attendance..

Beezer34

... this and also the timing of the start of the season.  VBK has always said in the past that attendance picks up after the NFL season ends and both the Jets and Giants missed the playoffs, so the NFL season ended here around New Years.  Plus the Nets are gone, but I don't know how much of an impact that has.

But the Devils have been discounting tickets - and just giving some away to STH's - as well.  Frankly, it's something they should've been doing for years.  Better to get something from a fan in a seat than nothing from an empty seat.

Yeah, but you do that too much and the sth's start complaining that you get better value by being a single-game ticket buyer/internet discount hunter.  

I think part of the reason you do see a steady climb in attendance is the 3500+ sth's they've gained in the last two years.  You have to have a steady base to get consistently high numbers.  And they're gaining them because the sth prices in many sections (particuarly the 100's) are low enough to compete with the 'StubHub plan' most fans were going on before then :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

They do enough inside incentives to keep STH happy that I don't think many care about others in the arena for less who went "bargain shopping" and had to take their chances looking for tickets.

Now they do, a few years ago before the Fan Experience Team really took shape (and before they slashed the sth prices in the 100 section), there was a lot of complaining about there not being enough incentive to buy sth's.  

Plus some of that depends how much you value the extras as a fan, personally I'm not sure you should be a STH if you DON'T value the team-related extras.  I've already sat behind the net in the lower bowl for a game and in a suite for another at no extra cost, so there's certainly some tangible benefits (also the f/b cards) even without stuff like the awards/practices/other team-related things.

Edited by NJDevs4978

+1 - In all honesty I think people were afraid to go to Newark. When the playoffs came they said screw it, I have to go see them. When they got there, they noticed they didn't have to drive through the projects, park in well lit areas, and the whole atmosphere around the rock was pleasant. That part of newark is not a "bad" area, but I mean 5 blocks away it can turn pretty quickly. 

If they were that afraid don't you think attendance would have been worse? Around Phoenix levels? These same people weren't afraid of Izod and they were drawing 14,000 in a 19,000-seat arena. The Joe Louis Arena's location didn't affect attendance.

I think the organization is finally staring to get their act together off the ice though there's still room for improvement, ie reaching out to the non-STH. Lockouts and condensed scheduling have VERY little to do with it when people have said they refused to go to games when the season finally started and they've sold out weeknight games vs the NYI and Carolina Hurricanes.

Edited by Marv4Life

I was in 215 and I'm pretty sure that was the most Flyers fan populated area. At worst it was 70-30 NJ, but overall I'd say it was 85-15 or 90-10. Such a refreshing change from a couple of years ago

Yeah what's up with the peeps in 215 selling their STH?!?! It was really the only section in the arena that had more than 5% Flyers fans. I was in 214, there were some orange d-bags in the back that got it REALLY bad at the end of the game, I mean REALLY bad. There were bottles chucked at them after the 5th goal, one of them threw their beer bottle at someone as he was walking out and at least 6-10 people in the first few rows threw sh!t on him, messed up his jersey pretty bad with beer and ketchup stains.

The d-bags in the back that were heckling Devils fans and cursing in front of kids earlier were thrown so many obscenities on their way down, they looked like they were about to cry. They were drunk as hell all game, I can't imagine how they didn't snap, they looked mortified and ready to explode.

Our fanbase has certainly grown some ginormous titanium balls this past year, which is something we've been missing for really long when playing against our rivals (for obvious reasons of our record with them in the 2000s).

Edited by DJ Eco

I love home ice, and protecting our house, especially from dbags like Flyers fans, but the beer throwing is what them and the Rags do. I'd rather we were better.

We definitely have way more swagger this year and less tolerance for bullsh!t from rival fans in our own building. Even when it was 3-1 after the first period last night, it was still pretty quiet from the Flyers' fans and when they did try to get loud, they got shut down quickly. It was really great to see.

