than later. I dont think anyone is prepared to have to wait 4 years for a guy to get here and be meaningful. I'd like to see whomever we take ready immediately or next year, but if it takes a little longer and the guy is worth the wait, so be it.

Edited by ghdi

Whoever the Devils pick, they shouldn't be in the NHL until 2015-16.  Tired of burning ELCs and free agent years if you don't have to.

Ekman-Larsson should've won the Norris Trophy this year - he's a dominant defenseman.  Jonas Brodin should have won the Calder Trophy - he picked up Ryan Suter, not the other way around.

Whoever the Devils pick, they shouldn't be in the NHL until 2015-16.  Tired of burning ELCs and free agent years if you don't have to.

Ekman-Larsson should've won the Norris Trophy this year - he's a dominant defenseman.  Jonas Brodin should have won the Calder Trophy - he picked up Ryan Suter, not the other way around.

If you could somehow trade up for to Carolina's spot and land one of Barkov or Nischuskin they should make the team if they're good enough.  The idea of burning through ELC's shouldn't inform the decision, so far as I'm concerned.  That's a contingency you're planning for that won't arise for several years.   

If you could somehow trade up for to Carolina's spot and land one of Barkov or Nischuskin they should make the team if they're good enough.  The idea of burning through ELC's shouldn't inform the decision, so far as I'm concerned.  That's a contingency you're planning for that won't arise for several years.   

I would think he was referring to a Stefan Matteau like burn...   if you have a player playing 82 games his first year; it's not 'burning' a year in my mind.  

I would think he was referring to a Stefan Matteau like burn...   if you have a player playing 82 games his first year; it's not 'burning' a year in my mind.  

It all depends on who we draft. If we draft a guy who is ready now and can contribute now, then he should play now is how I feel. If he's a better player than some schmo we already have or is a better replacement than get him in there. I just wouldnt bet on it or expect it. 

No, I'm not.  I'm referring to playing any more than 9 games.  

The Devils aren't going to be in a great situation contract-wise with Larsson.  I'd like for them to give him one of these Roman Josi contracts, except that given his performance this year, there's no way that would be justified or smart.

Also everyone sleeping on Josefson - not going to be a top 6 forward but he should be a solid Devil for a while.

no one mentionned Landeskog yet so... i am. I would have being fine picking him instead of Larsson, if Adam would have been picked earlier.

I don't think its really fair to mention Landeskog here. He's kind of an aberration in comparing most Swedish picks. He played in North America before being drafted into the NHL. He played 2 years in Kitchener, which seasoned his game a bit. IE Ekman-Larsson and Hedman came to the NHL directly from Sweden. The only Swede that is potentially available this year at #9 that is a realistic draft shot is Lindholm, and he'd be coming directly from Sweden.

I also agree that had we taken Landeskog, it'd have been a great pick, but at the same time he wasnt even on the board anymore. Lindholm is more like Josefson in terms of where he's coming from, but its clear that Lindholm is likely a better player than Jacob.

no one mentionned Landeskog yet so... i am. I would have being fine picking him instead of Larsson, if Adam would have been picked earlier.

Any of the top 4 that year were a good bet.  We got what we needed at the time with Larsson falling to us, but all 4 seem like they will be good NHL players (assuming the Nuge can stay healthy).

Any of the top 4 that year were a good bet.  We got what we needed at the time with Larsson falling to us, but all 4 seem like they will be good NHL players (assuming the Nuge can stay healthy).

I don't think its really fair to mention Landeskog here. He's kind of an aberration in comparing most Swedish picks. He played in North America before being drafted into the NHL. He played 2 years in Kitchener, which seasoned his game a bit. IE Ekman-Larsson and Hedman came to the NHL directly from Sweden. The only Swede that is potentially available this year at #9 that is a realistic draft shot is Lindholm, and he'd be coming directly from Sweden.

I also agree that had we taken Landeskog, it'd have been a great pick, but at the same time he wasnt even on the board anymore. Lindholm is more like Josefson in terms of where he's coming from, but its clear that Lindholm is likely a better player than Jacob.

oh well i just just responding to the first post on the top of this page saying not to pick a sweden with a #1 pick. 

oh well i just just responding to the first post on the top of this page saying not to pick a sweden with a #1 pick. 

Sure I get that, I can see the reasoning behind it though. The majority of Swedes are taking longer to develop than some of the NA guys, and Landeskog technically was a NA guy at the time since he played so well for Kitchener for 2 seasons. He had already adjusted to the NA game. Its not fair to blanket judge them either, so it really just depends on what our scouts think. If we took Lindholm, I would not be disappointed. If we were able to get Monahan or a longshot (in terms of draft position) such as Nichushkin instead, I'd be even more excited, and who knows how they will adjust. 

Dreger is picking up the rumor about Carolina looking to trade it's pick, and mentions them wanting a top 4 defenseman in return. I would trade Fayne and 9 for the pick. I would also think about the 9 and Greene for 5 and Carolina's second. I don't think they woud have much use for Tallinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dreger is picking up the rumor about Carolina looking to trade it's pick, and mentions them wanting a top 4 defenseman in return. I would trade Fayne and 9 for the pick. I would also think about the 9 and Greene for 5 and Carolina's second. I don't think they woud have much use for Tallinder. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if we could get that 5th pick for Fayne and the 9th I would absolutely do it. i don't care for fayne and I truly feel like there is all star talent in the top 5 this year

I would never touch Greene, he is our best Dman, but I would do Fayne for that #5 pick in a heartbeat.

I mention Greene because that's who Carolina would likely want assuming they know Larsson is a nonstarter.

It would be a tough call. Maybe it could be a deal involving Greene where we still keep the number 9.

I think we're actually in a better position than a lot of teams if Dreger's report of the asking price is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD