Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

At least the season has a little juice now...for the next week at least, it won't just be about Harvey's next start or when Wheeler's getting a call-up...or WTF is wrong with Ike Davis, lol

Funny how some good pitching can cover up a lot of ills though...this team is now down to a .228 batting average.  And the runs aren't coming any easier...20 runs scored in their last five games, 9 of which came in one game. 

Scary thought:  with a win tonight, the Mets can finish the month of May just one game under .500 for the month (they'd finish 13-14 for May).  Kind of remarkable for a team that was 7-14 for the month and 12 games under .500 for the season back on May 25.  Oh the joy of a lil' winning streak...

6 games against the Marlins and 3 against the Nats.  Nats have been about as putrid as the Mets, as far as scoring runs goes, and the Marlins...yikes.  The Mets are 5-4 against those teams to date, and that's what I'm hoping for again over these next 9 games.  Five-game winning streaks aside, the Mets still aren't a very good team and still have a lot of issues, and they shouldn't really be expected to beat up on anybody...even the Marlins.  But if they DO go 5-4, that gives them a record of 27-33...not great by any stretch, but not pathetic either, and within sight of respectability. 

8-1 would get them to .500, at 30-30, but that seems like the craziest of pipe dreams...I can't see the Mets ever winning 13 out of 14 at any point this season.  I'll take 5-4 pretty happily. 

Great game for Gee, would love to see more of that, but I remember Chris Capuano going crazy one game for the Mets (when he threw that 2-hitter against the Braves and struck out 13, with no walks), and others pitching terrific games seemingly out of nowhere...then promptly sinking back into mediocrity.  Not going to get my hopes up with Gee just yet.

Parnell has now given up 15 hits in his last 33.1 innings.  He's bounced back nicely from his first tough outing (back on May 22) too...4 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 5 K, and 3 saves in his last four appearances.  These 33.1 innings remain a small sample compared to the inconsistency and blow-ups that came before them, but there's clearly reasons for optimism.  He's not exactly closing for a team in thick of a race, but he IS closing effectively (seven straight chances saved), and that's what we were hoping for this season from Parnell...to see if he could truly succeed as a closer.  He's taken some very positive first steps.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4-0.  Game over. 

nmig, the Mets are pretty lowly themselves.  Like I said in a previous post, they can't be penciled in to beat anyone.  Not with their offense. 

14 wins for the Marlins after this one ends, 4 of which have come vs the Mets. Amazing.

4-0.  Game over. 

nmig, the Mets are pretty lowly themselves.  Like I said in a previous post, they can't be penciled in to beat anyone.  Not with their offense. 

Hey, I wasn't the one talking about the thought of them going 8-1 over their next nine or whatever. Just frustrating to see them continue to play so poorly against a Miami team that may turn out to be the worst team in baseball history (no hyperbole in that statement either).

I'll be happy if they can win the next two but I'm sure they won't.

Edited by nmigliore

I said quite clearly that 8-1 was a pipe dream.  I'm hoping for 5-4 (which I also said quite clearly).

The Marlins actually match up kind of well with the Mets...neither team can really hit worth a damn, and the Marlins have pitched a little better overall. 

Another hapless-looking AB that ends in a K for Ike.  I guess as long as he gets a hit here and there, the Mets will look the other way.

One thing to be said for Murph...I maintain that he's still limited, as far as his skills go.  But he's got some grit to him...some anger...some emotion.  Something to be said for that. 

David's starting to rack up the Ks again.  Seen that before.

Yea that was a pretty horrible strikeout today against a lefty who pretty much tossed up a meatball down the middle of the plate when murphy was on 2nd.

Until they upgrade the offense these kind of games will continue. The Mets have 2 legit hitters (Wright, Murphy) who go up to the plate with some semblance of a plan, the rest are just mindless guess hackers(does Ankiel do anything EXCEPT swing for the fences on every pitch). Now when they guess right the Mets will put runs on the board, when they mostly guess wrong you get games like today.

It gets even worse when Wright slumps (like he is now), and admittedly, after last year's second half, I can't help but wonder that whenever Wright does find himself in a slump, if it's going to be a loooooooong one. 

Ankiel is now hitting, well like Ankiel again...the one that wasn't good enough for the Astros, but is somehow good enough for Captain Passive's Mets. 

You are right 7, Mets pretty much have to pitch their asses off (like they did during the 5-game winning streak) and hope the few guys who can actually hit the damn ball actually do so. 

God McHugh is such a piece of garbage. This needs to be the last major league start he makes for the mets EVER.

Last four starts in the majors have been bad for him.  This was a golden opportunity for the guy who was clearly on the outside looking in to try to show his team something.  Safe to say he didn't make the most of it.  He pitched himself out of having any relevance for the Mets in the near future.  Only way he gets another shot anytime soon is if arms start landing on the DL.

The seemingly endless parade of strikeouts is what makes me insane.  It's not even like these guys strike out and do other things well (like get on base, hit for power, etc)...they just fvcking strike out, over and over and over again. 

Hopefully, when Sandy decides he can be bothered with attempting to improve the major-league product, maybe he can start with trying to find guys whose bats actually meet the ball on occasion.  That'd be a hell of a start. 

Now I don't feel bad for not giving two s*its about the sweep lol.  Guess that was the Mets' moment for this year like Santana's no-hitter was last year.

Amazing how quickly this team destroyed whatever goodwill they had built up in that sweep.  Took all of two days. 

Wow...top of the 9th, Mets getting destroyed, and now they're talking about the friggin '94 Rangers beating the Devils.  Even mentioned "Matteau Matteau Matteau". 

Marlins now 10-38 against the rest of major league baseball, and 5-3 against the Mets.  Outstanding.

Rick AnKiel sucks.

Even Houston knew that...not Stammerin' Sandy though. 

Wright looking more and more like the player who disappeared right along with the Mets last year.  Oh Captain my Captain.  :rolleyes:

Marco Solo hits a home run.  His eyes must light up when he sees no one on base.

It's not so serious a slump that I'm concerned...could be Wright trying to do too much. Not like he's getting any support in that lineup either.

Duda's numbers are hilarious. 10 solo home runs. Unreal

Some guys find a way, one way or another, even when they're not well supported.  Wright doesn't.  He's a good player, not saying he's nothing, but the idea that he's either a leader or a cornerstone player is silly.  At this point in his career, he's a complementary player who is (unfortunately) seen as more than that by his franchise.

Wow, is Harvey getting some unbelievably bad luck today.  This must be driving him insane.