Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Ike batting 7th tonight.  How many times are the Mets going to shuffle this guy around?  This can't be helping.   

Since no one here seems to have seen/heard Sandy yesterday, here's an article referencing his on-air appearance during yesterday's game:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/sandy_ike_will_stay_in_majors_little_TCxegoo3rUNlJEK04RZHDN?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Mets

Big day for this organization:  Wheeler starts for the 51s today, and Harvey for the Mets.  According to this article, Sandy basically said that if Zack pitches well enough in the next 2-3 starts, he will get a call-up.  Obviously it'd be awesome if he could come up and succeed right away, Harvey-style, but if he doesn't, not the end of the world...he can always go back down if he still needs work.   

Rafael Montero, another starting pitcher, may also get a call-up before season's end.  He has insanely good control:  in 246.1 minor league innings, he's struck out 235 hitters...and walked just 39!  And he's not one of those guys who doesn't walk anybody but gives up a lot of hits...he's allowed just 195 hits in those 246.1 innings.  He has a career WHIP of 0.95.

Granted, most of Montero's innings are lower minor-league (he's made just one AAA start and 8 AA starts, but he's been moving steadily and quickly up through the system), but it's nice to have someone else to get excited about, who we might even see this season to boot. 

Trying not to put the cart before the horse here, but next year could see a rotation of Harvey, Wheeler, Montero, Niese, and a #5 TBD...I'm sure there would be growing pains with such a group, but just the fact that there's POTENTIAL for success going forward in the starting roation is a nice feeling to have.  Trying not to think of Generation K too much here... 

I like Montero but his numbers are a bit deceiving. His fastball is solid but not plus and he gets by mostly on excellent command. His slider shows flashes of being an out-pitch but his changeup just isn't there. This isn't MY perception, this is the perception of those who have seen him often. He's definitely one of the team's top prospects, maybe even 2nd behind Wheeler depending on how much you like Syndergaard, but the secondaries still need some development. People who have seen him have been impressed that he locates his low-90's fastball very, very well but his secondaries are a work in progress.

Speaking of prospects, it's nice to see Cesar Puello and Steven Matz come back from the prospect graveyard. Puello, an outfielder, is hitting .315/.379/.543 with 9 SB in 12 tries and 6 HR. He has a huge arm, at least plus from those who've seen him, and he's always been considered incredibly toolsy; he seems to be finally putting it all together this year, which is nice. Matz was the team's top pick in 2009 but has been derailed by TJS. He's finally in full season ball this year and showing very good stuff -- 90-93, touching 95, with the makings of a good slider.

Edited by nmigliore

Sounds like Montero may project as a #3/4 guy based on that info.  Not bad.  Not every prospect is going to have electric stuff.  Kind of impressive that he's put up the numbers that he has so far despite having limitations, but goes without saying that the major are a far cry from the competition he's faced to date. 

Saw you mentioned Snydergaard...he's in A+ ball right now.  I'm assuming mid-late 2015 for him, at the very earliest?   

Sounds like Montero may project as a #3/4 guy based on that info.  Not bad.  Not every prospect is going to have electric stuff.  Kind of impressive that he's put up the numbers that he has so far despite having limitations, but goes without saying that the major are a far cry from the competition he's faced to date. 

Saw you mentioned Snydergaard...he's in A+ ball right now.  I'm assuming mid-late 2015 for him, at the very earliest?   

Yeah I think that's about right. He should see AA in the 2nd half of this season (if not sooner). If you assume he splits all of next year between AA and AAA, an ETA of 2015 is fair. His secondaries also need improving but he has a bigger frame than Montero, a better fastball with nasty sink, and he throws a lot of strikes too. If he reaches his potential he could be a #2; Montero projects more as what you say -- a #3/4 guy. Someone compared Montero to a modern day Bartolo Colon and I think that's pretty fair -- arsenal heavily built around low-90's fastballs, great command, very few walks, moderate strikeout rate.

Edited by nmigliore

What's good about this is that, if all goes according to plan (BIG if of course...a lot can happen with young arms), Niese will probably be a #4.  No knock on Niese, but that's probably where he belongs, and will have the best chance for success...he could be a terrific #4.

LOL you can't make this up. Ike Davis lets a ball go right by on him -- yeah on PURPOSE -- thinking it was surely foul. Guess what?! He was WRONG. Mets are now going to lose because of that.

