Roster Problems for NJ

Triumph

I see now that TG is tweeting about it, but the Devils have to get down to 23 by tomorrow.

Here's our definites at forward (not counting the injured Henrique):

Kovalchuk

Zajac

Elias

Zubrus

Clarkson

Josefson

Butler

Here's two goons like we had on the roster last year, in 2010, and in many other years:

Barch

Janssen

And here's the rest of the players:

S. Gionta

Carter

Bernier

Right now that's 12, which is fine. The Devils also have Mathieu Darche on tryout and Stefan Matteau as a possible player, and TG is suggesting the Devils will keep one of them either way. There's your 13 forwards.

Now there's the 8 D: Salvador, Zidlicky, Larsson, Greene, Fayne, Harrold, Volchenkov.

The problem is, when Henrique returns, someone above will have to get the boot if everyone stays healthy. Ditto if the Devils somehow added Scott Gomez. So will the Devils continue to carry 8 D AND 2 goons, against all sense and reason? They can't waive Harrold, someone will pick him up. They could waive Volchenkov, I suppose, but that's dangerous and sort of vindictive. They could send Larsson back to the minors, which would be an incalculable stupidity. So it's up to waiving forwards - I guess the playoff 4th line is somewhat safe from being claimed on waivers, seeing as how they're all on 2 year contracts, plus S. Gionta has been through waivers 4 or 5 times without being claimed. Still, I really just cannot imagine that Lou will bungle the back end of this roster as badly as it appears he's about to.

I see now that TG is tweeting about it, but the Devils have to get down to 23 by tomorrow.

Here's our definites at forward (not counting the injured Henrique):

Kovalchuk

Zajac

Elias

Zubrus

Clarkson

Josefson

Butler

Here's two goons like we had on the roster last year, in 2010, and in many other years:

Barch

Janssen

And here's the rest of the players:

S. Gionta

Carter

Bernier

Right now that's 12, which is fine. The Devils also have Mathieu Darche on tryout and Stefan Matteau as a possible player, and TG is suggesting the Devils will keep one of them either way. There's your 13 forwards.

Now there's the 8 D: Salvador, Zidlicky, Larsson, Greene, Fayne, Harrold, Volchenkov.

The problem is, when Henrique returns, someone above will have to get the boot if everyone stays healthy. Ditto if the Devils somehow added Scott Gomez. So will the Devils continue to carry 8 D AND 2 goons, against all sense and reason? They can't waive Harrold, someone will pick him up. They could waive Volchenkov, I suppose, but that's dangerous and sort of vindictive. They could send Larsson back to the minors, which would be an incalculable stupidity. So it's up to waiving forwards - I guess the playoff 4th line is somewhat safe from being claimed on waivers, seeing as how they're all on 2 year contracts, plus S. Gionta has been through waivers 4 or 5 times without being claimed. Still, I really just cannot imagine that Lou will bungle the back end of this roster as badly as it appears he's about to.

If the roster tightened up, when Henrique gets back, etc., and assuming there aren't any other injuries (always possible), Jannsen is the one that gets sent down. I believe he's on a two-way deal, and we've got another goon. I know Lou has the philosophy that you need two goons on the roster, especially if the alternatives are playing well enough.

Sounds to me like Lou needs to choose between Matteau and Darche and get rid of one of the goons. Even if we accept the argument that enforcers/goons are necessary in a tough division, I don't see the need for two of them. I think he has to choose between being loyal to Cam or picking the goon that put up 5 points to Cam's 1 last year.

Edited by NLinfante

Sounds to me like Lou needs to choose between Matteau and Darche and get rid of one of the goons. Even if we accept the argument that enforcers/goons are necessary in a tough division, I don't see the need for two of them. I think he has to choose between being loyal to Cam or picking the goon that put up 5 points to Cam's 1 last year.

The more I think about it as well, this is the exact reason Jannsen only got a two way deal (confirmed that's his contract). Jannsen is the first on the chopping block when it becomes necessary.

Also the possibility that one of the defenseman gets traded before roster size becomes an issue.

Edited by Daniel

Janssen had a two way contract last year and the 4th line had to be one of the worst in NHL history and yet he was never exposed to waivers or sent down.

