Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Re:  Gomez, I can't get that excited about his 2012-13 seasons.  Yes, he's done some good things...nice when your CF can hit some dingers, and is a good baserunner who can steal some bases (though it's not like he steals a ton of them). 

Huh? He has 74 SB over the last two years; of qualified hitters, only Mike Trout (82) has more, and Trout has done that with 300+ more PA. Maybe the actual totals don't seem like "a ton" but relative to his peers, which should always be the baseline as opposed to raw numbers, it's enough to rank at the top. He doesn't hit many doubles but he ranks 4th in triples since the start of 2012, and again, that's despite 200-300 less PA than the players above him. He hits plenty of homers, enough to put him in the top 5 at his position. Gomez will never get on base much due his plate approach, no doubt, but there's more to hitting than just getting on base. Gomez excels in these other areas (triples, homers, stealing bases), which really helps him overcome the OBP issues. Add in the fact he plays a premium position and has played it better than any of his brethren, and you get a player that is pretty fantastic.

Gomez is a lot like Adam Jones, widely considered a star player, except with a much better glove in CF. 

Edited by nmigliore

Talk of the Mets trading for Tulowitski.  I would actually trade Wheeler, who is really the only thing the Rockies might want.  Still isn't clear what you have with Wheeler (which is the case with any young pitcher), and the everpresent injury risk with pitchers. 

Plus, the Mets might actually be able to get by with a pitching staff without Harvey and Wheeler for next year.  I would actually take a chance on Phil Hughes and other guys that have had trouble giving up homeruns in band box type stadiums, which Citi Field is not. 

I would trade Wheeler+ in a heartbeat for Tulowitzki. Best SS in baseball, in his prime, pricey but well below-market level contract for his talent. Only knock on him is he always finds a way to get banged up and miss some time, but ~500 PA/year of Tulo is still better than what pretty much every other SS will give you over 600+ PA/year. Other than NY beat writers trying to drum up interest I don't know if he'll actually come available, but if he does, I would LOVE to see the Mets acquire him. 

Edited by nmigliore

GP for Tulowitzki the last four seasons:  122, 143, 47, 123. 

Home/away splits aren't too bad for some who plays 81 games a year in Colorado.

Yeah, 120-140 games of Tulowitzki is nothing to sneeze at...you can get by in the other 20-40 games with a Quintanilla type (or someone a little better)...you just hope you can get those 120-140 games out of Tulowitzki.  Would be hard to see Wheeler go for sure, but as we all know, pitchers are such friggin' wild cards when it comes to health. 

Huh? He has 74 SB over the last two years; of qualified hitters, only Mike Trout (82) has more, and Trout has done that with 300+ more PA. Maybe the actual totals don't seem like "a ton" but relative to his peers, which should always be the baseline as opposed to raw numbers, it's enough to rank at the top. He doesn't hit many doubles but he ranks 4th in triples since the start of 2012, and again, that's despite 200-300 less PA than the players above him. He hits plenty of homers, enough to put him in the top 5 at his position. Gomez will never get on base much due his plate approach, no doubt, but there's more to hitting than just getting on base. Gomez excels in these other areas (triples, homers, stealing bases), which really helps him overcome the OBP issues. Add in the fact he plays a premium position and has played it better than any of his brethren, and you get a player that is pretty fantastic.

Gomez is a lot like Adam Jones, widely considered a star player, except with a much better glove in CF. 

Admittedly, when I think "a ton" of stolen bases, I think 50+, but no one really seems to be doing that right now. 

If Gomez could actually hit .280 with a .333 OB% consistently going forward (where he is right now, thanks to the three-month anomaly), I would take him...but he's shown himself to be a .250 avg/.300 OB% guy for most of his career.  I have a feeling he's going to be back down there again next season (and he's even worse than that for long stretches, as we've seen since July 6).  For all of the good things he does when he DOES get on base, he doesn't get on base nearly enough...not enough to be counted on for any kind of consistency YET.

Like I've said, if he becomes a .280+/.330+ type for the remainder of his prime years, I'll take him, even with the God-awful BB-to-K ratio, but he hasn't given me any reason to believe he'll be that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I still wouldn't give Wheeler up, even for Tulowitzki (and it will likely cost more than Wheeler) Harvey is a ? right now. If he plays his cards wrong he may miss a significant portion of 2014 AND 2015. So we may be short Wheeler AND Harvey

I feel that we'll be taking Wheeler out of the picture, and ending up with 90 games of Tulo a year.