But by all means let's keep him up here, oh Sandy the Great.

It didn't look any better in the clip I saw on the Mets' site lol.  Whoever the announcer was (it wasn't the SNY crew) made a good point, there's literally no downside to fielding it.  At worst it's either foul or you get an easy out at first.

I saw it, and yeah, it's hard to fathom.  And yeah, no downside to fielding it...geez, first and third basemen make plays on foul balls all of the time.  I can't remember ever having seen an infielder pull such an obvious Roger Dorn before.

Anyway, if the Mets don't do SOMETHING with Ike (what are they going to do now, bat him 8th?), then it just goes to show that nothing with the Mets has changed, no matter what they have coming up through their system.  I listened to the WFAN yesterday after the game (around 5:00), just to hear what Met fans had to say, and the overwhelming consensus is that Sandy is a befuddled moron who'd better start showing some signs of life very soon.  Yeah, it's easy for fans to say that, and it's not like Sandy can hit for Ike and Duda, etc. 

But Fatso made some good points yesterday (it'd be nice if Fatty didn't have to take such obvious pleasure in the Mets' sucking, but that's Mikey)...one of them being that Captain Passive needs to answer some questions by the end of THIS season, and not turn 2014 into a re-do of this season.  What that means if Ike and Duda continue to suck for the rest of this season, or suck enough that Sandy shouldn't feel comfortable keeping them in the team's plans beyond this season, he can't try to sell Met fans on "Well, we're going to give them one last chance in 2014 to see what they both can do."  Met fans were willing to punt on 2013 right along with Captain Passive, provided they saw progress and were given reasons to believe that 2014 would mark the end of 70-79 win, noncompetitive seasons.  But everyone's patience is running very thin, and Stammerin' Sandy better not to try to sell us on 2014 needing to be an extension of 2013 so he can be sure about certain players.   

And for the love of God, if everything else this season is lost, at least restore some friggin' ACCOUNTABILITY in this organization!  Ike Davis has played himself out of the lineup, despite being given an absurd amount of opportunities to get himself going.  He flat-out doesn't deserve another game at the major-league level.  The Mets have to show their fans they actually dare to hold their players accountable when they're doing NOTHING for this long!

Ike Davis checked out defensively weeks ago. It's long past due for him to go. I was a bit more patient with him than CR but it looks like CR was right. You just can't tolerate these kind of mental mistakes. Do the Braves or Phillies this kind of dead weight for so long? To the point where he's an embarrassment on the field and at the plate?

It's one thing to be mediocre or bad...but it's another to be bad and unfocused

I'm not sure how much of this is on Sandy. The Wilpons are likely tying his hands, but he's also not finding much in terms of diamonds in the rough.

Ankiel has performed well in a very small sample, but he will soon show his warts. This was a dumpster dive.

Braves and Yankees will absolutely massacre us. 2-4 will be incredible. I will sign on the dotted line for that now.

Edited by '7'

In fairness, I don't think I was overly impatient with Ike.  If anything, I think I was more annoyed with the Mets just blindly trotting him out there day after day after day.  He's played in 42 out of 44 games, which is really inexcusable under the circumstances...especially for a team that is trying to take steps towards establishing themselves as a contending, well-run franchise in the near future.  If the Mets had sent Ike down, or at least sat him down more often, I don't think the fans would've complained...they would've understood.  All the Mets did was shuffle him all over the lineup, praying for different results, and giving Met fans more and more reasons to turn on the guy.  Everyone involved came off looking really clueless on this one, especially since this latest slump hit ridiculous proportions. 

Where the Mets are in trouble most right now could be with their fans' level of trust...I think as Sandy made his two big farm-stocking moves (bringing in Wheeler, D'Arnaud, etc), fans were behind him, and willing to be patient.  Then he did nothing with a nothing outfield...even then, I think although most Met fans were a little frustrated with that, they were willing to give Sandy the benefit of the doubt on that.  But I think Sandy's recent WFAN and SNY appearances, coupled with the Mets' 10-23 record after a 7-4 start, have Met fans doubting again.  Fans who called in to the WFAN after the Mets' last loss made it clear that they have no intention of paying to see the Mets, and who can blame them?  The joke has been that the Met fans will at least come out to see Harvey starts, but he's already showing signs of being less electric in his last three starts:  20.2 IP, 19 H, 8 ER, 5 BB, 16 K (3.48 ERA).  Still good numbers, but it's too early to say that Harvey's a sure thing YET, and he was never projected to be as good as he's been in the majors to date...he's also racking up a lot of pitches (105 per start).  Heaven help us all if he starts to wear down and hits a wall...

