Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Stanton is just starting to hit too.

I got a feeling (based on nothing, just intuition) that the Mets are making more than just inquiries with the Marlins and Stanton, and want to make a splash as with Piazza in 1998. But they're trying to get it done without Wheeler

maybe I'm projecting my desires...but I really want him in our outfield.

Horrible series. And we draw Jose Fernandez tomorrow, fantastic. Ugh.

For whatever it's worth, Fernandez has given up nine runs in his last 9 IP...which means he'll probably slice and dice the Mets' line-up to the tune of two or three hits allowed in a complete game shutout. 

Stanton is just starting to hit too.

I got a feeling (based on nothing, just intuition) that the Mets are making more than just inquiries with the Marlins and Stanton, and want to make a splash as with Piazza in 1998. But they're trying to get it done without Wheeler

maybe I'm projecting my desires...but I really want him in our outfield.

I think Sandy's waiting for a while...seems doubtful, but if Wheeler struggled through the All-Star Break (especially from a control standpoint), would Sandy actually considering parting with him for the right player?  I'm not saying Sandy would make a move like that unless it was an absolute slam-dunk kind of move for the Mets, but let's face it, Zack is about as untouchable as it gets around here.  I wonder if Sandy would even consider making him available if there was a player out there he really really wanted. 

That you are...12 home runs in April. Just insane. The Braves are going to be very hard to compete with over the next couple of years if the Wilpons do not spend money. 

I think the Wilpons will spend cash.  I think it's more Sandy at this point.  He wanted to build up the farm first and clean up as much of Omar's mess as possible.  We've talked about it a lot, but clearly the organizational plan for the '12-13 offseason was to keep Wright and make him the cornerstone, and punt away 2013 at the major-league level...you'll never get Sandy to admit the latter, but his moves showed otherwise.  There's guys both in the field and in the starting pitching rotation that flat-out aren't going to give their team a shot at winning many games.   

The Wilpons might come off as incompetent and out-of-touch at times, but they HAVE spent money in the past...most of the problem is that the don't spend it well, or have good "on-paper" moves blow up on them.  Jason Bay is a great example...seemed like a pretty good move at the time.  The good thing is it looks like they are going to FINALLY have some homegrown players who shouldn't cost them too much for a while, and some contracts coming off the books (like Santana's), meaning there should be money available.   

One big key is Ike Davis...he is starting to look like a bust offensively, or at the very least, a guy who can hit 25-30 HRs by accident, but can't really be expected to get you a hit when you really need one.  His possibly not being able to be a reliable everyday player is going to screw up the Mets' plans a bit.  Duda is an interesting alternative, but how will he field at first?  It's great that he seems to be able to find his way on base, but can he hit a little more?  And Zack Wheeler falling behind schedule isn't part of the plan either...clearly the Mets would love to have their #1, #2, and #3 starting pitchers cost-controlled for a while so they can spend elsewhere.   

I've pointed this out before, but remember that it took Frank Cashen about four years before the Mets were ready to contend.  It didn't happen overnight.  This is only Sandy's third full season here, and he inherited a mess when he was first brought aboard.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think the Wilpons will spend cash.  I think it's more Sandy at this point.  He wanted to build up the farm first and clean up as much of Omar's mess as possible.  We've talked about it a lot, but clearly the organizational plan for the '12-13 offseason was to keep Wright and make him the cornerstone, and punt away 2013 at the major-league level...you'll never get Sandy to admit the latter, but his moves showed otherwise.  There's guys both in the field and in the starting pitching rotation that flat-out aren't going to give their team a shot at winning many games.

Yep, the goal of this front office has been clear from day one. I've said this before but I'm sure we can dig up old posts of ours saying how the new front office won't really get to make their mark until post-2013 when a ton of salary comes off the books. I'm a little disappointed they haven't been more active than they have, and there is plenty of other roster stuff to quibble about, but it is what it is. Unless they make in-season trades, this coming offseason will definitely be the most intriguing one we've had in awhile, at least as far as adding MLB talent goes. The Wilpons have also claimed the payroll will return to Omar levels, though I'll have to believe it when I see it.

One big key is Ike Davis...he is starting to look like a bust offensively, or at the very least, a guy who can hit 25-30 HRs by accident, but can't really be expected to get you a hit when you really need one.  Him not being to be a reliable everyday player is going to screw up the Mets' plans a bit.  Duda is an interesting alternative, but how will he field at first?  It's great that he seems to be able to find his way on base, but can he hit a little more?  And Zack Wheeler falling behind schedule isn't part of the plan either...clearly the Mets would love to have their #1, #2, and #3 starting pitchers cost-controlled for a while so they can spend elsewhere.

