2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

I'm not saying it's right or wrong cause I could go either way in terms of whether Rex should be fired or not...but it's a testament to just how big a hold Rex's personality has on the locker room and the fans that there isn't a real outcry for him to be fired after three straight playoff-less seasons and that many fans (including me) actually want him back.  

Yes I'm sure on some level people realize he hasn't had a lot to work with the last couple years (though conversely he had a big hand in personnel in the Tanny years too) but usually NFL coaches don't survive three straight non-winning seasons in this day and age. Particularly ones without prior SB wins.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong cause I could go either way in terms of whether Rex should be fired or not...but it's a testament to just how big a hold Rex's personality has on the locker room and the fans that there isn't a real outcry for him to be fired after three straight playoff-less seasons and that many fans (including me) actually want him back.

Yes I'm sure on some level people realize he hasn't had a lot to work with the last couple years (though conversely he had a big hand in personnel in the Tanny years too) but usually NFL coaches don't survive three straight non-winning seasons in this day and age. Particularly ones without prior SB wins.

The other thing is the owner loves him. I honestly think Idzik probably wants to fire Rex, but Woody isn't letting it happen.

Woody probably does have a Rex tattoo on his bicep...but if public opinion demanded it and the players weren't playing for him I don't think he'd stand in Idzik's way.  The locker room's unified front for Rex and even the fans petitioning for him gives Woody the excuse to pull rank on Idzik.

And now watch the Jets not show up today now that they know Ryan is returning :whistling:

heh...well I expect them to show up, and bringing back Rex would be the right move, partially because he overachieved but also because there was no real viable alternatives out there.

I actually thought for a while this game would be a referendum on Rex, sort of like the last game of the 08 season was a referendum on Mangini. I wouldn't disagree with Woody if he went in that direction as well...but Rex has built up more of a cache than Mangini

Edited by '7'

Typical...they look like they checked out for the season.  The genius's D gave up a 90-yard TD drive and the offense lost three yards on a third-and-one.

I got that feeling early on as well. They caught a major break on the overthrow when Wallace had 2 steps on Milliner

Also CBS is pushing this Rex uncertainty angle and ignoring the recent avalanche of news that pretty much say he's coming back

Well I'll say this...Geno looks a bit better since the benching, particuarly after they incorporated his legs into the offense more.

75° bro..

It's so obvious at this point. If the weather's 40 or above, he looks solid. But he struggles in cold weather.

Well I'll say this...Geno looks a bit better since the benching, particuarly after they incorporated his legs into the offense more.

Kerley back as his security blanket helps as well. I think Jets fans really underrate Kerley

The Jets will be bringing in a vet QB next season as insurance...just in case Geno falls off a cliff. But I'm encouraged with what I've seen starting with the Raiders game.

Edited by '7'

Hell of a job by Rex this season.  Exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations (except maybe Beez's). 

Jets and Bills shut the Dolphins' O down, but of course the Pats' D couldn't do the same.  And of course Jason Campbell has done next to nothing for the past 6 weeks...except against the Pats, where he turned into Johnny Unitas. 

Anyway, Rex has basically forced Idzik's hand here.  I can't give him enough credit for what he's done.  The Jets don't have a single legitimate reason to fire him...not one.

Hell of a job by Rex this season.  Exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations (except maybe Beez's). 

Jets and Bills shut the Dolphins' O down, but of course the Pats' D couldn't do the same.  And of course Jason Campbell has done next to nothing for the past 6 weeks...except against the Pats, where he turned into Johnny Unitas. 

Anyway, Rex has basically forced Idzik's hand here.  I can't give him enough credit for what he's done.  The Jets don't have a single legitimate reason to fire him...not one.

They don't....stranger things have happened but I would be shocked if Rex is gone tomorrow. That would be an absolute bombshell

And don't try to make Rex fire defensive coaches either.  I think he'd fall on his sword rather than acede to that.

Yea I don't like that either. Dunbar has been great. Dennis Thurman is an established solid coach. Who does Idzik want gone exactly? Tim McDonald the secondary coach? Up until last week Milliner and Reed have been hot garbage and Cromartie has a balky hip...this is his fault?

They don't....stranger things have happened but I would be shocked if Rex is gone tomorrow. That would be an absolute bombshell

Rex got the absolute most of what he had to work with.  That's what a good HC does.  And he didn't have his GM backing him.  He got his team to overcome a lot.  One of the most impressive 8-8 seasons I've seen, with everything factored in.

Rex got the absolute most of what he had to work with.  That's what a good HC does.  And he didn't have his GM backing him.  He got his team to overcome a lot.  One of the most impressive 8-8 seasons I've seen, with everything factored in.

I think you may be a little too rough on Belichicks D. Belichick didn't forget how to coach D overnight, Polians whining caused a change within the league that really limited the physicality of defensive backs which is Belichicks specialty...plus Belichick has Brady, so he loads the team up on O and tries to just get by on D by playing bend not break football. I think he recognizes the direction of the NFL and tries to adjust his team accordingly. He didn't forget how to coach D...he just coaches to the strength of the team.

RT @KMart_LI: Woody announces Rex is staying

lol that didn't take long

I wish I had a team whose coach could get anything out of his players, much less every ounce of effort like Rex does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing Tannehill puss out on that 3rd and 25 slide when he could have easily had the first down and not get hit with a headfirst dive and Geno sell out on multiple runs in a meaningless game tells you all you need to know about who wanted this game.