2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

AFC_zpse9dc5434.png

..on the outside looking in, just like 2009.

--------------------------------------------------- 

REMAINING SCHEDULE(S):

• Miami: Patriots, @Bills, JETS

• Baltimore: @Detroit, NE, @Cincy.

• JETS: @Carolina, Cleveland, FISH

• SD: @Denver, Oakland, KC.

---------------------------------------------------

Can this actually happen??? :pray:

The killer for the Jets remains the tiebreakers...they're just so screwed from that standpoint.  They're basically two games behind the Ravens with three to play...if Baltimore wins one out of its last three games, the Jets have to win out, and they have yet to win two in a row this season.

That being said, if the Jets go into Carolina and win that game...Rex should be signed to an extension on the way off the field.  7-7 with some of THE worst QB play in the league?  Even at 6-7, Rex has gotten as many wins out of this group as possible through 13 games.    

Not worried about the Jets, I fear Miami sneaking in with easier opponents the rest of the way (aside from NE).

..a Ravens victory this Sunday would give them 4 consecutive wins in-a-row. I can't see this winning streak continuing against a pissed off Lions team, that's dropped 3 of their last 4 games. If Baltimore beats Detroit, in Detroit, then good for them. They deserve to get in imo at that point. I just don't see that happening. The Ravens are due for a loss. I think that happens in Michigan this Sunday.

If the Jets upset Carolina, and the Pats take care of Miami.. then HOLY SHlT! A three-way tie for that final 6th seed, with the Browns coming to MetLife the following week. That crowd would be insane for that game. Cleveland would really need to bring their lunchpales to beat the Jets.

Edited by Beezer34

..a Ravens victory this Sunday would give them 4 consecutive wins in-a-row. I can't see this winning streak continuing against a pissed off Lions team, that's dropped 3 of their last 4 games. If Baltimore beats Detroit, in Detroit, then good for them. They deserve to get in imo at that point. I just don't see that happening.

If the Jets upset Carolina, and the Pats take care of Miami.. then HOLY SHlT! A three-way tie for that final 6th seed, with the Browns coming to MetLife the following week. That crowd would be insane for that game. Cleveland would really need to bring their lunchpales to beat the Jets.

Except it's not really a three-way tie.  Baltimore would still be a game up as they hold the tiebreaker, in the event of a three-way "tie" (and the Ravens hold the same edge over the Dolphins as well).  That's the problem with looking at it that way.  Optimism is great, and I don't blame any Jets fans for not giving up until they're mathematically eliminated, but if you're going to look at this the right way, you've got to look at this as the Jets needing to be a full game up on the Ravens. 

Two games down with three to go is really, really hard to overcome, especially for a team that is as unpredictable as the Jets, where no game can be considered an "easy" win.  Not impossible, but damned hard, especially since the Jets need to win two games even if Baltimore loses all three of theirs, and they've won just once on the road all season.  Cleveland might be 4-9, but don't make them out to be pushovers...they play hard, they've been beaten Cincy and Baltimore, and damned near beat NE, who needed a miracle to beat them.  That defense can give a guy like Smith a very hard time.  Brady might have thrown for 418 yards against them, but that's a little misleading...Cleveland went into a prevent on the drive that made it 26-21 (and did a lousy job of it) that helped to puff up Brady's numbers. 

If the Jets pull this off, it will be one hell of a miraculous achievement.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Except it's not really a three-way tie.  Baltimore would still be a game up as they hold the tiebreaker, in the event of a three-way "tie" (and the Ravens hold the same edge over the Dolphins as well).  That's the problem with looking at it that way.  Optimism is great, and I don't blame any Jets fans for not giving up until they're mathematically eliminated, but if you're going to look at this the right way, you've got to look at this as the Jets needing to be a full game up on the Ravens. 

