Devils rumoured to be interested in Jonathan Bernier

SterioDesign

I've seen that rumour going on and going for awhile and Hockey 360 just posted this.

- Le nom de Jonathan Bernier continue de circuler activement au New Jersey.

- Les Devils auraient fait du Québécois une priorité afin de préparer "l"après Martin Brodeur".

- Oui, le meilleur gardien de l'histoire selon certains est proche de la retraite.

- La saison prochaine devrait être sa dernière.

- Bernier voudra-t-il encore jouer les seconds violons une saison de plus?

- Disons qu'être auxiliaire de Martin Brodeur un an avec le poste de partant assuré la saison suivante représente un défi plus stimulant que "pourrir" derrière Jonathan Quick à Los Angeles.

which in english means...

- The name of Jonathan Bernier continues to circulate actively in New Jersey.

- The Devils have made ​​the Quebecer a priority to prepare "l" after Martin Brodeur. "

- Yes, the best goalkeeper in history according to some is close to retirement.

- Next season should be his last.

- Bernier wishes he still playing second fiddle one more season?

- Let's say being Martin Brodeur's backup for a year with the starting job next season provided a challenge more challenging than "rot" behind Jonathan Quick Los Angeles.

Edited by SterioDesign

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol so you guys would want to keep Hedberg for one last season and then "lose our 2 goalies at the same time and who fvcking knows whats up then", instead of getting a solid backup who could really potentially become our starter for the future? Great guys great

Edited by SterioDesign

Wedgewood is gonna be our goalie, kids a beast

lol so you guys would want to keep Hedberg for one last season and then "who fvcking knows whats up", instead of getting a solid backup who could really potentially become our starter for the future? Great guys great

Im in the business for winning now and honoring contracts to fan favorites and solid backups like hedberg. Have you seen this guy this year???? He's been spectacular

Sounds like the same yadda yadda that's been going on for the last two seasons. This is a very easy rumor to make up. Oh, the Devils have two old goalies? I bet that means they're trying to trade for [insert any young back-up goalie with potential to be a starter]. I don't see how it makes sense to trade for Jonathan Bernier right now though. We've committed to Marty and Moose for at least one more season after this one, and I doubt that Bernier wants to be our third-string goalie next year. Even if Hedberg was traded after this year for some reason, Bernier would still be the back-up to Marty. Maybe he'd get a few more starts behind Marty than he would behind Luongo but he's not going to be a starter and I doubt he'd even get 50% of the games, knowing Marty. By the time 2014 comes around we'll have a couple of goalies in our system who might be ready to get a serious look. So Bernier to NJ just doesn't make sense to me unless something major changes.

I don't see Bernier as a likely alternative here, but I wouldn't be sold on both Hedberg and Brodeur playing again next season.  I think Brodeur is pretty much a lock to come back at the money he's supposed to make, unless the Devils win the Cup this year and he wants to ride off into the sunset, which I don't see happening.  If I recall reading correctly, Hedberg took the 2 year deal in case there was a lost season this year.  There were some rumblings he was considering retiring/going back to Europe.

I think it might be a bit risky to carry a 41 yr old goalie and 40 yr old backup in a longer 82 game season next year, but maybe that's just me. 

The Devils would buy Hedberg out or put him in the minors in that instance.  And no, I'm not concerned about young goalies.  Kinkaid just got a 6 spot hung on him in 16 shots but before that he was doing well.  There's no reason to think that Bernier is better than anything that could be found on the free agent market.  He's cheap, for now, but he's totally unproven - a .909 SV% in 50 games.

4978:  He'd be UFA in 2016.

Edited by Triumph

No reason to think Bernier's any good w/ that Save % even at that high a pick that he was. Goalies come out of nowhere, Craig Anderson/Tim Thomas/Backstrom/Lundqvist/Nabokov/Crawford/Kipper/Halak/Rinne/Hedberg/Hiller/etc. Except the rarities like Price, it doesn't seem worth the investment to go out and pay that much for a goalie when you've got a bunch pro already. Montoya/DiPietro clearly haven't been worth it that high. Bernier so far no. Price is the exception. you could make the argument for Lehtonen that high, but w/ his injuries and for what ATL got out of him, probably not worth it.