Watched the Wild Game

Jimmy Leeds

you said it, a rumor.

Lou always did it that way ALWAYS, then Zach, Meehan and Lou insisted that there was not talk and no negotiation at all between the 2 sides until after the season.

Lou is extremely secretive but still they all said it, we're they lying? i dont know. But its damn more believable than a Sundstrom internet rumor. And you take it as if it's a fact for your arguments... lol cmon now

Who else have they really lost at the because tehy didn't try to negotiate with them until the summer that could've possibly come back? . He got Elias to come back. Stevens never got to leave (even if he tried). Niedermayer was going no matter what to play with his brother and we know Lou tried to get him. Rafalski went home. Gomez wasn't coming back. Parise apparently just didn't wanna come back and wanted to go home for whatever dumb reason. It wasn't about the money with any of them and it wasn't for Parise either so it probably didn't matter if he negotiated w/ them or not.

We don't know what he was trying to do behind the scenes and you know he doesn't leak anything so for all you know he was talking to Zach 24 hours a day no matter what either side said. If you honestly think he didn't want to try to resign the guy he gave the captaincy to before the summer you're delusional

Edited by DH26

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Zach donned the USA sweater during the last Olympics and scored against Canada late in the 3rd to send the Gold Medal contest to OT, it was pretty cool knowing our entire country's hockey fans, including Rangers fans, were rooting for a Devils player. I'll miss that.

A part of me hopes he is injured and misses Sochi to remove any conflict about cheering for Team USA. It's going to be tough, I really don't want him to succeed at any level... ever again.

Yet you find it believable that Lou, one of the best GMs in all of sports, just sat around and did nothing as if he didn't realize the situation. Everyone knew that Zach was waiting for the big money of free agency. Come on now.

what can i say more?

1- Thats the way he as always done it. And he saying it himself and we all know it.

2- as proof from all report ever reported he never approached a player during the season and was waiting for after the season and right before the deadline. he does it every year so why are you even in denial of that? Zajac is the only player that i can remember who sign before the season before his UFA year.

that's all proof based on stuff. Why shouldnt i believe that ?

I mean Team USA is different because you're already conflicted with team affiliations from the hop anyway (Marty being on Canada usually, for starters). But Parise AND Suter on Team USA, yeah that won't be ideal. It's still better than the punks that went to Nagano and embarassed us on and off the ice though.

what can i say more?

1- Thats the way he as always done it. And he saying it himself and we all know it.

2- as proof from all report ever reported he never approached a player during the season and was waiting for after the season and right before the deadline. he does it every year so why are you even in denial of that? Zajac is the only player that i can remember who sign before the season before his UFA year.

And you think it's not possible Lou approached Zach last summer BEFORE the season started? The way he did with Travis this offseason? They certainly had discussions before the one-year agreement pre-arb and Zach's now-ominous quote about how it was an 'ideal' solution.

The other difference between Zach and Travis is Travis isn't going to get appreciably more money in FA and might in fact, have gotten less (he certainly wouldn't have gotten more years in FA under the new system). While Zach was always going to get tens of millions more by going to FA.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Who else have they really lost at the because tehy didn't try to negotiate with them until the summer that could've possibly come back? . He got Elias to come back. Stevens never got to leave (even if he tried). Niedermayer was going no matter what to play with his brother and we know Lou tried to get him. Rafalski went home. Gomez wasn't coming back. Parise apparently just didn't wanna come back and wanted to go home for whatever dumb reason. It wasn't about the money with any of them and it wasn't for Parise either so it probably didn't matter if he negotiated w/ them or not.

We don't know what he was trying to do behind the scenes and you know he doesn't leak anything so for all you know he was talking to Zach 24 hours a day no matter what either side said. If you honestly think he didn't want to try to resign the guy he gave the captaincy to before the summer you're delusional

Langenbrunner was a UFA and was re-signed as well (same year as Elias), and put up cost-effective numbers for the first four years of his deal. It didn't end well in year 5 of his contract, but all things considered, that was a good signing.

the fact that anyone still takes anything Lou says at face value and believes him is amazing to me. What do you think he was doing? Just sitting back expecting Parise to come back? And Brodeur's signed a contract extension in the middle of a season btw

And you think it's not possible Lou approached Zach last summer BEFORE the season started? The way he did with Travis this offseason? They certainly had discussions before the one-year agreement pre-arb and Zach's now-ominous quote about how it was an 'ideal' solution.

The other difference between Zach and Travis is Travis isn't going to get appreciably more money in FA and might in fact, have gotten less (he certainly wouldn't have gotten more years in FA under the new system). While Zach was always going to get tens of millions more by going to FA.

i think you guys are simply not reading or trying to understand what im saying i have to re-explain myself every time.

what can i say more?

Stevens and Brodeur signed mid season. Zajac wanted to be here. Zach didnt. How many stories did you hear about Lou talking to Zajac before it was announced? None?

What players did he lose from 'waiting', btw? None that weren't headed out the door anyway. Elias, Clarkson, Oduya, Langenbrunner, Salvador (twice), Moose, Marty, all resigned right before or right after the beginning of free agency.

