2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Huge opportunity for the Jets now..

What more could you have asked for from a Bye Week? Oakland, Buffalo, Miami, Tennessee, San Diego and Houston all lost. The Ravens won, granted.. but I can't see losing only 2 more times to close the year.

To me this is all about 9 wins.. the "Race to 9" if you will. 9-7 will be the record that gets the last playoff spot this season. Having said that, the Jets are obviously closer to 9 wins than both Baltimore or Cleveland.. and they have a doable schedule to go along. Baltimore still has to go through the Jets, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, --in Cincinnati-- Detroit, --in Detroit--Chicago, --in Chicago-- and New England & Minnesota. Likewise, the Browns have an equally solid schedule ahead of them in: Cincinnati, New England, Jets, Pittsburgh x2, Chicago & Jacksonville. Don't get me wrong.. it is totally possible for either Baltimore or Cleveland to win 5 of their last 7 games. I just don't see it happening.

The easy solution to all of this for the Jets is simple; Keep Winning! You wouldn't have believed it during the offseason, but the reality is: heading into Week 11, the New York Jets are in control of their own destiny. Even if you want to say that games like Baltimore & Carolina are going to be difficult, they still have winnable games on the table in Oakland, Buffalo, Miami 2x, and Cleveland. Will they win all 5? -I don't know. But they should be able to maintain the momentum from the first half of this season. This is the part of the schedule where you can't let-down. There's no more Matt Ryan to worry about, or Andy Dalton. No more Brady or Brees, or Roethlisberger. Tannehill 2x, Pryor, Weeden, Newton, Flacco, and Manuel possibly playing without Stevie Johnson & Robert Woods. That's what stands in the Jets way. --and after last nights MNF debacle, I really have to amend what I predicted: in saying that the Jets will split with the Dolphins. The Jets NEED to take both of those games.. no other way around it. 2 rushing yards?? Honestly.. 2 fvcking yards?!?! That o-line made Tampa's front 7 look like the Sack Exchange. The Bucs did everything in their power to hand the fish the game, and they still failed to do it. Seeing Pouncey throw punches illustrated what type of fortitude the franchise has.. because they're making Martin look more and more like the asylum escapee, with each passing moment. Miami is an absolute mess right now, and if the Jets defensive line stays healthy in time for both games.. those outcomes should be lopsided as hell! I'm talking 6 sack games type of embarrassment.

Rex is pushing hard for the Jets to sign Ed Reed.

Initially I was worried about him having nothing left but, Rex has seen more film than I, and if he's this fanatical about bringing him in then there must be something left. I hope they get this done (and he doesn't end up in New England)

http://www.procanes.com/files/f1af0fd96d385ede25e7db747fec899f-9144.html

"Rex was like a Dad to me. Like a brother. We wanted Rex as the head coach in Baltimore. We did not want him to leave. It hurt when he left. We knew he was a great coach. There was a reason why that defense was the way it was. I would play anywhere for Rex.. in a dark alley, on the street, in high school football, sandlot. Anywhere! He loves this game, and he makes it fun. He truly loves this game. There’s a reason why those guys in New York back him the way they do." --Ed Reed

..anyone that thinks this would've happened without Ryan is kidding themselves.

Edited by Beezer34

Rex is pushing hard for the Jets to sign Ed Reed.

Initially I was worried about him having nothing left but, Rex has seen more film than I, and if he's this fanatical about bringing him in then there must be something left. I hope they get this done (and he doesn't end up in New England)

Part of the reason he got cut by Houston was because he whined that they were outcoached lol...that isn't going to happen here with his devotion to Rex.

Great signing, especially considering the Pats were after him too and he won't need to learn our system.  Not to mention the Jets actually need another playmaker on defense.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Part of the reason he got cut by Houston was because he whined that they were outcoached lol...that isn't going to happen here with his devotion to Rex.

