Roster Problems for NJ

Triumph

I am beginning to believe that one of the defensemen won't be traded, which is utter insanity. Are the Devils really going to go into the season with lines like this?

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson

Carter-Josefson-Butler

Matteau/Darche-S. Gionta-Bernier/Barch/Janssen?

I don't even think Lou has a plan here. Which defensemen could be dealt? It has to be Greene or Fayne, right? I can't see anyone else being dealt for a number of reasons. And those are two you don't really want to see go.

I just wish Janssen doesn't get into a single game this season and is sent to the minors, but clearly Lou believes in keeping him around and playing in rivalry games. It's quite a mess.

The trick I forgot about which Lou might end up using here to get Tedenby on the roster, if he doesn't want to send Larsson down, is the old 'IR the sh!tbag goon' play - Barch is already out of today's practice.

That's the "convenient" injury I was referring to... that is why in Lou-Land roster size is rarely a problem.

I am beginning to believe that one of the defensemen won't be traded, which is utter insanity. Are the Devils really going to go into the season with lines like this?

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson

Carter-Josefson-Butler

Matteau/Darche-S. Gionta-Bernier/Barch/Janssen?

In a word...yes. However, I think Matteau will be sent back to juniors, Darche will be signed and Barch/CamJan will ride the pine until we play the Rags and/or Flyers.

That's the "convenient" injury I was referring to... that is why in Lou-Land roster size is rarely a problem.

No, but let's be honest - you can't have five defensemen making $3 million plus Harrold (locked into the #7/8 role) AND Larsson/Fayne. They do have to do something to alleviate that soon, and I don't mean a phantom injury or sending Larsson to the minors when Lou himself said he was going to play in the NHL this year. No phantom injury (or real one) is going to give us assets to improve our forward core.

I can see them starting the season with eight and showcasing guys until Henrique comes back, but one way or another this problem needs to be solved and can't be allowed to fester. Lou doing nothing about the Kovycap issues two years ago was at least part of the reason the team was so dreadful early (I know most of it was on the worst coach in history, but having that as a constant cloud didn't help).

Edited by NJDevs4978

No, but let's be honest - you can't have five defensemen making $3 million plus Harrold (locked into the #7/8 role) AND Larsson/Fayne. They do have to do something to alleviate that soon, and I don't mean a phantom injury or sending Larsson to the minors when Lou himself said he was going to play in the NHL this year. No phantom injury is going to give us assets to improve our forward core.

I can see them starting the season with eight and showcasing guys until Henrique comes back, but one way or another this problem needs to be solved and can't be allowed to fester. Lou doing nothing about the Kovycap issues two years ago was at least part of the reason the team was so dreadful early (I know most of it was on the worst coach in history, but having that as a constant cloud didn't help).

I mean, Rolston got hurt in Game #3 and that ended those questions for at least a month, so I've always been a little skeptical on that front. There's really no reason to showcase anyone except perhaps the proof that either the defenseman in question or whoever Lou wants to deal for is in regular shape.

Edited by Triumph