Two games down with three to go is really, really hard to overcome, especially for a team that is as unpredictable as the Jets, where no game can be considered an "easy" win.  Not impossible, but damned hard, especially since the Jets need to win two games even if Baltimore loses all three of theirs, and they've won just once on the road all season.  Cleveland might be 4-9, but don't make them out to be pushovers...they play hard, they've been beaten Cincy and Baltimore, and damned near beat NE, who needed a miracle to beat them.  That defense can give a guy like Smith a very hard time.  Brady might have thrown for 418 yards against them, but that's a little misleading...Cleveland went into a prevent on the drive that made it 26-21 (and did a lousy job of it) that helped to puff up Brady's numbers. 

If the Jets pull this off, it will be one hell of a miraculous achievement.

I agree it's a longshot, but a favorable one in terms of schedule for the Jets -- outside of Carolina. The Browns are far from pushovers.. but like I said, if the Jets pull off an upset against the Panthers, the crowd at MetLife will be unreal. You gotta believe that players on Cleveland will be going half-speed, and looking to preserve their bodies for next season.

Baltimore is so hard to read as a team. With the Patriots, Bengals & Lions all left, I have no idea how to feel in terms of predicting their outcome. I can see the Ravens beating all three teams.. but I also can see them losing all three in close games. If Baltimore goes 0-3.. then the Jets would need to win 2 out of 3. If the Ravens win only 1 game.. then the Jets need to win out. If Baltimore wins 2 games, then it's over for the Jets, regardless if they run the table.

The formula is more confusing when it comes to Miami. WFAN is actually claiming that the Jets hold a tiebreaker against the Dolphins, and could somehow get in if both teams are 8-8!?

NJDevs4978 is right...it's really going to come down to Carolina before the Jets can talk playoffs...Baltimore can squelch just about all Jet playoff talk with a road win against Detroit of course...

Would be VERY interesting, IF the Jets actually beat Carolina and IF the Ravens lost to Detroit, to see what could happen the following week...though I think the Ravens will beat NE, that game takes on a whole different feel if the Ravens potentially NEED that game to stay ahead of the Jets...and since it's a Sunday-nighter, the Ravens will know if the Jets won. 

So basically, IF the Jets beat Carolina and Cleveland, and the Ravens lose to Detroit...that Raven-Pats game suddenly has even more massive implications. 

i havent heard that but if thats tru than thats retarded. this whole time ive been thinking that a loss to carolina would wrap up the jets season. now ur telling me they could lose on sunday and still get in w. 8-8 ? retarded. only the jets

It would take a huge collapse by the Ravens...they'd have to drop all three games.  Very improbable, but not impossible.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It would take a huge collapse by the Ravens...they'd have to drop all three games.  Very improbable, but not impossible.

I don't know bro.. how "improbable" would it be? You can call it wishful thinking, but exactly which game will Baltimore be favored the rest of the way? It's not like I'm saying the Ravens need to lose to Jacksonville, Houston & Washington. If you're going by "underdog loses" mentality, the Ravens can lose-out.. Miami SHOULD beat the Bills, and lose to the Pats. The Jets SHOULD beat Cleveland, but lose to Carolina.. thus; setup a matchup @ Week 17 where the winner of the Jets\Miami game goes to the playoffs. If it's the Jets, they (at that point) would be an 8-8 team.

this will all be put to bed when clev beats u in 2 weeks

Cleveland doesn't frighten me as much as Miami that final game. Only 3 teams in the NFL have fewer wins than the Browns. When you're this bad a team in Week 15, head coaches begin getting phone calls from their front office and upper-management to sit starters, and\or IR players than are hampered with injury, but could otherwise play.

If Clowney & Matthews both go 1 & 2.. then suddenly that #3 spot becomes very intriguing to teams that are starving for a franchise quarterback. The Browns could have their pick of the litter between Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr or Manziel. --and if you don't think GM's begin the procedures of “tanking protocol” to move up in the draft, you're kidding yourself. The QB draft class for 2014 is said to be the deepest since 2004. Cleveland could trade out of their spot, provided it's high enough, gain an additional draft pick, and still get their man.

Bottomline; the Browns already got their heart cut out of them in Foxboro last week. Ignorant as it may sound, I'm penciling a victory that week for my Jets.