Who left? Lou offered Nieds more money AND tried to get useless Rob Nieds. Rafalksi was gone. Gionta wanted too much. Gomez wanted too much.

Players leave. It happens. Lou and Zach both made business decisions.

Stevens and Brodeur signed mid season. Zajac wanted to be here. Zach didnt. How many stories did you hear about Lou talking to Zajac before it was announced? None?

What players did he lose from 'waiting', btw? None that weren't headed out the door anyway. Elias, Clarkson, Oduya, Langenbrunner, Salvador (twice), Moose, Marty, all resigned right before or right after the beginning of free agency.

Who left? Lou offered Nieds more money AND tried to get useless Rob Nieds. Rafalksi was gone. Gionta wanted too much. Gomez wanted too much.

Players leave. It happens. Lou and Zach both made business decisions.

Not to nit pick but IIRC all reports said Rafi received no offers from Lou. Sure Rafi talked up playing for his home team after he signed with Detroit, but what else is to be expected if your original team doesn't even make you a baseline?

i think you guys are simply not reading or trying to understand what im saying i have to re-explain myself every time.

I think you're constantly faulting Lou where there's no fault to be had. So you think he should have talked to Zach in-season and broken his 'norm', fine...would it really have made a difference? You generally don't hire Meehan and the Toronto agency he works for if you are going to settle for anything less than top dollar. They talked before last season, they talked after last season before FA. What more was Lou supposed to do other than win Mega Millions?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Normally, I'd bet against that, but PPs seem to be up near 2005-2007 levels. He's obviously gonna slow down, but I think 40 is obtainable.

Not even close. It's early so hockey-reference's averages are off but the average is 4.4 PPs per game. In 2005-06 they were at nearly 6.

I would have been bummed had he just decided to leave to play in his home state, but the fact that he was rumored to be talking to Suter about their futures during the Stanley Cup Finals is despicable. He can think to himself all he wants about possibilities for his future at that point, but it was very immature of him to be texting back and forth with his boyfriend about where they could both end up playing together. That's what really gets my blood boiling, that he was planning something before the season was over when the Stanley Cup was at stake.

I never read any rumors of Parise talking to Suter about their upcoming free agency during the SCF. Even if those rumors exist, that's all they are - rumors. I wouldn't take any of it as fact.

He had said something in an interview around the time of the signing saying that he and Suter had been in contact duding the SCF talking about how great it would be if they could play together. So, not really a rumor. He said it and he shouldn't have, which shows his immaturity.

He had said something in an interview around the time of the signing saying that he and Suter had been in contact duding the SCF talking about how great it would be if they could play together. So, not really a rumor. He said it and he shouldn't have, which shows his immaturity.

Until I see a link I'm going to treat it as a rumor. For all we know it could've been harmless texting back and forth that took little time and perhaps it was Parise even trying to talk NJ up to Suter. Bottom line is no one on this forum knows what happened or what Parise truly thought. In the end the Devils got fantastic production from Parise at great value.

Parise on camera talked about how he was texting and talking to Suter during the season and playoffs about playing together. I am not sure about if he did that during the SCF though, someone has to do some digging to find something on that but he definitely said on camera he was talking with him during the season at least.

http://sports.yahoo....12061--nhl.html

Edited by Zubie#8

Parise on camera talked about how he was texting and talking to Suter during the season and playoffs about playing together. I am not sure about if he did that during the SCF though, someone has to do some digging to find something on that but he definitely said on camera he was talking with him during the season at least.

http://sports.yahoo....12061--nhl.html

I still don't see it as a big deal. It's not like it affected his play at all. I think a lot of people just want to hate which is fine, it's just not for me in this situation. If I was ever good enough to play in the NHL, I'm sure I would've loved to have the chance to sign with NJ one day.

I still don't see it as a big deal. It's not like it affected his play at all. I think a lot of people just want to hate which is fine, it's just not for me in this situation. If I was ever good enough to play in the NHL, I'm sure I would've loved to have the chance to sign with NJ one day.

I think people are a bit more upset that Parise kind of strung them along with his "Don't worry" and all that junk. It's like he knew where he was going from the get-go and getting our hopes up was a ruse.

I think people are a bit more upset that Parise kind of strung them along with his "Don't worry" and all that junk. It's like he knew where he was going from the get-go and getting our hopes up was a ruse.

And if he said anything other than a typical answer like "don't worry" people would've been all over him. From a PR standpoint it was a lose-lose but I doubt he cares with the $ he got.

i agree. it definitely is weird seeing him in another sweater and i still cant believe he left. We were 2 wins from a cup......if we had won, i would totally understand why he would leave to go home. but we were so close and ill never fully understand his logic. it just totally sucks.

he better NEVER come close to sniffing the cup ever again.

I will boo him whenever he plays at the Rock again.

i agree. it definitely is weird seeing him in another sweater and i still cant believe he left. We were 2 wins from a cup......if we had won, i would totally understand why he would leave to go home. but we were so close and ill never fully understand his logic. it just totally sucks.

I would have also understood it completely if we'd lost in the first round again. The fact that he left after we'd finally turned the corner and got so close (with it being 'his' team) is what makes everything doubly frustrating. This year's team would have been a major contender again with everything else still in place.

Edited by NJDevs4978