I'd rather keep the pitching depth and go for Choo in left. Lagares CF. Byrd RF...Peralta SS

Edited by '7'

Mets lose again. Jays won, which was nice. Right now the Mets are tied for the 9th pick with Toronto and Milwaukee but would pick 10th due to tiebreakers. 

Unless I figured things out wrong, I think the Mets clinch a protected pick if they lose 1 of these final 2 games. 

Edited by nmigliore

Per the beat writers TC is coming back on a 2 year extension with an option for 2016.

Not a big surprise here, it's been rumored for awhile that he was coming back and Sandy has been very positive when talking about TC the past month or so.

Also, scratch Hunter Pence off the list of available outfielders this winter - just signed an extension with the Giants, 5/90.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah like someone (CR or 7) said a while back, Collins deserves a shot with an actual major league roster, although who knows if he's even getting that next year.  They didn't completely crap the bed without Harvey and Wright, that's worth something even in meaningless games when you talk about whether the guys play for a manager or not.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Re:  Collins, I have mixed feelings.  The one thing I think factors strongly in his favor is that his team always plays hard for him and doesn't give up.  That's a big deal.

When you look at the wins and losses, and consider that they lost both their best pitcher, their closer, and their best hitter for extended periods of time, and that a lot of things didn't go according to plan (like Ike Davis being a complete offensive zilch for the first half of the season AGAIN), you really can make the argument that the Mets actually overachieved.  

The structure of the deal makes sense...I think what it shows is that Sandy expects the Mets will be contending for a World Series by 2016, and Collins will get the next two seasons to show he can manage a contender here, and be more than the caretaker he was originally signed on to be.  If all goes as I think Sandy expects (he and the Wilpons have to do their part, which is iffy), Collins will get an extension after these two seasons...can't see the Mets lame-ducking Collins if the Mets make significant progress in 2014 and 2015.

Re:  the Mets draft position, funny as it sounds, I think Dice K probably screwed up the Mets' plans somewhat...I don't think they ever expected him to pitch as well overall as he wound up pitching.  They probably thought they were getting 1-2 wins out of his slot.

So long as the Mets get a protected pick I don't really care where they slot in lol...sounds like the only way we don't get a protected pick is to win the final two games.  Estrada-Niese is probably pick 'em tomorrow though.  At least the Brewers have Segura back (good for my fantasy team's championship hopes too :P).

So long as the Mets get a protected pick I don't really care where they slot in lol...sounds like the only way we don't get a protected pick is to win the final two games.  Estrada-Niese is probably pick 'em tomorrow though.  At least the Brewers have Segura back (good for my fantasy team's championship hopes too :P).

I agree, as long as it's protected, but I definitely don't think the Mets thought they'd ever be in danger of losing it when Dice K (and later Harang) joined the rotation.

Re:  Choo, I'm guessing the Mets make a semi-earnest offer, get outbid by someone else, then say, "Well, we tried."  I won't chastise them for it...he's a good player, but not SO good that the Mets should overpay significantly for his services.  Ditto Ellsbury.

Re:  EY, ESPN said it perfectly in their fantasy spin:  After a hot start to his Mets tenure, Young's hitting stats have long since returned to their normal ugliness.  God I hope Sandy doesn't make the same mistake that others have made...thinking EY was a strong performer for the Mets the entire time he was here.  There's a reason it only took Colin McHugh to get him...and why he was DFA'd by the Rockies.  He filled a gap, but his Met career needs to end with the season. 

EDIT:  Even worse, EY is also delusional...Gary Apple reported that EY apparently feels he's proven he can be an everyday player.  Nothing worse than a player who's oblivious to his own sucktitude.

And Apple is yet another guy who hasn't been watching...it has NOT been a terrific season for EY Gary!  Why do people keep extrapolating one hot month into his whole Mets' tenure?  If he's the Mets' starting LF next season, it's going to be borderline disastrous.  A case cannot be made for him...not by anyone who's actually been attention, anyway.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sorry, but a Brewer needs to get plunked before this game is over.  Another ball thrown at Wright's head.  I know Nelson has lost his command completely, Rick Ankiel-style, but enough is enough.

Not that this game means anything, but that bottom of the 9th is a microcosm of the Mets luck over the past 7 years. Bases loaded 1 out, David Wright at the plate. 1-0 pitch he reaches for an awful pitch, ball 2...hits off the pitchers glove and right to the 2b for a DP. Game over.

