Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mackchi

It's Official....asked for refund

55 posts in this topic

But the players didn't strike -- not this time, not last time, and not the time before that.

Three lockout in a row and many fans are still laying this largely on the players. I don't get it.

I think it's pretty split...there are just as many people who hate Bettman and think he's the root of evil because of being a three-lockout commisioner than there are people jealous of the players for not having enough despite an average salary of $2+ million and hating their childish actions and tweets throughout.

But owners are never going to give the PA a chance to strike again, not after the NFL, MLB and NHL all staged extortionist walkouts during the late '80's and early '90's. And quite honestly, it's better to not have a season at all then go through what baseball did in '94 and have the finish taken away after you've invested so much time in it.

I think you're missing the point - the PA not only would have played without a CBA (i.e. under the old rules), they would have signed up for this CBA again, were it put to them. But of course not - need more cost certainty. Can't have the Leafs and Rangers making only a guaranteed $20 million every year.

One does not simply read the last half of the last paragraph without picturing CR as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

Oh man, thanks for a good laugh DP26. I think I'm more defeated in my disbelief at this point. I'm too numb to be angry.

But the players didn't strike -- not this time, not last time, and not the time before that.

Three lockout in a row and many fans are still laying this largely on the players. I don't get it.

My take is that both sides wanna be paid like they're NFL owners/players. Neither has accepted the fact that hockey is a niche sport. Until that happens, we're doomed to lockout limbo every 5-10 years.

I almost pity some owners because you see more of them declaring bankruptcy than players. Yes, they do it to themselves, but they also need to fork over that money to top end players if they want any shot at winning/making money.

The NHL needs to get over the fantasy that it can financially compete on the same level as the other major three sports. I say major three, not major four, because hockey isn't a major sport in the U.S. It never was and never will be. This league needs some ...

tumblr_lsx2ffHnpT1qj44ruo1_400.jpg

My take is that both sides wanna be paid like they're NFL owners/players. Neither has accepted the fact that hockey is a niche sport. Until that happens, we're doomed to lockout limbo every 5-10 years.

I almost pity some owners because you see more of them declaring bankruptcy than players. Yes, they do it to themselves, but they also need to fork over that money to top end players if they want any shot at winning/making money.

The NHL needs to get over the fantasy that it can financially compete on the same level as the other major three sports. I say major three, not major four, because hockey isn't a major sport in the U.S. It never was and never will be. This league needs some ...

tumblr_lsx2ffHnpT1qj44ruo1_400.jpg

NHL players make more than NFL players on average. Even at the top end, NFL players don't make all that much more than top NHL players (like NHL players, one issue is that even the best players can only play for half the game). And the issue is partly that half of the NHL players and a huge portion of the NHL's revenue comes disproportionately from 7 teams, in a place where the NHL is almost as big as the NFL is in this country.

NHL revenues come from the gate and not from television and that's where the problem is - they don't share enough money, so the only way to come to any sort of agreement amongst themselves is to force player salaries down to a level where they're acceptable for all teams, and even then it's not going to work.