Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

And it all started with Murphy refusing to take the walk Ottavino was handing him with the bases loaded.

Yes I remember that. Fouled off a pitch at his eyes and swung and missed at a ball at his feet. I guess he thought 8 was enough

The 1993 uniforms are fitting for this abomination

didnt see the play...but i mean his range is pretty bad. Anything 2 feet to his left or right is going to get passed him. Plus even when he comes up with it the best he can do is these lollypop throws to 1st with his weak arm

Only the mets lose games like this. I mean two almost tee ball errors in an inning. This kind of unclutch gag job baseball started in the Omar era and we havent been able to shake it yet.

I wouldn't go too crazy about unclutch yet...this is a team in transition.  If Tejada doesn't get it straightened out, he won't be here for too long.  Wright is what he is in the field...he's going to be at third base for a long time, so gotta deal with it.  I'm starting to worry a little about Gee, but Colorado is a goofy place, which is why I'm also not going to make too big a deal about what happens there.

Wright may not be a guy I have much confidence in with the game on the line, but he's quietly put up nice numbers through 13 games...important, in that if the Mets were off to, say, a 4-9 start and he wasn't hitting, he'd be hearing it.  His year hasn't FELT as good as his stats suggest, but at least when Met fans discuss him, the discussion will end with, "Look at the numbers...overall Wright's been pretty good!"

Could someone remind Ike that April and May count too?  This is getting ridiculous. 

Yea a lot of late inning walk off losses to them. I remember a couple of years ago at citi we lost like 4 straight to them, bullpen pretty much blowing each. And David Wright missed a game winning grand slam  in one of the games because he hit it up against the wall right in the deep well of the idiotic mo's zone. That was the death knell for that stupid idea

What's happening with Tejada is strictly mental...either laziness or some sort of Chuck Knoblauch thing...well it hasn't developed into that yet but he's not throwing high and wide on very tough plays. Once this seeps in psychologically it's tough to get rid of (mackey sasser)

Regarding Tejada: it's been an ugly 2-week stretch, but it's still 2 weeks, and for his career, he's handled the position solidly enough (about a league average defensive SS per UZR and DRS). He's been incredibly frustrating in the field this year, but I'm not terribly worried just yet. Also, he's swinging a lot less at pitches out of the strike zone this year and making more contact:

Career O-Swing%: 25.6

2013 O-Swing%: 20.7

Career Contact%: 85.7

2013 Contact%: 91.8

It's only 52 PA, but plate approach stats like that do stabilize pretty quickly. IF Tejada can keep up what he's doing at the plate (which has led to more walks and less strikeouts), he might be able to provide a decent amount of offense (league average or so) which would put less pressure on his defense. I'm not saying I would bet on any of this by any means, but it's at least a silver lining in what's been a tough couple of weeks for Ruben.

---

Regarding Gee: his velocity was back to where it was in his first start, where he failed to even hit 90 mph (again, he averaged just under 91 mph last season). I can give Gee a pass given the frigid conditions, but I'm still concerned.

---

One last thing: unfortunately, we'll be getting another dose of Laffey on Saturday, which is why TC pulled him so early last night. Amazed that nobody in the organization can see how bad this guy is.

Edited by nmigliore

Familia coming up, Burke going down. Fresh arm after the heavy bullpen use yesterday, plus another double header tomorrow looking likely.

Edit: today has been postponed. One game definite for tomorrow, TBD if they play 2. Boy I hope they skip the 2nd game... would be great for the players' sake and travel but also would get Laffey out of the rotation for the weekend. Instead it would be: Niese tomorrow, Harvey-Hefner-Gee vs Nats. 

Edited by nmigliore

Alright great, tomorrow is officially just a single game. Mets confirmed the rotation will be Niese tomorrow, and then Harvey-Hefner-Gee for the weekend series vs the Nats. So the team gets out of Denver early and Laffey gets booted from the rotation, good.

AdamRubinESPN Travis d'Arnaud bruise of left foot. Non-displaced fracture of first metatarsal. In walking boot.

