Pens have deal in place for Stars Morrow

PimpinAintParise

Sutter, Morrow, Kunitz, Neal etc. I just don't understand how Pitt manages to keep adding solid talent.

Sutter they traded the GREAT Jordan Staal for.  Kunitz they traded Ryan Whitney for (then a serviceable and still relatively young PMD).  Neal was straight out robbery.

Staal, Goligoski, Ryan Whitney, Joe Morrow

Yeah, but they've always received something decent in return.

We should go all in to sign Malkin after 13-14

I mean I hate the Pens, but you gotta give Shero credit. He has a win and win now attitude every season with the talent he acquires.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Yeah, but they've always received something decent in return.

We should go all in to sign Malkin after 13-14

I mean I hate the Pens, but you gotta give Shero credit. He has a win and win now attitude every season with the talent he acquires.

They have two generational talents centering average to above average wingers. Neal and Kunitz are solid, but they aren't Richard candidates lol Edited by SMantzas

Pens have two of the best players in the world, which helps other guys around them look and play better.

That said, they'll have some unique roster decisions over the next few years.  They still have Paul Martin's 5m per draped over them for two more years.  Letang and Orpik are both only signed for one more year and at least for Letang, he's going to get a significant raise from the 3.5 he's making now, probably into the 6m-6.5m per range.  Orpik is less likely to be kept with the Pens bringing up a number of D prospects recently and over the next few years (Despres/Maata).

At forward, they're going to be faced with a unique decision on Pascal Dupuis this offseason.  While I think Dupuis would likely take a discount to stay and play with Crosby, he's going to expect a significant raise from the 1.5m he's been getting.  They also only have Kunitz signed for one more year, who will be 34 then.  Sutter is only signed for another year, and he's going to be due a significant raise from the 2.7m he's making next year.

Like I said with the UFA headaches they'll have after next season we should try and lure Malkin.

Since Malkin and Kovy are starring in teen "shoot yourself in the face if you ever are forced to watch one of these" movies in Russia together, we should leverage that connection and get him over to NJ.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Like I said with the UFA headaches they'll have after next season we should try and lure Malkin.

they'll gladly toss the other guys overboard (minus Crosby) to pay Malkin whatever he wants. You can replace Kunitz and all their defenseman except maybe Letang bc he's unique but you can't replace Malkin. I think Crosby even said he knows Geno's cap hit's gonna be higher than his 

I was talking about this with my brothers the other day and basically we thought it would be in Malkin's best interest to leave Pitt. I don't know if he would leave but we were saying that:

A) if malkin wants to be "thee" guy then he should leave Pitt. He gets treated as Crosby's sidekick way too often.

B) if he went to a team that didnt have another ridiculous near 9m cap hit contract on the books (like how it is in Pitt with him and Crosby) then he would likely be able to play with better players.

C) Malkin has always played his best when Crosby is out of the lineup. Well, maybe the best he ever played was their cup run where he was dominant, but the majority of the time you get the best out of malkin when Crosby isn't around.

D) This is probably the least important, at least I think it would be, but alot of the Russian players like playing together. There's a lot of emphasis put on the Russian connection in free agency, and maybe malkin would like to go to a team with more players that speak his first language.

Just some thoughts, not saying he should come to NJ or even that the devils would be involved. I don't think the devils could take on essentially a max contract with vanderbeek has the owner. Obviously I would like them to try to get him, I just don't think that's realistic at all. These are just reasons why I think he should leave pitt.

I was talking about this with my brothers the other day and basically we thought it would be in Malkin's best interest to leave Pitt. I don't know if he would leave but we were saying that:

A) if malkin wants to be "thee" guy then he should leave Pitt. He gets treated as Crosby's sidekick way too often.

B) if he went to a team that didnt have another ridiculous near 9m cap hit contract on the books (like how it is in Pitt with him and Crosby) then he would likely be able to play with better players.

C) Malkin has always played his best when Crosby is out of the lineup. Well, maybe the best he ever played was their cup run where he was dominant, but the majority of the time you get the best out of malkin when Crosby isn't around.

D) This is probably the least important, at least I think it would be, but alot of the Russian players like playing together. There's a lot of emphasis put on the Russian connection in free agency, and maybe malkin would like to go to a team with more players that speak his first language.

Just some thoughts, not saying he should come to NJ or even that the devils would be involved. I don't think the devils could take on essentially a max contract with vanderbeek has the owner. Obviously I would like them to try to get him, I just don't think that's realistic at all. These are just reasons why I think he should leave pitt.

A) Some players rather have a chance of winning the cup every year than always being "the guy"

B) I really do not know another team that would have better players for him to play around than Pitt.

C) See A

D) You are right.  It is not important at all and I really doubt he cares that much about it.