Was at the game last night.  I very very rarely get the chance to sit downstairs and I usually like sitting upper levels for sight reasons but I sat in section 4 row 7 last night and really got a good look at the upper sections and that building was PACKED and LOUD.  It was a great feeling.  It was a great time!

On an unrelated note, was really hoping for a "We Still Own You" chant last night after the Devils took the lead in the third. The place seems packed, but wish the creative chanting continued from the second half of 2011-2012. If the crowd is still very young, we should be able to bring a college atmosphere at least in the uppers for games. Be it, heavy heckling of opposing goalies or chanting player's names after big goals. Would love to hear a "Clarky" chant in the same way as the "Marty" chant after big goals perhaps.

Maybe all this stuff happens, but hard to hear all the chants from TV.

Yeah what's up with the peeps in 215 selling their STH?!?! It was really the only section in the arena that had more than 5% Flyers fans. I was in 214, there were some orange d-bags in the back that got it REALLY bad at the end of the game, I mean REALLY bad. There were bottles chucked at them after the 5th goal, one of them threw their beer bottle at someone as he was walking out and at least 6-10 people in the first few rows threw sh!t on him, messed up his jersey pretty bad with beer and ketchup stains.

The d-bags in the back that were heckling Devils fans and cursing in front of kids earlier were thrown so many obscenities on their way down, they looked like they were about to cry. They were drunk as hell all game, I can't imagine how they didn't snap, they looked mortified and ready to explode.

Our fanbase has certainly grown some ginormous titanium balls this past year, which is something we've been missing for really long when playing against our rivals (for obvious reasons of our record with them in the 2000s).

What makes you think there are 'any' sth's in 215 to begin with?  At $29 a game almost in the corner, the only sth's up there are the handful who were paying $24 a few years back and got their prices frozen.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On an unrelated note, was really hoping for a "We Still Own You" chant last night after the Devils took the lead in the third. The place seems packed, but wish the creative chanting continued from the second half of 2011-2012. If the crowd is still very young, we should be able to bring a college atmosphere at least in the uppers for games. Be it, heavy heckling of opposing goalies or chanting player's names after big goals. Would love to hear a "Clarky" chant in the same way as the "Marty" chant after big goals perhaps.

Maybe all this stuff happens, but hard to hear all the chants from TV.

That stuff takes time and usually a dedicated section to get it going.

Marty chants and Marty's Better happen.

Kovy chants happen.

Henrique chants happen.

For now, those are the regulars.

I was in 215 and I'm pretty sure that was the most Flyers fan populated area. At worst it was 70-30 NJ, but overall I'd say it was 85-15 or 90-10. Such a refreshing change from a couple of years ago

. Good. We've finally said 'enough' with all the scumbag Rags and Phailures fans. We've sent the message that its our house, so stay the fvck out unless you wanna have a miserable time. They should know now if you come in wearing you're hideous orange or blue jerseys and act like an a$$hole, expect to leave in embarrassment. And expect to take your jersey to a dry cleaner I guess too lol.

That stuff takes time and usually a dedicated section to get it going.

Marty chants and Marty's Better happen.

Kovy chants happen.

Henrique chants happen.

For now, those are the regulars.

I love the chant from the movie the Wrestler. "You still suck" after the other team scores a goal.

Honestly, since I started driving and making it to games with friends starting a few years back, me and my couple of buddies have brought at least a dozen people to their first hockey game between us. I think hockey is a game that is not truly appreciated until you make it to a good game. Seeing the game being played, the crowd chanting, when the building is rocking, it's just a feeling that's hard to replicate elsewhere. That's what I think hockey has over other sports, that kind of intimate excitement because you're not nearly as far away from the action as you would be at a baseball game or football game.

The people who maybe came out for the playoffs last year that hadn't been to many games before, I think, felt what I described and the Devils organization did a good job of reeling these people in to be sth.

Edited by ATLL765

I love home ice, and protecting our house, especially from dbags like Flyers fans, but the beer throwing is what them and the Rags do. I'd rather we were better.

Believe me when I say that it was not unprovoked. Drunk guys and girls in Phailure jerseys cursing loudly in front of families with little kids, etc... The guy who got stuff thrown at him was the first one to throw his bottle at someone near my row. Taking things into our own hands when security doesn't have the balls to kick these scumbags out, it's a way of crowd control and partly the reason we're seeing less and less of these dirtbags coming back. They're having some of the worst most embarassing experiences in their short years of hockey/alcoholism and the more we humiliate them after they step out of the line, the less likely they are to come back anytime soon. And the Devils winning consistently is a big help.

Edited by DJ Eco

I love seeing less and less away team fans. It's our building and it's nice to finally see our fans say f*ck you to the rest of the leagues fans.

..agreed.

Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing the Nordiques fans in Newark this season.

Believe me when I say that it was not unprovoked. Drunk guys and girls in Phailure jerseys cursing loudly in front of families with little kids, etc... The guy who got stuff thrown at him was the first one to throw his bottle at someone near my row. Taking things into our own hands when security doesn't have the balls to kick these scumbags out, it's a way of crowd control and partly the reason we're seeing less and less of these dirtbags coming back. They're having some of the worst most embarassing experiences in their short years of hockey/alcoholism and the more we humiliate them after they step out of the line, the less likely they are to come back anytime soon. And the Devils winning consistently is a big help.

Our fanbase is not devoid of idiots, but no fanbase is, except Nashville apparently where there was a fight at a game this week for the first time ever, which is amazing to me.

Back to my point though, whenever there's alcohol involved, there's going to be idiocy. I was in sec 212 for the game on Tuesday against Carolina and I should have expected it since it was a college night game, but one Devils fan was incessantly raining down the dumbest insults I have ever heard on a Canes fan a couple rows down. I let it go for a while since the Canes fan was engaging him back and it hadn't gotten too obnoxious yet, but by the 3rd, all this guy was yelling at the Canes fan, who at this point had ignored this guy for the past hour, was things about his junk and liking dick. To make it worse, his white trash gf was egging him on. I finally told him to just stfu and let me watch the damn game. I mean there were little kids right in front of me and this guy was going all game.

Imo, the way heckling works at a sporting event, is that you keep the insults sports or geography related and no one should care so long as you're not screaming swear words constantly in front of kids. It's when people gotta start yelling about how the other guy is a pos or anyone mentions a female, that's when things go downhill fast.

• Like 1

The only thing I hate about the Rangers and especially the Flyers fanbase is they go into opposing arenas with some of them having the intention to cause problems. If you go into an opposing arena you should mind your manners. I dont care how they behave in their building but show some respect when you are on the road.

Edited by Zubie#8

The only thing I hate about the Rangers and especially the Flyers fanbase is they go into opposing arenas with some of them having the intention to cause problems. If you go into an opposing arena you should mind your manners. I dont care how they behave in their building but show some respect when you are on the road.

Completely agree. I see Flyer's fans as the most antagonistic, but the Ranger's fan's are generally more douchey. Flyer's fans are just always too drunk and too ready to fight over anything.

Completely agree. I see Flyer's fans as the most antagonistic, but the Ranger's fan's are generally more douchey. Flyer's fans are just always too drunk and too ready to fight over anything.

Speaking of Flyers fans, got this gem last night during the 2nd intermission

u6y4a9y5.jpg

• Like 1

Flyers fans more than Rangers. Rangers fans don't have that whole Broad Street Bullies mentality, many of them are our neighbors or coworkers. But the scumbags that come on a circlejerk bus from Philly come drunk and with their chests pumped out. When their team gives them anything to cheer about, they instantly become drunk hooligans and our security are too pansy to take any of them out. There was security around 214 that was personally ushering a Devils family out of the arena from 3 Philly chicks drunkly cursing them out, instead of just kicking the 3 Philly chicks out. Get your priorities straight, security!