Agh. Kind of a freak injury but it's not going to help his "he can't stay healthy" rep.

Edit: sounds like he'll be about awhile,maybe not returning until the 2nd half. Man, this stinks.

Edited by nmigliore

Can't get on TC for this bullpen meltdown; pulled Edgin at the right time, went to the most dependable non-Parnell arm, just didn't work. Ah well.

Ii'm glad the team is finally coming back home but let's be honest, the Mets had one of the weakest schedules to start the year and they had to do better than 7-7. It's still very, very early but don't be surprised if this is where things start to head south.

Edited by nmigliore

Can't get on TC for this bullpen meltdown; pulled Edgin at the right time, went to the most dependable non-Parnell arm, just didn't work. Ah well.

Ii'm glad the team is finally coming back home but let's be honest, the Mets had one of the weakest schedules to start the year and they had to do better than 7-7. It's still very, very early but don't be surprised if this is where things start to head south.

They weren't going to do much better...I had them at 8-6 at best.  Really I had them at 8-8 without the cancellations with a 2-1 in Minnesota and a 1-3 in Colorado.

If they don't win the Harvey-Strausberg showdown tomorrow it could be another very ugly weekend against the Nats.

Well, they'll be better once Marcum comes back, and Frank Francisco will solidify the pen somewhat, even if he isn't all that great, all we need is the 2008-2011 Francisco. So I think the Mets will get better and likely stay at around .500 until late June or so.

We all know this team is about a 70-win club...maybe a few more with some breaks.  They're really aren't too many "should win" games on their schedule.  If I'm a Met opponent, the only starting pitcher I'm afraid of is Harvey.  Niese is clearly a solid major-leaguer who can be a good #3, but not one to strike fear into opponents.  Beyond them, as we know, it gets ugly fast, at least for the foreseeable future, and if Gee is in for a bad year (it's one thing if Hefner and Laffey blow, but Gee is supposed to be part of the program).  So for what will soon be five turns in the rotation, we have one guy we feel confident in, another we feel pretty good about, and very little confidence in the other three.  When Harvey inevitably begins to lose some starts, either due to decrease in performance or lack of run support, it will get ugly in a hurry.

And the John Buck show is clearly coming to an end, but it was fun while it lasted.  That mega-start pretty much ensures that he should have good enough numbers by the trading deadline, that a contender looking for a catcher (to possibly replace an injured one) might come calling.  If he's around .250 with 10+ HR and 40+ RBI in mid-July, he could fetch a mid-tier prospect...at any rate, with D'Arnaud getting hurt, Buck will be getting lots of ABs. 

Some positives:

14 RBI for Wright through 14 GP, only 10 K on the season (with 11 BB).  Other numbers are good too.  It's only 14 games, but at least he avoided an Ike Davis-type start...important when one signs a big contract, like he did.

1.020 OB+SLG for Murphy so far.  One thing I have to give him credit for...he seems determined to get the absolute most out of what seems like slightly above-average talent.  If he learns to take just a few more walks in time, he has a chance to be a pretty good everyday player, even on a good team if he's surrounded by the right talent.  This year could go a long way towards establishing whether he's a good-team or bad-team player.   

I guess what I meant was if we they are going to be one of those surprise teams this year (incredibly unlikely, I know, but we've been through this a million times on not giving up on 2013), they should've done a little better than .500 with teams like San Diego, Miami, Minnesota, and Colorado on the slate. Three of those teams won less than 70 games last year and even the Phillies were very mediocre. Really, they didn't do that badly, they were just 7-4 days ago, but they totally fvcked up the Colorado series.

I really shouldn't be making a big deal of this, the Colorado series just pissed me off.

Edited by nmigliore

Just bought tickets for tonight, couldn't resist. :lol: I'll be in the LF Landing (2nd deck). Mets.com is offering a Power Pack with this game, so you can get field level box seats for $39 each and it comes with a free soda, fries, and a choice of hotdog, burger, or pizza. I was going to get that but all they had was a section in RF near the foul pole, which isn't close to where I park.