I don't know bro.. how "improbable" would it be? You can call it wishful thinking, but exactly which game will Baltimore be favored the rest of the way? It's not like I'm saying the Ravens need to lose to Jacksonville, Houston & Washington. If you're going by "underdog loses" mentality, the Ravens can lose-out.. Miami SHOULD beat the Bills, and lose to the Pats. The Jets SHOULD beat Cleveland, but lose to Carolina.. thus; setup a matchup @ Week 17 where the winner of the Jets\Miami game goes to the playoffs. If it's the Jets, they (at that point) would be an 8-8 team.

I'm guessing Baltimore will be a 1-2 point favorite at home against NE.  They're not going to be favored against Detroit or Cincinnati.  So yeah, in fairness, though I think they find a way to win one of those games (probably against NE), it really isn't THAT outlandish to think they could lose all three games. 

NFL Tie-Breaking Headache Procedure

If the Jets and Dolphins end up tied for a Wild Card Spot, the first tiebreaker is the division tiebreaker. 

Because the Fins currently have a 1-2 divison record and 3 division games pending and the Jets are 2-3 on the division, should the Fins lose to NE or Buffalo to end up being at 8-8 after losing to the Jets, the Jets would win the division record tiebreaker. 

However, if the two teams end up 9-7 (Assumes Jets 3-0, Dolphins 2-1 and lose to Jets), then the division records would be an even 3-3 across the board.  Which means we go to common games first (which is the 4 games vs. NFC South and the 4 games vs. AFC North, both 5-3 assuming Jets beat Carolina and Cleveland to get to this point), then Conference record, which Dolphins would win (Dolphins 8-4 in this scenario, while Jets would sit at 5-7). 

So, yes, there is a very specific scenario (in which the Jets could lose to Carolina and beat Cleveland, then Miami loses to New England or Buffalo, beats the other team, and loses to the Jets) in which the Jets can pass Miami in the division.  Whether 8-8 is good enough to be WC #2 really depends on Baltimore and how they do in their remaining tough 3 games, because they're in the drivers' seat.

NFL Tie-Breaking Headache Procedure

If the Jets and Dolphins end up tied for a Wild Card Spot, the first tiebreaker is the division tiebreaker. 

Because the Fins currently have a 1-2 divison record and 3 division games pending and the Jets are 2-3 on the division, should the Fins lose to NE or Buffalo to end up being at 8-8 after losing to the Jets, the Jets would win the division record tiebreaker. 

However, if the two teams end up 9-7 (Assumes Jets 3-0, Dolphins 2-1 and lose to Jets), then the division records would be an even 3-3 across the board.  Which means we go to common games first (which is the 4 games vs. NFC South and the 4 games vs. AFC North, both 5-3 assuming Jets beat Carolina and Cleveland to get to this point), then Conference record, which Dolphins would win (Dolphins 8-4 in this scenario, while Jets would sit at 5-7). 

So, yes, there is a very specific scenario (in which the Jets could lose to Carolina and beat Cleveland, then Miami loses to New England or Buffalo, beats the other team, and loses to the Jets) in which the Jets can pass Miami in the division.  Whether 8-8 is good enough to be WC #2 really depends on Baltimore and how they do in their remaining tough 3 games, because they're in the drivers' seat.

my gripe is in no way shape or form shouldthe jets have tiebreakers over anybody. the jets have loses to balt, tenn, ne, buff, miami, cin, and pit. how in any scenrio is it fair that they could make the playoffs w. 8-8 even if everyobe else falls apart around them.

if miami blows this, theyr pathetic.

Edited by SS#4-Life

I have to stand corrected due to a misread of a hasty stat sheet: In the second scenario, the Jets would hold the common games tiebreaker 5-3 to 4-4, so a 9-7 double-finish in that means also puts the Jets in over the Dolphins. 