That seems like the only reason why Houston showed him the door.. because I can't see his skills diminishing as quickly as being voted to the Probowl and winning a Superbowl in less than a year. Let's be real about something; the Texans have the best defense in the NFL. Moreover.. it's specifically their passing defense that's ranked #1 in the league. You're not going to convince me that Ed Reed didn't have a part in that. For all we know, ER may've went to upper-manager and told them this was going to be his last season.. and out of respect, they let him try to catch on with a playoff team.

If anybody can get the most out of Reed, it's RR. If Rex can take a bum like Maybin and get 7 sacks out of him, he'll find a way to utilized Reed. Rex often uses multiple packages with 3 safeties in a 3-3-5 set(s). It is in these formations where ER will be useful: Cromartie, Reed, Landry, Allen, and either Milliner or Wilson. Likewise, on formations where Rex loads up the front 7 with an extra player (Wilk, Snacks, Richardson, QC, Davis, Harris, Pace, and either Douzable or Ellis) you can feel comfortable in Reed being your only safety back there. The move is also genius in having an insurance policy, if nothing else. If tomorrow Allen or Landry goes down with an injury, the Jets are still dangerous.

..anyway you slice it, you gotta love this move!

-------------------------------------------------

EDIT; Fans can say what they want about a possible wedge between Idzik & Ryan. But my God... Kellen Winslow, Dawan Landry, Antwan Barnes, Chris Ivory, David Garrard, Willie Colon, Mike Goodson, Braylon Edwards, Josh Cribbs, Mohamad Massaquoi, Brady Quinn, Greg Salas, David Nelson, Zach Sudfeld, Ed Reed.

Some worked.. some didn't. Regardless, he's feeding Rex an inventory! He's not just saying; “oh.. okay, you lost Jason Taylor, Trevor Pryce, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins, all in one offseason.. but we'll supplement with DeVito, Maybin, Pouha, and 5 JAG's from the 6th round and practice squad. We'll replace Kerry Rhodes & Jim Leonhard with Brodney Pool & Eric Smith” --the way Mike T starved Rex in 2011 & 2012! He's giving him players, and doing his absolute best in keeping a competitive team on the field.

Idzik > Tanny

Edited by Beezer34

Beez, in fairness, the guy was coming off hip surgery and wasn't playing as well as the Texans had hoped.  

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/2073/texans-d-not-much-different-with-or-without-reed

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/solomon/article/Neither-Texans-nor-Reed-got-what-they-expected-4979468.php?t=4a9b184e0af9985617

I don't think there was this sunny "Hey, let's do this former great a big favor and give him a chance to catch on somewhere else" gesture of kindness on the part of the Texans.  I think it's a simple case of a team underperforming badly, and Reed's team simply realizing that the Reed and the Texans just didn't seem to be a good match.   

All this being said, the Jets or the Pats were probably going to be the two best fits for him, if he's got anything left.  It's a good, low-risk move for the Jets, and one that may help.  Rex will know within 3-4 games what Reed has, and if he's shot, what the hell...on paper, there's no arguing this move. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

That seems like the only reason why Houston showed him the door.. because I can't see his skills diminishing as quickly as being voted to the Probowl and winning a Superbowl in less than a year. Let's be real about something; the Texans have the best defense in the NFL. Moreover.. it's specifically their passing defense that's ranked #1 in the league. You're not going to convince me that Ed Reed didn't have a part in that. For all we know, ER may've went to upper-manager and told them this was going to be his last season.. and out of respect, they let him try to catch on with a playoff team.

If anybody can get the most out of Reed, it's RR. If Rex can take a bum like Maybin and get 7 sacks out of him, he'll find a way to utilized Reed. Rex often uses multiple packages with 3 safeties in a 3-3-5 set(s). It is in these formations where ER will be useful: Cromartie, Reed, Landry, Allen, and either Milliner or Wilson. Likewise, on formations where Rex loads up the front 7 with an extra player (Wilk, Snacks, Richardson, QC, Davis, Harris, Pace, and either Douzable or Ellis) you can feel comfortable in Reed being your only safety back there. The move is also genius in having an insurance policy, if nothing else. If tomorrow Allen or Landry goes down with an injury, the Jets are still dangerous.

