CHEAP(ER) PARKING

mikepeluso8

So we are going to a bunch of games this year, the GF and I, and I need some help finding some good, decent, reliable, safe, cheap parking in the vicinity.

Lately, we have been showing up and paying the 30 bucks on Edison Place, parking and leaving the car and walking right in. It is so convenient to park right there, but it is so expensive.

Where are the good, cheaper places to park?

Last I checked there was the garage on Raymond Blvd and Mulberry which was $15 per event but that was in September. I think someone on here said it's still the same.

Other than that I don't know why people refuse to take the train when it's so convenient and depending where you're at, cheaper than driving and parking. Unless you're off Route 21 or near 280/80.

• 3 weeks later...

Check Parkwhiz.com.   I park at a lot at 299 Mulberry, about 3 blocks from the arena.  It's $11.99 if you prepay online and print your pass.  $15 if you pay onsite.  I like this lot -- it's close, and far enough away from the arena to be a little easier getting out.  Plus, it's easy to head south on 21 en route to 78, if you're heading that way.  It's about 8 minutes from starting the car to merging onto 78 West on most nights.

Check Parkwhiz.com.   I park at a lot at 299 Mulberry, about 3 blocks from the arena.  It's $11.99 if you prepay online and print your pass.  $15 if you pay onsite.  I like this lot -- it's close, and far enough away from the arena to be a little easier getting out.  Plus, it's easy to head south on 21 en route to 78, if you're heading that way.  It's about 8 minutes from starting the car to merging onto 78 West on most nights.

That's the one on Kinney and I park there all the time.  Didn't know you could pre-pay so I might do that from now on.  Thanks!

• Like 1

You can park for $7 a half block away down Halsey Street from Hobbies Delicatessen.. It's like a 2 block walk to Broad Street and you just cross to the block the arena is on (where there are cops).. $30 is nuts

Edited by Colin226

• 2 weeks later...

The key if you're heading 78 West for any significant amount of time, is take Broad.

First off, it gives you two options:

1. Merge onto 21 and get 78W Local Ramp. That merge is a disaster as people never remember that the right lane doesn't merge onto 21 and they all try to cut over last second. I hate that.

2. Take the right onto Clinton Ave by Lincoln Park and stay left at the Exxon to continue on Elizabeth Ave and take the right onto the 78W Express+Local Ramp. This is what I do, as it allows you to cut right onto the express side of 78.

Lastly, it's usually less crowded than 21, so that's always a plus. You can even take Raymond Blvd up towards NJIT and take a left onto what's called Norfolk at that point, which will become Irvine Turner Blvd, which also lets you out onto the 78W Express+Local Ramp. Not the nicest area, but not like you're not safe or anything.

Also, I must mention parking in a parking thread, lol, so I know someone mentioned it earlier, but if you're on the next block after Raymond, going towards the Rock, that next street has a garage that lets you park for $15. The lot 25 ft away next to TD, $30. So that garage is one of the closest for $15.

P.S. You can also, if you want to park for free, a smart person might want to check the streets right next to light rail stations, as you can usually find a side street to park for free on and then it's just $3 maximum for the light rail tickets there and back.

• 11 months later...

Hey, I just want to give a shout out to those of you who recommended the parking lot at Mulberry and Kinney Streets (which I think are Green lots 6 & 7) for fans coming from the east via I-78, and also the recommendation to use Broad Street rather than McCarter Highway/NJ 21 when leaving.  My brother and I went to the Carolina game tonight (Saturday 3/8), coming in from the Lehigh Valley, and I parked in the aforementioned lot.  The lot is secured, relatively close to the arena, and provides easy access to Broad Street (especially by exiting out of the back of the lot, rather than onto Mulberry), and using Broad Street to get back to I-78 EB makes things easier (especially considering there is only one exit lane to I-78 and if you use Broad Street, you are already in that lane).  I was able to from the parking lot back to my parents' house, about a 75 mile drive, in under 90 minutes, despite using US 22 through Phillipsburg and the free bridge at Easton rather than the toll bridge.  Thanks to everyone for posting your recommendations.

That's a heck of a drive! Happy to hear we have Devils fans that way.. I take 78 west to get home too though I get off well before PA, maybe you saw a dark gray Subaru with big Devils logo magnets on either side?

That wasn't me - my car is white, has Maryland license plates (I live in the DC area and am visiting my parents this weekend), and has a Philadelphia Eagles license plate holder on the back.  (The Devils are the one exception to my Philadelphia sports fan affiliation; incidentally I'm originally from the Lehigh Valley have never lived in New Jersey.)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/11/2013 at 6:07 AM, mikepeluso8 said:

So we are going to a bunch of games this year, the GF and I, and I need some help finding some good, decent, reliable, safe, cheap parking in the vicinity.

Lately, we have been showing up and paying the 30 bucks on Edison Place, parking and leaving the car and walking right in. It is so convenient to park right there, but it is so expensive.

Where are the good, cheaper places to park?

Some alternative thought-suggestion...

Some NHL cities on game day offer free parking at all city located lots and garages say after 2-4PM and later depending on the city. This has worked-out fantastic for the city, local merchants(restaurants, sports bars, gin mills/breweries, & retailers) and of course the Arenas/sport franchise. It has increased the draw of people into the cities with revenue coming in from their retail sales taxes-revenues. I presume the NHL franchise along with the league management, along with local .gov/business and members(Rotary, SBA, Lions Club, etc) need to synchronize to get this done.  It's documented success in many cities, so I'm sure other cities/Arena owners e.g.(AEG), and some NHL franchises can be used as an example-reference, so I think Devils/AEG management should bring this up to the city of Newark/county/state business board members. This can go for just about any event at the Rock, say on evenings and weekends.

If it hasn't already been addressed, it should be an Action/Response(A/R) item at the next NHL General Managers meeting.

• 4 months later...

For the person above who mentioned ParkWhiz - thanks. Was very easy to find parking last night using the app and buying online ahead of time only cost me $7.50 (I think the lot is called LA Parking Corp). It's basically right next to the Immigration office; easy walking distance to the Rock.