As to "pathetic", can we really trust any of these AFC teams fighting for #6 to do what they need to do?  All of them have pretty horrific moments TBH.

my gripe is in no way shape or form shouldthe jets have tiebreakers over anybody. the jets have loses to balt, tenn, ne, buff, miami, cin, and pit. how in any scenrio is it fair that they could make the playoffs w. 8-8 even if everyobe else falls apart around them.

You’re just sour-grapes over your Cowboys, and you know it. :giggle:

3 things the Jets have going for them for their 2nd go-around with Miami..

#1) Revenge Factor:  In most cases the team that loses the first game to their divisional opponent, wins the second game. I actually think the pressure may get to Miami more than the Jets, in the sense of what you just said. (“We can’t blow this!”)

#2) The game’s in Miami. YES.. I just said that! --here’s why: Geno Smith is NOT a cold weather quarterback.. and his stats throughout the season prove it. During the Baltimore\Miami\Buffalo weeks, the wind was kicking, and temp. was between 30° & 35°. He played like absolute sh!t through 3 straight weeks. (and despite how competent Geno looked against Oakland, the majority of his better plays came early in the game, when the temperature was 41°) The moment the game got to the 3rd quarter, and the temperature dipped into the 30’s, Geno turned off.. and Oakland came within striking distance. It’s a blessing in disguise that Week 17 is being played in FL.

#3) http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10114659/dimitri-patterson-miami-dolphins-placed-season-ending-ir

DP is the starting CB for the Dolphins, and has played exceptionally well all season. Miami’s 5-1 with Patterson in the lineup, and 2-5 without him. He leads the team in interceptions, and is second behind Grimes in broken-up passes.

You’re just sour-grapes over your Cowboys, and you know it. :giggle:

3 things the Jets have going for them for their 2nd go-around with Miami..

#1) Revenge Factor: In most cases the team that loses the first game to their divisional opponent, wins the second game. I actually think the pressure may get to Miami more than the Jets, in the sense of what you just said. (“We can’t blow this!”)

#2) The game’s in Miami. YES.. I just said that! --here’s why: Geno Smith is NOT a cold weather quarterback.. and his stats throughout the season prove it. During the BaltimoreMiamiBuffalo weeks, the wind was kicking, and temp. was between 30° & 35°. He played like absolute sh!t through 3 straight weeks. (and despite how competent Geno looked against Oakland, the majority of his better plays came early in the game, when the temperature was 41°) The moment the game got to the 3rd quarter, and the temperature dipped into the 30’s, Geno turned off.. and Oakland came within striking distance. It’s a blessing in disguise that Week 17 is being played in FL.

#3) http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10114659/dimitri-patterson-miami-dolphins-placed-season-ending-ir

DP is the starting CB for the Dolphins, and has played exceptionally well all season. Miami’s 5-1 with Patterson in the lineup, and 2-5 without him. He leads the team in interceptions, and is second behind Grimes in broken-up passes.

Patterson couldn't stay on the field and barely played when he was active (although he was damn productive when he actually played). Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson have stepped up and played very well. Patterson's loss isn't that big a deal.

Miami can't blow it yet because they don't lead the wild card. Baltimore does. If Baltimore blows it then Miami can pick up the pieces

This scenario is sort of similar to 1991, where the Jets made the playoffs at 8-8 by beating Miami in the last game of the season. It's happened before

This scenario is sort of similar to 1991, where the Jets made the playoffs at 8-8 by beating Miami in the last game of the season. It's happened before

u get what i mean though. more than half of your wins came to nfc teams and all of your loses are to afc. how fair is to get in at 8-8 when there are so many more qualified teams not making it in the nfc. would a jets fan really be proud of making it at 8-8

u get what i mean though. more than half of your wins came to nfc teams and all of your loses are to afc. how fair is to get in at 8-8 when there are so many more qualified teams not making it in the nfc. would a jets fan really be proud of making it at 8-8

Nobody would beat their chest about making it, and yes better NFC teams will be left in the cold. We'd just take it and move on.

But it's not about the fairness of it. IF it happens (and it probably wont) it will just be math working in the Jets favor.