..anyway you slice it, you gotta love this move!

-------------------------------------------------

EDIT; Fans can say what they want about a possible wedge between Idzik & Ryan. But my God... Kellen Winslow, Dawan Landry, Antwan Barnes, Chris Ivory, David Garrard, Willie Colon, Mike Goodson, Braylon Edwards, Josh Cribbs, Mohamad Massaquoi, Brady Quinn, Greg Salas, David Nelson, Zach Sudfeld, Ed Reed.

Some worked.. some didn't. Regardless, he's feeding Rex an inventory! He's not just saying; “oh.. okay, you lost Jason Taylor, Trevor Pryce, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins, all in one offseason.. but we'll supplement with DeVito, Maybin, Pouha, and 5 JAG's from the 6th round and practice squad. We'll replace Kerry Rhodes & Jim Leonhard with Brodney Pool & Eric Smith” --the way Mike T starved Rex in 2011 & 2012! He's giving him players, and doing his absolute best in keeping a competitive team on the field.

Idzik > Tanny

i will say this, u are right when it comes 2 rexs ability in being able to coach up profile players

Anyone can grab jettisoned players for their roster. Of all the moves you listed most have had no impact. The best moves without question: Colon, Ivory, Reed and MM. The others were low risks that showed why other teams dropped them. But gotta give credit for always looking to improve the team within a limited budget .

Anyone can grab jettisoned players for their roster. Of all the moves you listed most have had no impact. The best moves without question: Colon, Ivory, Reed and MM. The others were low risks that showed why other teams dropped them. But gotta give credit for always looking to improve the team within a limited budget .

I would add Nelson, Winslow, Landry, Sudfeld and Josh Cribbs to that list aswell. --but yeah.. those guys you pointed out are taking the most bows.

i will say this, u are right when it comes 2 rexs ability in being able to coach up profile players

That's when he works best imo.. when he's coaching already established players. Calvin Pace, David Harris, Bart Scott, Antonio Cromartie, Larry Izzo, Ty Law, Lito Sheppard, etc.

The 2011 safeties got destroyed by opposing teams. Yet like magic, that was solved once Pool, Alexander & Smith were replaced with Antonio Allen, Yeremiah Bell & LaRon Landry the following year.

..a carpenter is only as good as his tools.. and in one offseason, credit John Idzik for taking a secondary that lost: LaRon, Revis & Bell.. and supplementing with: Reed, Landry & Milliner.

Scrap heap quality is hardly "all-star" caliber.

not sayin that. beezer is tryin to find connection betweenthe success ryan had with the personel on those teams. hes right. the jets teams were better with guys like jenkins revis taylor fanaca tomlinson and players like that. then they sucked the 2 yrs after that when those players dipped. now ryan seems to be having a better yr conveinlety with players brought in like landy winslow reed ivroy barnes. my point was that a good hc wouldve still found a way to win in 11 and 12.

http://www.procanes.com/files/f1af0fd96d385ede25e7db747fec899f-9144.html

"Rex was like a Dad to me. Like a brother. We wanted Rex as the head coach in Baltimore. We did not want him to leave. It hurt when he left. We knew he was a great coach. There was a reason why that defense was the way it was. I would play anywhere for Rex.. in a dark alley, on the street, in high school football, sandlot. Anywhere! He loves this game, and he makes it fun. He truly loves this game. There’s a reason why those guys in New York back him the way they do." --Ed Reed

..anyone that thinks this would've happened without Ryan is kidding themselves.

The familiarity...Reed mentioned in his interview that not knowing the Patriots system was a factor...and of course the system with Rex and Dennis Thurman helped as well. Interestingly he also mentioned the Jets training facility as being top notch as well and credited Woody Johnson for it.

