2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

That is casting a wide net, but it eats up plenty of 1st rounders as well.  Like I said, I don't like the certainty, because one junior season has plenty of variance in it, and a player can have a rough season by the percentages.  But it's something that I always say - while offense may not make it to the next level, it is always a good sign.  If you're not putting up points in junior, you probably don't have much skill with the puck, and it's hard to develop that outside of junior.  Indeed, there are guys like Chara who developed it later on, but they are the exception.  I think with a lot of these big players, the idea is that he has to grow into his body or something like that, but it's just not often that it happens.

watched a video yesterday with the Coyotes head scout talking about that actually yesterday it was pretty interesting

http://video.coyotes.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-6&id=260812&cmpid=embed-share-video

Some cool stuff out today on preparation for the draft and its impact on Newark/NJ:

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/06/prudential_center_gets_ready_for_nhl_draft.html#incart_river

Stronger Than The Storm, the federally funded $25 million marketing campaign to promote the Jersey shore’s post-Sandy recovery, is sponsoring the draft and starting Friday will be holding beach-themed events throughout the weekend.

Yesterday, workers built a makeshift boardwalk stretching across Championship Plaza on Mulberry Street. Roughly 34 tons of sand were brought in to build a beach outside the arena. More than 30 cherry trees were planted by the arena’s southern entrance. Team offcials point out that the trees colors, red and green, are the old colors of the New Jersey Devils.

A ferris wheel will be set up, and games and events are planned throughout the weekend.

Devils officials said that 12 NHL teams will be staying in New Jersey for the draft, equaling 2,500 hotel nights booked. Of those, 1,000 are in Newark.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Vanderbeek will hold a news conference on Saturday at noon.

13009266-mmmain.jpg

This is going to sound..whatever, but man do I hope they have lots and lots of redundant security booked.  

God forbid the sh!theads of Newark decide to come out to try and make a headline.

Yeah, that did sound whatever.  I'm sure that petty criminals are hoping to see their names in the paper.

This is going to sound..whatever, but man do I hope they have lots and lots of redundant security booked.  

God forbid the sh!theads of Newark decide to come out to try and make a headline.

They had the finals last year with no issues.  I doubt anything bad happens at the draft.

Yeah, that did sound whatever.  I'm sure that petty criminals are hoping to see their names in the paper.

Settle down smart ass, you know what I meant.

Large-scale events in bad areas tend to attract the bottom feeders.

They had the finals last year with no issues.  I doubt anything bad happens at the draft.

This is true

If you think downtown Newark is a bad area, you really need to get out more.

I used to work there. Believe me, it's a spooky place when there's not an event at the Rock. Especially Penn Station anytime after 9.

All the redevelopment projects will really make the place nothing more than a Potemkin village.

If you think downtown Newark is a bad area, you really need to get out more.

So you're saying downtown Newark is somewhere you'd just take a stroll alone at night for the hell of it?

I haven't been to the many slums of the world, but I feel like its safe to say downtown Newark is not a place I'd feel comfortable walking through with my family at night (game nights with the huge crowd being an exception of course).

Shinkaruk says he plays similar to Parise. I would have said a hybrid of Skinner and Kessel

i dont think he has Kessel's shot though, Kessel has a Sakic'ish way of shooting while still skating (not gliding and shooting). Not a lot of players does it

So you're saying downtown Newark is somewhere you'd just take a stroll alone at night for the hell of it?

I haven't been to the many slums of the world, but I feel like its safe to say downtown Newark is not a place I'd feel comfortable walking through with my family at night (game nights with the huge crowd being an exception of course).

Yes, I've been in downtown Newark past, oooohh so scurry, midnight. I once had a homeless guy ask for a cigarette then grab a few and ran, but I'm not scared of downtown Newark at night. And on event nights, it's not like there's gonna be anyone asking if you need the diesel while they got that crow's nest up on Market and Broad.

i dont think he has Kessel's shot though, Kessel has a Sakic'ish way of shooting while still skating (not gliding and shooting). Not a lot of players does it

Yeah his shot isn't quite as good as Phil's but he does like to unload it on the rush in a similar manner.

