Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Mets got a few breaks plus did the little things right in the 9th. Tejada nicked by a pitch...break, but Kirk did a terrific job. He knew they were going back outside again after that backdoor slider froze him earlier in that AB. He went with the pitch and Tejada judged that ball perfectly...he was able to take the extra base

Two series wins.  Nice start. 

And God is Duda an absolutely terrible fielder.  He could stick in the majors as a 4th-outfielder/power off the bench, but teams like this one (rebuilding/poor record types) are going to be his only chance to be a starter.  The only way he's a starter on a good team is if someone ahead of him gets hurt, and there's no better options for that good team available. 

I'll be glad as players like that...the ones that remind you that the Mets aren't good YET...are upgraded.  It looks like the Mets could be an ugly but entertaining 70-92...maybe a little better if Niese, Harvey, and Gee all pitch well, and Wheeler is able to contibute this season.   

And in goofy numbers...John Buck has a batting average of .400, but an OB% of .391.  How is this possible?  To have a OB% lower than one's batting average, you have to basically never walk (Buck has walked once), and have some sac flies or sac bunts...though sac flies or bunts count as 0 for 0 in the calculation of batting averages, they count as 0-for-1 in OB% calculation.  So basically:

Buck is 8-for-20 in hitting.

Has drawn one walk (1-for-1)

Has two sac flies (0-for-2)

So for the season, he's 9-for-23, as far as OB% calculation goes. 

The highest number of at-bats a MLB player ever had in a full season that finished with this anomaly was Ernie Bowman, in 1963...in 125 AB, he had a batting average of .184, and an OB% of .181.  Even Jason Bay laughs at those numbers.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Ike Davis has been a complete joke to start the season, both at the plate and in the field. Sigh.

he really has. As that Utley roller was developing I said to myself "watch him either boot it or throw it into the dugout"

luckily Harvey bailed his team out again

Admittedly, my patience for Ike Davis and David Wright is pretty thin.  Wright's at least off to a decent start, but to me he'll still be a guy you can get out (and likely strike out) when you really need to do it. 

If Buck wasn't off to his absurd start, Davis would likely already start to hear it, even just seven games in...last year's sh!t shart is still plenty fresh in a lot of minds.  Facing Lee tonight probably won't help him much. 

Harvey...what else is there to say?  His two starts have been a joy to watch.

For his career to date (12 starts):

73.1 IP, 46 H, 19 ER, 30 BB, 89 K, 2.33 ERA 

And the BB have been better this season than last:  2.57 per 9 IP this season, compared to 3.94 per 9 IP last season.  This is all a puny sample of course, but that's still a hell of a beginning...he's only given up more than 2 ER in 2 out of his 12 major-league starts.  At any rate, he's a player that's a lot of fun to talk about.

I've been thinking recently about getting Giancarlo Stanton into this outfield...Miami is off to a horrible start and he's just floundering and likely just beaten down at this point. Much like 1998 with Piazza, this may be a good time to make a splash.

Syndegaard

Duda

Familia

Den Dekker 

Cash (not a ton...we are the Mets after all)

for

Stanton

That doesn't sound all that crazy does it? Do we need to shove another prospect in there? I mean Syndegaard is rated pretty highly...we know Duda's deficiencies but they can stick him in the OF or at 1b. He CAN hit for power and get on base. Would Nimmo be a must for this trade getting done?

Edited by '7'

Need wayyyyy more than that 7. Stanton is one of the best players in the game, he's young, under control awhile. Behind maybe Harper and Trout, he's probably the 3rd most valuable asset (trade value wise) in baseball. All 30 teams would be in on him and bowling down Miami's door to get him.

Realistically, I don't think they move him until next winter. But any Stanton package will have to start with Harvey or Wheeler, and even then I don't think the Mets have enough unless the prospects behind them have HUGE years.

A team like Texas will probably try and get him with Profar and others.

Edited by nmigliore

Yikes...Gee is really taking it on the chin tonight.  Got a little unlucky in the 2nd inning, but this third inning...they are literally just teeing off.

Feel free to go get him any second now Terry...by all means, leave the poor guy in after he gives up 3 home runs in the inning...