I honestly don't think Ike being bad will mess with much. Duda doesn't belong in the outfield for one, so I don't personally view him as answer in LF anyway (thus if Duda moves to 1B, I don't think that opens a big hole in LF). I think he's a better hitter than Davis and he has plenty of 1B experience -- he actually played more 1B than OF in the minors. Edited by nmigliore

Casper Wells was DFA'd yet again. Poor guy has been dumped by three teams in the span of a month, but he'd still be a fantastic grab. I don't have much doubt that he'd be one of the four best outfielders we have on our current roster -- only Lucas Duda has a better career OPS+ than Wells, and like I mentioned above, Duda is hardly a long-term option in the OF.

Edited by nmigliore

Yep, the goal of this front office has been clear from day one. I've said this before but I'm sure we can dig up old posts of ours saying how the new front office won't really get to make their mark until post-2013 when a ton of salary comes off the books. I'm a little disappointed they haven't been more active than they have, and there is plenty of other roster stuff to quibble about, but it is what it is. Unless they make in-season trades, this coming offseason will definitely be the most intriguing one we've had in awhile, at least as far as adding MLB talent goes. The Wilpons have also claimed the payroll will return to Omar levels, though I'll have to believe it when I see it.I honestly don't think Ike being bad will mess with much. Duda doesn't belong in the outfield for one, so I don't personally view him as answer in LF anyway (thus if Duda moves to 1B, I don't think that opens a big hole in LF). I think he's a better hitter than Davis and he has plenty of 1B experience -- he actually played more 1B than OF in the minors.

Yeah, we're not being misled here, and in all fairness, I'd rather this, than Omar building a supposed "contending" team based on 10 "If" scenarios.  We knew we were going to have to be patient, but we also know that patience in 2013 is based on Sandy & Co. being willing to upgrade the major-league talent in 2014 and beyond.  If nothing of significance is pulled off by Opening Day 2014, the Mets are going to hear about it (even if it makes sense for Sandy to wait just a little longer...the '13 FA class isn't great).

Ike being bad may not kill the Mets, but it will be a major disappointment if he's a bust...I think he figured strongly in the Mets' "Team of the Future"...at the very least, I think the Mets thought they had a good defensive first baseman who would be a pretty good hitter too, and could play almost every day.  Even if Duda works out as Plan B, I think everyone involved with the Mets was really hoping for Plan A.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

No David Wright in tonight's lineup and it sounds like it's not a routine day off. Ugh.

On the positive side, Baxter is in RF again - that's now the 4th straight start vs a RHP. Sure seems like Byrd's playing time vs righties is coming to an end, if it hasn't already.

Edit: Stiff neck for Wright, day-to-day. Glad it's not a re-injury of the oblique.

Edited by nmigliore

Bad bullpen and a lame duck manager will make that happen. Harvey did throw 150+ in college once, but it's still very frustrating to see that.

And now we bring in Carson, which is hilarious.

Edit: and then Atchison to follow. It worked out but jeez, you have the tying run in scoring position with 1 out and you turn to a pair of pitchers who give up a lot of contact?

We really need to score some damn runs.

Edited by nmigliore

Watching the Mets gun on SNY (who knows how accurate it is) but I don't think Lyon has hit 90+mph all season on the fastball. 87-89. Got out of the 8th but he pretty much grooved Dobbs an 88mph "heater" that he flew out to left

Really? They'd better not lose this game.

Im not sure what Cowgill adds at this point. I'd cut him.

He can't be long for this roster. He isn't hitting and a mistake like that is probably going to damage his defensive reputation in the eyes of the manager, rightly or wrongly. Lagares can basically replace what he does. If they send him down, hopefully they bring up a player who might actually have some use -- like Lutz or Satin -- not another outfielder.

Parnell can't get a break tonight - Pierre leans RIGHT INTO the pitch and gets hit to lead off the inning.

Edited by nmigliore

Where the hell is den Dekker or Nieuwy?

den Dekker broke his wrist in spring training and Kirk stinks.

For the record, even if den Dekker was healthy, there's probably way he'd hit MLB pitching right now. He was awful when promoted to AAA last year. He'd probably whiff more than Kirk does. I really don't think he's going to hit enough to play everyday - I think he tops out as a 4th outfielder who can steal a bag, pop a homerun now and then, and play great CF defense.

Edited by nmigliore

LOL TC just walked Solano intentionally with a 1-2 count on him. This man deserves to be fired tomorrow.

I can't even do anything but laugh at this point.  And now 3-0 on Olivo the guy who doesn't walk :lol:

And with two out too...two outs, two strikes and you walk a guy that ain't Barry Bonds or even Giancarlo.