Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Wright with a CLUTCH game-tying single in the 9th!!!

Sorry but that's just flat out hilarious in light of CR's post tonight.

LOL, it is...that one blew up in my face for sure. 

That being said, Wright's still not a guy who has me saying "uh-oh" when he comes to the plate, if I'm the opposing pitcher...pitch carefully to him, you've got a good chance to strike him out.

But I have to be fair to him...he is off to a strong start this season, by the numbers:

19 GP, .309 BA, .447 OB, .529 SLG, .976 OB+SLG, 2 HR (both came in CO, which is a little worrisome), 16 RBI, 6-for-7 in SB attempts, and a terrific 17 BB-to-11 K ratio.

He got off to a similar start last season, as far as the BB/K goes, before turning into a strikeout machine in the second half of the year.  I forgot how unconscious he was early on last season...he was hitting over .400 as late as May 24, and .353 on July 19 (with an OB+SLG over 1.000 as late as July 24), before the bottom just fell out...from July 19 on, his average just dropped steadily, from .353 to .306.  Hope he doesn't lose it again like that this year.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

He's been amazing to start the season, no complaints at all; he's making a lot of contact, walking a ton, stealing bases. He's going to slow down -- there's just no way he's going to keep walking and striking out at this pace -- but hopefully the regression isn't as harsh as last year's 2nd half was. He's better than that.

He's been amazing to start the season, no complaints at all; he's making a lot of contact, walking a ton, stealing bases. He's going to slow down -- there's just no way he's going to keep walking and striking out at this pace -- but hopefully the regression isn't as harsh as last year's 2nd half was. He's better than that.

In his best years, he was around 80-90 BB and 110-120 K...last year did fall in that range (81 BB and 112 K), but it was the way he got there that was so disappointing...he was at 48 BB and 41 K through June 30 (33 BB and 71 K the rest of the way...ouch).   

I'm hoping his final numbers are about the same this season...as long as he's not striking out like he did in 2009-11, I'll take it. 

Surprise surprise, Mets already losing in the 1st. Hefner stinks.

No arguments here.  Just keep telling yourself he won't be here forever...that's what I do, lol.

He's actually putting up good numbers so far...4 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K 

Guess we should criticize these guys more often...probably won't work with Ike though...man has he been a major disappointment.

11 hits and 23 K on the year for Ike Kingman.  Keep up the great work. 

Ike's turning into Carlos Pena, a first baseman who can field and hit 30-100, but his BA and K's are cringeworthy.

And I have to admit, I HATE guys who strike out a lot.  Even though there's some high K-guys (and let's face it, there's Ks to go around in today's MLB) who fill up the power columns, to me those are the guys that feast off watered-down pitching and mistake pitching...those guys are a lot easier to get out when you need to...much more easily overmatched by better pitching. 

Man, sucks that it looks like a good Hef start might get wasted...but it seems like the other guy is pitching a fine game himself.

Looks like they may only get one run out of this inning, but at least they drove up Ryu's pitch count...they have have gotten him out of there for the 7th.

Oh no...here comes (Str)ike Out Davis.

Like I said, Ike needs a platoon partner, and it shouldn't be Justin Turner. If you can't commit to putting Duda at 1B with a RHB in the OF, get rid of one the outfielders and bring up Satin or Lutz.

Agree with what you're saying, but it's still frustrating though...Ike was supposed to be an everyday player...maybe he still can be, but man am I down on him. 

Hat tip to Hefner. Pitched a nice game after I slammed him after the 1st inning. :P

Kind of game the Mets almost have to find a way to win now...not sure many good Hef starts one can expect to get.

Dodgers got another inning out of Ryu...nice job on Ryu's part to give his team another inning.

nmig:  kinda sucks about Ike, that we're already talking about him not being the guy.  Is he starting to hear the boo birds yet? 

I rarely get to watch full games (my daughter is already 4-and-a-half years old, so I'm busy doing daddy things), but I thought I heard some boos after he struck out yesterday.  I think the Mets fans are ready to start piling on him soon. 

Funny, with today's start, Hef's numbers don't look THAT bad (21 IP, 20 H, 11 BB, 12 K) until you realize that 7 out of the 20 hits left the ballpark.  Amazingly, in two out of his four starts he's only allowed one run.  But yeah, those kinds of starts are going to be the exception and not the norm for him.

Can't really say they blew it (it's not like the game was theirs to lose), but yeah, didn't think they were winning after that 8th.

Oh well...team is .500 after 20 games...considering the expectations, I'll take it.

Oh yeah almost forgot: thanks for not using your best reliever for the 9th, Terry. Even your standard manager goes to the closer at home in the 9th. Scott Rice is a freakin' career minor league veteran.

Haha NOW Ike homers. Figures.