Gee's velocity was much better tonight per PFX, averaged just under 90. Horrible results aside, that's certainly encouraging compared to last game where he was 88 and didn't hit 90 once. He's still not up to where he was last year, when he averaged just under 91, but I wouldn't really expect him to be. At least this is a step in the right direction in that regard.

Edited by nmigliore

This was just a bad matchup for us. Lee was dealing for the most part (we did hit some hard at'em balls though) and Gee was in full deer in headlights mode. Gee against this lineup is just a recipe for disaster

Buck keeps raking

Yeah, not going to make a big deal about Gee, that ballpark is silly, and it's one bad game.  The Mets' starting pitching had been terrific to that point...they were due for a clunker, and Gee's going to be a 4 or 5 type anyway if all goes according to plan. 

I just thought Collins should've gotten him out of there earlier in that third...Gee clearly had nothing.  I probably would've gotten him out of there after the second dinger, and definitely after the third.  I'm not going to harp on Collins' moves too much though...he was really hired to be a stopgap manager, until the Mets were ready to contend again.  There's enough "ifs" in place that, if everything broke right, the Mets have a slight chance at the upper-70s in terms of win totals, but like we've all said, lower 70s is probably where they wind up, which will give the Mets their excuse not to re-sign Collins.  If the Mets wind up with a win total pushing 80, it would be interesting to see if they were open to the idea of retaining Collins, even if that wasn't in their original plans. 

Re:  Buck...I'd have to search through his game logs, but he's probably never had an 8-game burst like this in his MLB career...which means he has a shot at a career year, if he simply has a typical Buck year from here on out, though it's hard to fathom that D'Arnaud won't be up here before too long, which would start taking away ABs from him.  How great would it be if Buck was hitting, say, in the .270s with 10+ dingers and 40+ or so RBI a week before the trading deadline?  If the Mets are willing to pick up most (if not all) of what's left on his deal, maybe they get a contender to cough up a low-to-mid level prospect.     

TC was probably reluctant to pull him because the bullpen was just used pretty heavily on Sunday, that and the Mets don't have a true longman type out there. Unfortunately TC seems to have identified the side-arming/should-be-a-matchup-guy Greg Burke as his defacto longman, which I don't like. His arm will probably fall off if the Mets keep using him like that; he's thrown nearly 70 pitches over the last three days.

Edited by nmigliore

I just didn't like seeing Gee being left out there...I know sometimes you have to suck it up for the team/bullpen, but there's a difference between battling through a "meh" day and having absolutely nothing.  It's not that big a deal...I just felt bad for him. 

Not pretty for Wheeler so far in his two AAA starts, though the ERA is decent at 3.12.  The rest of the numbers aren't so good:

2 starts, 8.2 IP, 11 H, 6 R (3 ER), 6 BB, 9 K, 1.96 WHIP

I'm guessing he'll be here before the season's over, barring injury or disaster, but clearly he could still use more seasoning. 

Were either of the starts at home? I know Vegas is supposed to be a bandbox, that's a big part of the reason I'd have been okay with him coming to the Mets now, don't really want him being messed up by the AAA Coors.

That league in general is a disaster...that's why me, nmig, and many other Mets fans don't like the fact that the Mets' AAA team is now in Vegas.  Teams finish with .300 BAs in the PCL, and team ERA are often 5.00 or higher.  I'm hoping Zach is here by midseason, just to get him out of there.   

Both starts were road starts (Sacramento and Fresno). 

They were both road starts and Sacramento is actually one of the more pitcher-friendly parks in the PCL. I watched last night and he was better than the previous outing. Much better command of his breaking stuff. Still walked one too many and Fresno put some good swings on him; it happens. But yeah, no reason he can't get more seasoning there. 

re: AAA - Las Vegas is a horrible spot because the park is one of the better hitter's parks in all of minor league baseball, the league in general is very offense-heavy, and the location blows for whose MLB affiliate is on the east coast. The sooner they get out of there, the better. Like I said before, it's too bad Buffalo didn't work out better, it was such a great fit.

Edited by nmigliore