Yes, but there wasn't a roster squeeze last year. It wasn't like they were itching to get Gionta into the lineup. Also, wasn't Boulton hurt for a stretch last year?

Your also forgetting about little Mattias Tedenby. He seems to be getting a shot of making this team. He has been playing with guys like Elias and Clarkson in training camp so I would think he would be on the roster in place of henrique. I think the real choice is between Mattaeu and Tedenby. Thats where the decision comes down to. Yes, Tedenby can simply be sent down, but I dont think it's that simple. If Matteau stays, I think we'll see Teddy in the AHL for the start of the season, but he'll be the first to get a good look.

Edited by RizzMB30

Your also forgetting about little Mattias Tedenby. He seems to be getting a shot of making this team. He has been playing with guys like Elias and Clarkson in training camp so I would think he would be on the roster in place of henrique. I think the real choice is between Mattaeu and Tedenby. Thats where the decision comes down to. Yes, Tedenby can simply be sent down, but I dont think it's that simple. If Matteau stays, I think we'll see Teddy in the AHL for the start of the season, but he'll be the first to get a good look.

No hurt in giving him the few games before he has to get sent down to save the year on the ELC. Might as well see how he holds up. Tedenby's not going anywhere

Someone will get injured. Maybe conveniently as they always do in Lou-Land. With shortened training camp and many players out of shape, it is bound to happen.

What is the over/under on the number of games before one or more of Volchenkov, Salvador, Tallinder, or Josefson gets injured?

Someone will get injured. Maybe conveniently as they always do in Lou-Land. With shortened training camp and many players out of shape, it is bound to happen.

What is the over/under on the number of games before one or more of Volchenkov, Salvador, Tallinder, or Josefson gets injured?

I give JJ 2 shifts before breaking something...

And that's the PROBLEM. If you have 2 goons and 8 D and you have an injury, you have to call someone up or play two goons (or play Harrold at wing, I *guess*). With all the back to backs and so forth, this sort of scenario is inevitable.

Just watched the entire scrimmage. (It's posted on the team website)

Tedenby played with Elias and Clarkson. He looked pretty good and set up Clarkson for a nice goal.

Matteau really stood out to me. He beat Brodeur with a strong wristshot and was buzzing around the whole game. His hands were much better than I expected. There was one play where he was in a corner and stick handled around Fayne and Zubrus. Keep in mind it was a scrimmage, so his true skill (physicality) didn't show. I wouldn't mind if he got the 5 game "tryout". Of course it was a scrimmage, so most guys were probably going half-speed.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler

Tedenby-Elias-Zubrus

Matteau-Josefson-Clarkson

4th line

Send Cam to Albany and keep Barch as the extra

By the time Matteau's 5 games are up, Henrique will likely be back. Not totally comfortable with the forwards.

Edit- I forgot to mention a play where Zajac totally pyloned McPhereson and scored. Skip to around 55 mins for that play.

Edited by SMantzas

The trick I forgot about which Lou might end up using here to get Tedenby on the roster, if he doesn't want to send Larsson down, is the old 'IR the sh!tbag goon' play - Barch is already out of today's practice.

Evidently Barch has a groin issue.

Again, unless I'm missing something, there's a mountain of a molehill here. If there's a roster squeeze, and there's one of the borderline guys (Matteau, etc.) who turns out to play well, Janssen is the one heading down to Albany.

The trick I forgot about which Lou might end up using here to get Tedenby on the roster, if he doesn't want to send Larsson down, is the old 'IR the sh!tbag goon' play - Barch is already out of today's practice.

bingo.

Evidently Barch has a groin issue.

Again, unless I'm missing something, there's a mountain of a molehill here. If there's a roster squeeze, and there's one of the borderline guys (Matteau, etc.) who turns out to play well, Janssen is the one heading down to Albany.

double bingo.

one of the 8 dmen will be traded unless an injury happens within the first 2 weeks of the season.

janssen is getting sent down.

barch will go on IR.

mattaeu will go back to juniors unless he scores 10 goals in 4 games or injury.

this will work itself out.