The familiarity...Reed mentioned in his interview that not knowing the Patriots system was a factor...and of course the system with Rex and Dennis Thurman helped as well. Interestingly he also mentioned the Jets training facility as being top notch as well and credited Woody Johnson for it.

..yeah, interesting stuff.

If you watch the entire interview, there are two moments where he seems to be talking directly to the Texans\Wade Phillips..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Ed_Reed_Im_Glad_to_Be_a_Jet/cb9d315d-80ac-4635-b42d-b81b274be5b4

This season, people have said I've taken a step back. Or how he's slower. Saying how I can't cover a fade route from the middle. But you got to get a hell of a break, as any safety to do that. When you critique me, you have to critique everybody. Not just me. But it seems like Ed Reed is held to a higher standard.” Another reporter later in the interview then told Reed that Rex is now daring teams to throw at Ed Reed's way. Reed responded; “I dare them too! I'm saying the same thing. I've been saying that all year. Throw the deep ball. Throw the ball at me. I've been criticized terribly this season.. but really, I've only had about four or five balls thrown at my direction.” This question is then followed up directly with; Why didn't it work out in Houston? Reed pauses for about 4 seconds, then laughs.. “A lot of reasons. To put it simply.. it just wasn't a good fit.

Obviously he has something to prove.. which is great, because having just won a championship last season, he has additional motivation. But the two things I took from this interview were: Either the hip surgery sucked out everything left in Ed Reed's tank, and he has absolutely nothing left. --thus, why Houston rid themselves of him. Or.. the Texans were using him completely wrong. Maybe, just maybe, Ed Reed is still Ed Reed.. and Wade just wasn't playing to his strengths. Be it schemes, formation(s), playing time, whatever.

Only time will tell whether the Jets got fooled, or if we pulled off a heist. If he plays well, this may be a dress-rehearsal for him to come back for the Jets next season in a limited role. If Charles Woodson's still going @ 37, why not Reed?

..yeah, interesting stuff.

If you watch the entire interview, there are two moments where he seems to be talking directly to the Texans\Wade Phillips..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Ed_Reed_Im_Glad_to_Be_a_Jet/cb9d315d-80ac-4635-b42d-b81b274be5b4

This season, people have said I've taken a step back. Or how he's slower. Saying how I can't cover a fade route from the middle. But you got to get a hell of a break, as any safety to do that. When you critique me, you have to critique everybody. Not just me. But it seems like Ed Reed is held to a higher standard.” Another reporter later in the interview then told Reed that Rex is now daring teams to throw at Ed Reed's way. Reed responded; “I dare them too! I'm saying the same thing. I've been saying that all year. Throw the deep ball. Throw the ball at me. I've been criticized terribly this season.. but really, I've only had about four or five balls thrown at my direction.” This question is then followed up directly with; Why didn't it work out in Houston? Reed pauses for about 4 seconds, then laughs.. “A lot of reasons. To put it simply.. it just wasn't a good fit.

Obviously he has something to prove.. which is great, because having just won a championship last season, he has additional motivation. But the two things I took from this interview were: Either the hip surgery sucked out everything left in Ed Reed's tank, and he has absolutely nothing left. --thus, why Houston rid themselves of him. Or.. the Texans were using him completely wrong. Maybe, just maybe, Ed Reed is still Ed Reed.. and Wade just wasn't playing to his strengths. Be it schemes, formation(s), playing time, whatever.

Only time will tell whether the Jets got fooled, or if we pulled off a heist. If he plays well, this may be a dress-rehearsal for him to come back for the Jets next season in a limited role. If Charles Woodson's still going @ 37, why not Reed?

It's strange...Phillips is a good defensive coordinator, and Reed is a good player. But combining the two doesn't always net the anticipated results. Gretzky and Hull had no chemistry...Reed and Phillips, for all their talents, just couldn't mesh.