hoekster316

Start the Gomez-to-NJ rumors

150 posts in this topic

As many others have said, there is really no risk to signing him to a cheap 1 year deal. Given the forward situation, I'd be completely down with a reunion.

if no good forwards are available via trade, and we don't even bother with Sykora, offer the absolute minimum and have zero expectations for Gomez. Make him prove himself and earn playing time. I would make him the absolute last, worst case option.

Gomez was never offered a contract because the Devils knew he wasn't worth that absurd amount. He knew he was going to get a ridiculous contract and it was his dream since he was kid to be a Ranger and play in that building. It didn't work out the way he dreamed but he didn't do anything to the Devils. anybody who hates this guy for signing for what he got from the Rangers is delusional.

Edited by capo

If Gomer can help, fine...

League minimum and he better kiss the ass of the fans and organization at a press conference

If Gomer can help, fine...

League minimum and he better kiss the ass of the fans and organization at a press conference

No way Lou would ever give him a press conference.

No way Lou would ever give him a press conference.

I am not saying a formal press conference, I guess I meant in his first interview with whoever...

Whether it is Matt or Dano etc...

I think people here are mistakenly assuming that the Devils would be the only team interested in Gomez.

I don't think league minimum will get him. I think there's some stupid GM out there who will offer 1/2m or 2/4m.

And I'd be unwilling to go any higher than 1m per

I think people here are mistakenly assuming that the Devils would be the only team interested in Gomez.

I don't think league minimum will get him. I think there's some stupid GM out there who will offer 1/2m or 2/4m.

And I'd be unwilling to go any higher than 1m per

I think a lot of people are under the assumption that this is where he wants to be.

Not sure if this was posted (and forgive me if it was)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scott-gomez-expecting-canadiens-buyout-return-devils-160146611.html

This is old but it states:

"According to Brisebois, Gomez also said that he would like to go back to New Jersey, where everything started for him and where he won a Stanley Cup in 2003. Gomez played the best hockey of his career as a New Jersey Devils. In 2005-05, he scored 33 goals and got 84 points. In 38 games this season with the Montreal Canadiens, he only scored two goals."

Reno lavoie just said on rds that Nj was reviewing the possibility to sign gomez... He's always spot on usually

If Gomez can still carry the puck into the zone like he used to then I'm all in for a second go round.

If Gomez can still carry the puck into the zone like he used to then I'm all in for a second go round.

If he can bring anything remotely like this, even a few steps slower, he will be worth a small contract. It's worth the risk, especially in a shortened season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DM6D4AwZU

Reno lavoie just said on rds that Nj was reviewing the possibility to sign gomez... He's always spot on usually

Good. IF we sign him Darche and with a healthy Henrique we dont look too shabby.

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Butler Elias Zubrus

Darche Gomez/Josefson Clarkson

CBGB

Good. IF we sign him Darche and with a healthy Henrique we dont look too shabby.

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Butler Elias Zubrus

Darche Gomez/Josefson Clarkson

CBGB

Yup that would be my limeup too. Geez were so similar... Wanna go for a beer !?!!?!

Screw Gomez...why did we let Poni walk? He was cheap and effective

What did the Devils have to stop him? He was unrestricted. He went wherever he wanted.

And he wanted to play somewhere else.

Yeah I agree! Damn it all to hell! We lost Poni! No more trades or signings at all! Just lament!

He's 35! He's definitely not a scorer, and he's being bought out by his current team. I don't agree with getting Gomez back on the Devils. I'm surprised people have overlooked these obvious (to me) red flags.

He's 35! He's definitely not a scorer, and he's being bought out by his current team. I don't agree with getting Gomez back on the Devils. I'm surprised people have overlooked these obvious (to me) red flags.

He just turned 33 and nobody expects him to score lots of goals.

What people hope is a Gomez who wants to turn his career around can be a depth forward in the bottom 6 who adds some creativity to a team that lacks creativity.

Is he 35? I thought he was a bit younger. I'm not thrilled at the possibility of him coming back but I remember the way he could skate the puck into offensive zone was something we missed until we got kovy. I also think he is a player that needs a lot of structure so I think we could succeed in the right role. If he signs a minimum contract why not? Sure beats watching Tedenby get knocked all over the ice.

Gomez has a great playing history with Elias and he controls the puck really well.

The beauty of a Gomez as a third-line/depth forward is that if you have a game (or playoff series) where one of your top two lines is not clicking, it's not completely scary to move Gomez up for a game or two.