BTW, Wheeler's first start since his clavicle incident (he got the win):  5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 HR, 2 BB, 2 K.  Only 67 pitches thrown (43 strikes).  So far as I can tell, no issues after the start, and it looks like the Mets were being cautious with him, which is understandable.  All things considered, looks like he's OK. 

Gotta give Hef credit...this guy has really exceeded expectations.  Really hope he gets a win.

Hopefully Captain Passive finally removes his head from his do-nothing ass and does right by Ike Davis...unless he likes seeing a guy who was once a top prospect sinking further and further into the abyss.  I have lost so much respect for Alderson for the way has handled (or more accurately, not handled) this mess. 

Oh well, so much for Hef getting a win. 

Gotta give Hef credit...this guy has really exceeded expectations.  Really hope he gets a win.

Hopefully Captain Passive finally removes his head from his do-nothing ass and does right by Ike Davis...unless he likes seeing a guy who was once a top prospect sinking further and further into the abyss.  I have lost so much respect for Alderson for the way has handled (or more accurately, not handled) this mess. 

Oh well, so much for Hef getting a win. 

Hef is like the new Anthony Young. Not great, but not deserving of the numbers next to his name either

One thing that concerns me about Alderson is how detached he is seemingly from what's going on. He's not attacking the situation like a GM who really cares.

He' too Spock like. Too professorial. Not enough leadership and action. I think it trickles down to everyone.

Edited by '7'

Left after the 6th inning... weather was just unbearable. 40+ degrees with June right around the corner, superb! Reminded of a game I went to a couple of Aprils ago where I froze my ass off. Only area of warmth was the bathroom.

Edited by nmigliore

They can't honestly play this through the top of the 9th can they. In this freezing monsoon?

I doubt the Mets tie it up without the rain. Unless Varvaro normally has these types of control issues

Hef is like the new Anthony Young. Not great, but not deserving of the numbers next to his name either

One thing that concerns me about Alderson is how detached he is seemingly from what's going on. He's not attacking the situation like a GM who really cares.

He' too Spock like. Too professorial. Not enough leadership and action. I think it trickles down to everyone.

Hef has made nine starts, and five of them have been quality starts.  I could see him being 4-3 or something like that with reasonable luck.  The fact is, almost to a fan, we expected nothing from this guy, but he's been decent. 

I'm annoyed with Sandy, especially with the way this Ike Davis mess has spiraled out of control (Sandy has to at least see that Ike's teammates are stuck answering questions about him after every 0-fer), but if I'm being fair to him, Sandy can't execute for these guys either.  If Ike had performed closer to last year's second half (reasonable to expect), and if Tejada was performing more like 2011-12 Tejada, the Mets probably have a few more wins...if they were, say, 20-24 instead of 17-27, we're probably not as ticked with Sandy as we are right now. 

There's still plenty to be pissed off about, re: Sandy, and his befuddled demeanor of late isn't helping his cause.  And the Ike thing is beyond baffling.  I don't know how anyone can defend the way the Mets have handled him.

For all the crap we give to Ike and others, Tejada has been absolutely horrible as well.

2013: 58 wRC+, -0.3 fWAR

Past calendar year: 77 wRC+, 0.7 fWAR

He's just an average-at-best type of player but those numbers shouldn't be acceptable.  

Edited by nmigliore

I still think you have Tejada hit in the 10th there. Buck and Davis are slow as hell. Tejada is slow himself...even if they get it down thet might force at 2nd and throw to 3rd.

What an all around disgrace they are. Gee needs to get out of this rotation. Even in the 3rd and 4th they were hitting bullets off him that were finding gloves.

Will getting swept by Atlanta and then 4 straight to the Yankees rouse Sandy out of his slumber?

Edited by '7'

This game is really indicative how 95% of the Mets/Braves have gone since 1996 or so.

I hope this is the start of something good for Marcum, so we can get a decent return at the deadline.

Sad how pathetic this team looks. I dont think they're gutless like some past Mets teams so I cant really get mad at them, but they are talentless and helpless. That's on Sandy and the Wilpons