GDT: Hunger games, who will survive...part 1 (Philly @ NJ) 7:30 EST

Devil Fan

On the contrary, looking at the coaches decision making when faced with adversity is pretty important in my opinion. Nothing about how he managed the team during the streak made any sense. The mentality of every pro-sport team should be that they are going undefeated (in this case 48-0) and the mentallity after every loss should be that they are going to go 47-1, 46-2 and so on untill the season is over. That's fvcking bullsh!t, you give maximum effort every night and you don't forget a lossing streak like we just had which almost tanked our season, because no team wins every night.

The decisions he made were approved by Lou also. Anything that happened via players been scratched/called up needs to go through Lou. If it didnt make any sense then Lou wouldn't approve it. I'm not a fan of some of the things Deboer did in that stretch but they know way more than we do.

On the contrary, looking at the coaches decision making when faced with adversity is pretty important in my opinion. Nothing about how he managed the team during the streak made any sense. The mentality of every pro-sport team should be that they are going undefeated (in this case 48-0) and the mentallity after every loss should be that they are going to go 47-1, 46-2 and so on untill the season is over. That's fvcking bullsh!t, you give maximum effort every night and you don't forget a lossing streak like we just had which almost tanked our season, because no team wins every night.

That way of thinking is good in theory but it totally impractical. It totally ignores the fact that there is another team out there wanting to win as well. To believe that every devils loss is because of something the devils failed to do is silly. While every aspect of the devils broke down at some point in the streak, there were plenty of times we just got beat or just had bad puck luck.

Besides if every team is usually good for at least bad stretch per season and that is now different now outside if Anaheim and Chicago. Would you rather the devils go through the suck stream late feb/ early march or end of April?

On the contrary, looking at the coaches decision making when faced with adversity is pretty important in my opinion. Nothing about how he managed the team during the streak made any sense. The mentality of every pro-sport team should be that they are going undefeated (in this case 48-0)  and the mentallity after every loss should be that they are going to go 47-1, 46-2 and so on untill the season is over. That's fvcking bullsh!t, you give maximum effort every night and you don't forget a lossing streak like we just had which almost tanked our season, because no team wins every night.

:doh1:  On second thought ... :haha2:  

That way of thinking is good in theory but it totally impractical. It totally ignores the fact that there is another team out there wanting to win as well. To believe that every devils loss is because of something the devils failed to do is silly. While every aspect of the devils broke down at some point in the streak, there were plenty of times we just got beat or just had bad puck luck.

Besides if every team is usually good for at least

Who said I'm ignoring the other team? That is how every pro sport team should be run, believe you are going to win. I'm not upset about lossing as much as I'm upset with how we are lossing. The first half of the lossing streak the whole team played poorly, somewhere in the middle the team started playing well and moose starting just lossing games ( moose and some defensive breakdowns but moose should have stopped some shots). The decision to constantly remove good d-men while keeping our worst performing d in, and not benching moose after 2 games being pulled is a little ludacris.

Sneax has to be John maclean!

I didn't read all the back & forth but DeBoer has been great. He has something most lack: patience. He knows exactly what he's doing even if what he's doing is gaining a little insight.

Personally I think he's got a really strong presence too. That whole he's lost doesn't know what he's doing stuff... Not DeBoer. Not even close to the mark. And I like sneax - one of my fave new posters

• Like 1

I didn't read all the back & forth but DeBoer has been great. He has something most lack: patience. He knows exactly what he's doing even if what he's doing is gaining a little insight.

Personally I think he's got a really strong presence too. That whole he's lost doesn't know what he's doing stuff... Not DeBoer. Not even close to the mark. And I like sneax - one of my fave new posters

Well obviously he has patience considering he played moose for as long as he did. Don't know that patience was the answer there. I do know the players like him, but sometimes someone has to be the bad guy.

And why thank you, I happen to also be one of my favorite new posters.

Edited by Sneax

Good post.  I agree about DeBoer.  I don't with your last comment. ;)

Well obviously he has patience considering he played moose for as long as he did. Don't know that patience was the answer there. I do know the players like him, but sometimes someone has to be the bad guy.

And why thank you, I happen to also be one of my favorite new posters.

You don't put an inexperienced goalie in when the back up has become the #1 goalie due to the injury of the regular #1 goalie.  Doing that would demoralize more than the goalie, it would demoralize the team.  Neither Frazee nor Kinkaid would be better than almost any experienced goalie at this point in their careers.  Experience cannot be learned from talk, reading or watching tapes.  It is something that is learned by doing. If they are put in and get walloped that guy is going to get his confidence fractured.  Never want to do that.  Besides then you would complain about DeBoer putting in an inexperienced goalie when the losses pile up.  :whistling: 

Here's a thought. DeBoer is such a passive aggressive fvck that he is in fact aggressive. He's playing on all he has. Mooses's sense of comradery and pride. Moose is really all we have and yelling doesn't cut it. It's a hit to DeBoer's not emotional bank account but like that.