Mets also had a bases loaded 0 out opportunity earlier. Young lines out, Duda swings at a 2-0 pitch on his hands to pop it up, Wright taps out to 3rd.

I can't wait until Atchinson is off this team. Just waste in human form. No movement on his fastballs.

Edited by '7'

Doofus is proving why the Mets need to move on from him on an almost daily basis.  Let him go hit 20 HRs by accident (his raw power dictates that will happen) for some bad team that has nothing to lose.  This guy got enough friggin' chances here.

Wright is what Wright has been for a while now.  You don't build an offense around him.  It leads to a lot of frustration.  He doesn't get it done nearly enough.

Good for the Mets clinching a protected pick.  Not sure why the Mets would make a Sunday during football season Piazza Day, but that's the Mets. 

Doofus is proving why the Mets need to move on from him on an almost daily basis.  Let him go hit 20 HRs by accident (his raw power dictates that will happen) for some bad team that has nothing to lose.  This guy got enough friggin' chances here.

Wright is what Wright has been for a while now.  You don't build an offense around him.  It leads to a lot of frustration.  He doesn't get it done nearly enough.

Good for the Mets clinching a protected pick.  Not sure why the Mets would make a Sunday during football season Piazza Day, but that's the Mets. 

Yea I just sort of realized that too. It really should've been this afternoon. Last day of the season is usually a nice crowd anyway. They could've gotten 45k today and 30k ish tomorrow. Instead they'll get the full house tomorrow and 15 people today. Only the Wilpons could mess something like this up

Wright has been more clutch than usual this season. However that AB was just horrific. I mean you're up 1-0 with a guy that's wild. Wait for your pitch or let him walk you. Why reach for something off the plate? He got too anxious

Edited by '7'

I know there are some sabes and other numbers that might say something different, but moments like that show why Wright is simply not great.  You're not terribly surprised when he fails in spots like that...more surprised when he doesn't. 

I'm not going to touch the Wright stuff; it's the same old argument that goes nowhere. If you think Wright is more very good than awesome, so be it; if I haven't convinced you otherwise by now, I doubt I ever will. All I know is I'm very happy he's on our team and I think I can speak for everyone when I say it's great to see him performing like vintage Wright over these last two years. It makes me more optimistic about his aging than how I felt, in, say, 2011. 

Well I think we're all happy to have him on the team. But it is upsetting to watch him languish and have his prime years wasted as well (couple of unfortunate injuries haven't helped)

He will be 31 this offseason, the pieces have to start being added immediately for a 2015 run. 2 bats have to be added to the outfield this offseason (or 1 OF and 1SS) a decision has to be made at 1st. The bullpen needs some work as well, and it wouldn't kill them to add an arm to the starting rotation. Then we have the Harvey dilemma with TJ surgery or not

This is a big crossroads offseason. If the Mets don't nail it then it will not be a happy ending for Wright in NY.

Yea I just sort of realized that too. It really should've been this afternoon. Last day of the season is usually a nice crowd anyway. They could've gotten 45k today and 30k ish tomorrow. Instead they'll get the full house tomorrow and 15 people today. Only the Wilpons could mess something like this up

Wright has been more clutch than usual this season. However that AB was just horrific. I mean you're up 1-0 with a guy that's wild. Wait for your pitch or let him walk you. Why reach for something off the plate? He got too anxious

That's why.  They were probably worried about having a half-empty stadium on Saturday for Piazza day and being embarassed.  I mean they aren't exactly retiring Mike's number, it's a Mets HOF induction which is like...duh anyway, of course he's a Mets HOF'er lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I wish they DID retire Big Mike's number. I mean, it's got to happen eventually, probably after he goes into the real Hall of Fame, but it seems silly to wait for that when you're having a ceremony honoring his Met career tomorrow. Oh well. 

---

Mets could finish as high as #7 with their pick now, but would need plenty of help (2 Rockies' wins, 1 Phillies' win, and a Mets' loss tomorrow). All of that probably isn't happening but a Phillies' win (they're up 5-1 in the 8th tonight) and a Mets' loss tomorrow gives them #8 overall in the 2014 Draft.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't think they should wait until he goes into the real HOF to retire his number. Piazza was the centerpiece to a memorable Mets resurgence and really one of the greatest of all time at his position

I mean freaking Casey Stengels number was retired (I know, different administration) but all he was is basically a jester in a Mets uniform who is not remembered fondly or as a Mets legend by anyone. Here we are 6 years after his retirement and still no #31 on the wall. That's wrong.