One knock against Shinkaruk was that he'd have to refine his skating style since it was awkward. In one of the guides I have, it says it shouldn't be a problem because its similar to Crosby's (I'm at work right now so I don't have the exact quote in front of me of me). Anyway, his defense leaves a bit to be desired but he has undeniable offensive skill, heart and leadership qualities. Rather have him than Domi, who played soft minutes. Though, I'm not sure the QOC Shinkaruk faced

Edited by SMantzas

Yeah his shot isn't quite as good as Phil's but he does like to unload it on the rush in a similar manner.

One knock against Shinkaruk was that he'd have to refine his skating style since it was awkward. In one of the guides I have, it says it shouldn't be a problem because its similar to Crosby's (I'm at work right now so I don't have the exact quote in front of me of me). Anyway, his defense leaves a bit to be desired but he has undeniable offensive skill, heart and leadership qualities. Rather have him than Domi, who played soft minutes. Though, I'm not sure the QOC Shinkaruk faced

yeah i guess is heart and determination is similar to Domi but i'd give the offensive edge to Shinkaruk and the defensive play and toughness to Domi

Forgot the guide was sent as a PDF too:

STRENGTHS: Shinkaruk is a plucky scoring winger with good skating technique and high energy levels. He really uses the inside and outside of his edges, almost like a figure skater. If you watch guys like Jeff Skinner, Sidney Crosby or Henrik Zetterberg skate into the offensive zone, they do a similar motion, turning their lower body to gain body position on the defender.

Edit- Apparently Nurse is a Devils fan. Said Stevens was his favorite player growing up

Edited by SMantzas

Although Devils' preference for No. 9 pick is still a skill forward, Lou Lamoriello admitted some of the big D available are "tempting."

brrrr i know im gonna like any guy that we pick but i gotta admit that if we pick a dman im gonna be a liiiittle disappointed

interesting note by McKenzie:

Best pure goal-scorer: Anthony Mantha with the win over Drouin, MacKinnon, Shinkaruk. Mantha scored 50 this season.

Toughest prospect: Sam Morin with slight lead over J-I Diaby and Ryan Hartman.

Best agitator: Plymouth's Ryan Hartman with clear win but guy he fought in Prospects Game Kerby Rychel got a couple of votes.

Biggest/hardest hitter: London Knight defenceman Nikita Zadorov.

Jonathan Drouin was runaway leader in 3 categories: best puckhandler, best playmaker, best hockey sense. And it wasn't close in any of them.

Fastest skater: Nathan MacKinnon.

Prospect with the best shot: Brandon dman Ryan Pulock. Seth Jones got a couple of votes too.

Prospect most ready to step into NHL and play now: Nathan MacKinnon tops, Seth Jones runner up.

i can agree with what he's saying about Mackinnon and Drouin... god are they ever crazy. Mackinnon'speed and execution at top speed is unreal

Edited by SterioDesign

Aaron Vickers (Future Considerations) Mock Draft

9th: New Jersey Devils – Elias Lindholm – The all-round player can play both ends of the ice but is particularly controlling in the offensive zone. - See more at: http://futureconsiderations.ca/mock-draft-mania-aaron-vickers-managing-editor/#sthash.x8K2hCb5.dpuf

Corey Pronman (Hockey Prospectus) Mock Draft

9. New Jersey Devils, C Max Domi, London Knights (OHL)

It is very uncommon for a team to notably incorporate organizational need at this high point in the draft. That being said, the Devils have high-end quality in their prospect pool at defense to couple with former lottery pick Adam Larsson, while they are starving for some skill in their pipeline. The top forwards here are also arguably the best players available. The pick could be Shinkaruk, Max Domi, or Swedish forward Alex Wennberg. I have also heard there is an outside shot of Curtis Lazar going at this selection.

I'd prefer Shinkaruk or even Horvat to Domi if the top forward prospects are off the board.

Guys act like Newark is Camden sheshh

I know, people afraid of downtown at night. I mean, I wouldn't go wandering up Clinton Ave, but I feel pretty damn safe downtown, even late at night.

Rule of thumb about bad areas. If the homies ain't yelling "eyyyy yoooerp" or yelling about how they "got dat diesel" while trying to flag you down, you're fine. If they are, would you like some drugs then? lol.