You don't want to give a guy enough rope to hang himself you want him to succeed. And the team needs to help Moose. DeBoer can't alienate him without hurting his credibility with the team. It's too soon somehow. It just is.

Man typing on my phone with no time. I hope this makes sense... DeBoer is an ultra calm manipulator. As with the best manipulators, he's dead honest and willing to trust. To be a torts with this team is to instantly lose them

Good post.  I agree about DeBoer.  I don't with your last comment. ;)

You don't put an inexperienced goalie in when the back up has become the #1 goalie due to the injury of the regular #1 goalie.  Doing that would demoralize more than the goalie, it would demoralize the team.  Neither Frazee nor Kinkaid would be better than almost any experienced goalie at this point in their careers.  Experience cannot be learned from talk, reading or watching tapes.  It is something that is learned by doing. If they are put in and get walloped that guy is going to get his confidence fractured.  Never want to do that.  Besides then you would complain about DeBoer putting in an inexperienced goalie when the losses pile up.  :whistling:

we were already piling up the losses and alot of 5 goal against games. I fail to see how it could have been worse. Would have given moose some much needed rest, and there is always teh chance that one of those kids is actually pretty good.

we were already piling up the losses and alot of 5 goal against games. I fail to see how it could have been worse. Would have given moose some much needed rest, and there is always teh chance that one of those kids is actually pretty good.

Did  you even read what I posted?  There is a reason you don't replace #1 with inexperience.  Would you trust a pilot with experience or no experience?  Give him a chance eh?  Couldn't be worse that a pilot who has some iffy take offs and landings.   That doesn't work in hockey or the real world.  This isn't Vegas and hockey isn't a game of chance.  Well yes, let's use Vegas.  The odds are against you 100-1 with inexperience and 5-1 with experience from a goalie that isn't built to play every single game.  One of the players said after a recent game that they felt bad for Hedberg because they weren't helping him.  It is a team sport and all the pieces have to mesh.  The player blamed the losses on the rest of the team and not Hedberg.

Here's a thought. DeBoer is such a passive aggressive fvck that he is in fact aggressive. He's playing on all he has. Mooses's sense of comradery and pride. Moose is really all we have and yelling doesn't cut it. It's a hit to DeBoer's not emotional bank account but like that.

You don't want to give a guy enough rope to hang himself you want him to succeed. And the team needs to help Moose. DeBoer can't alienate him without hurting his credibility with the team. It's too soon somehow. It just is.

Man typing on my phone with no time. I hope this makes sense... DeBoer is an ultra calm manipulator. As with the best manipulators, he's dead honest and willing to trust. To be a torts with this team is to instantly lose them

Totally agree.  He plays it cool.  That is the lawyer in him.  Never let the opponent see you sweat. :)

Did  you even read what I posted?  There is a reason you don't replace #1 with inexperience.  Would you trust a pilot with experience or no experience?  Give him a chance eh?  Couldn't be worse that a pilot who has some iffy take offs and landings.   That doesn't work in hockey or the real world.  This isn't Vegas and hockey isn't a game of chance.  Well yes, let's use Vegas.  The odds are against you 100-1 with inexperience and 5-1 with experience from a goalie that isn't built to play every single game.  One of the players said after a recent game that they felt bad for Hedberg because they weren't helping him.  It is a team sport and all the pieces have to mesh.  The player blamed the losses on the rest of the team and not Hedberg.

Totally agree.  He plays it cool.  That is the lawyer in him.  Never let the opponent see you sweat. :)

OK your totally right. You just keep playing hedberg, its not like we lost alot of winnable games because of that decision. Also thatpilot analogy is complete sh!t, it doesn't apply at all. If I got on a plane with a guy that's crashed his last  5 planes, or the option of going with the noobie who hasn't crashed yet. I'm going with the noobie. When your goalie is letting in routine saves in great frequency its mainly on the goalie not the team. You seem to really be searching for an analogy that makes your point, your going to have to keep searching, because hedberg should have been benched at some point in that lossing streak, even if the option to replace him was a rookie. Moose was playing about as poorly as any rookie goal tender coould have played, at least by going with the young kid you have the chance that he can play well.

It wasn't a vegas roll of the dice, both players that came in relief of moose kinkaid, and frazzee showed that they could potentially play well enough for us to win. Kinkaid stopped a fvcking steve stamkos breakaway for gods sake. I think you should go back and rewatch the horror show that was moose in the skid. He deflected a cross ice pass into his own net at one point.

Sorry eagle. Just saying humiliating a respected team leader is not something you do lightly. You wait for the team to tell you it's time. If you do not -- you lose the team and you're in more trouble than you bargained for. It's this teams MO to boot. The winning does not make up for what they see as a breach of trust. And it's why we lost Parise if you need an example of how far reaching fvckin around like that is

Great win. Relaxing!! Sorry to digress :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn