Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daniel

Merrill

31 posts in this topic

Michigan was eliminated (once again Feisty you're doing yeomans work) hopefully Lou gets him signed. Any chance he would get a few games at the end of the year? Probably not because he's missed so much time, but an interesting thought.

I definitely want to see this kid locked up already

With all his prior issues that very well may happen.

1 person likes this

With all his prior issues that very well may happen.

Lol I meant signed

If NJ signed Merrill, I imagine the contract would start in 2013-14 - can't remember the last time they signed a contract where this wasn't the case.  He would be eligible to play for the Albany Devils.

If NJ signed Merrill, I imagine the contract would start in 2013-14 - can't remember the last time they signed a contract where this wasn't the case.  He would be eligible to play for the Albany Devils.

True.  But I think they could bring him in on  a "tryout contract" for the remainder of the AHL season.  I think they will do the same with Boucher once his CHL season ends.

Aren't we at 50 after we claimed the Greek guy and signed Boucher?

Boucher's not there this year.  Neither would Merrill be.  Surprised NJ is at 48, though, I guess they did acquire 4 guys + Matteau's deal didn't slide..

Edited by Triumph

Boucher's not there this year.  Neither would Merrill be.  Surprised NJ is at 48, though, I guess they did acquire 4 guys + Matteau's deal didn't slide..

Okay, in that case.   They're at 37 if they retain every RFA.   Which they probably won't.

did the Devils made an offer to Merrill ? what is that guy talking about?

per Matt Slovin

David Conte, vice president of the #NJDevils, told me today the ball is in Jon Merrill's court now. The Devils expect decision soon.

i dont know who Matt Slovin is either.

Devils said last year and this that if Merrill wanted to go pro, they would offer him the contract. So that's the ball in his court. Once he shows interest in turning pro, they will give him a contract to sign.

matt slovin is the michigan university beat writer.  i forget how the process works because of the lol NCAA but i think merrill has to declare he's going pro, then the devils can offer him a contract.

michigan is a sinking ship anyway, trouba is probably leaving, doesn't seem like that good of a team right now.

matt slovin is the michigan university beat writer. i forget how the process works because of the lol NCAA but i think merrill has to declare he's going pro, then the devils can offer him a contract.

michigan is a sinking ship anyway, trouba is probably leaving, doesn't seem like that good of a team right now.

The fact that Michigan sucked and probably will suck next year bodes well for us.

FWIW if you go to the conversation that Feisty retweeted, another Michigan beat writer says 80 percent Merrill is leaving. Another guy claims to have spoken to Merrill's father and concluded the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

how the heck did the wolverines beat western Mich and Miami???  they looked horrible this year

what happened to the great Slubowski??!!

He really doesn't gain anything by staying at this point.  He's physically ready to play pro hockey and shouldn't risk a career ending injury (which could have happened to him this season had the neck injury been slightly worse) by remaining in school. 

Per Bob McKenzie

NJD prospect Jon Merrill, also a Univ of Michigan D, is also taking a couple of days to decide on his immediate future. Merrill is a Junior.

nothing new really he's just reporting it too

He really doesn't gain anything by staying at this point.  He's physically ready to play pro hockey and shouldn't risk a career ending injury (which could have happened to him this season had the neck injury been slightly worse) by remaining in school. 

He gains plenty if he doesn't want to be a Devil and/or wants to pick where he can go.  One more year and he can pull a Justin Schultz. 

He gains plenty if he doesn't want to be a Devil and/or wants to pick where he can go.  One more year and he can pull a Justin Schultz. 

I'm so tired of hearing this crap. Explain to me how that is a likely scenario given the number of prospects relative to the total number of players drafted, who chose that route over signing with the team that drafted them. If you can't do that and have the results show that it's a not only a possible outcome, but a plausible one, then please, put a lid on it.

Edited by ATLL765

Justin Schultz had a way better college career than Jon Merrill.  He'd have to make up the money he loses by not playing pro hockey next year (and subsequently when he comes off his ELC, as he'll come off a year later by staying the extra year).  That's not easy to do.

I'm so tired of hearing this crap. Explain to me how that is a likely scenario given the number of prospects relative to the total number of players drafted, who chose that route over signing with the team that drafted them. If you can't do that and have the results show that it's a not only a possible outcome, but a plausible one, then please, put a lid on it.

The fact that one guy did do it fairly recently, and had teams falling over him very publicly like women swooning over The Bachelor on ABC make it more likely that others will choose to go that route imo.  If nobody else does it in the next five years (and as Tri points out, they still have to sign a regular ELC so it'll be a 'few' years before they see real money) then fine, obviously it's not going to become commonplace.

Rookies can only be offered so much in their first contract. If he refuses to sign with NJ, it would be specifically because he doesn't want to be in Jersey. I think people are way to worried about this. 

Rookies can only be offered so much in their first contract. If he refuses to sign with NJ, it would be specifically because he doesn't want to be in Jersey. I think people are way to worried about this. 

Well he ain't getting the bonuses here, that's for sure.  That was sort of an issue with Larsson too till the last minute.  

Well he ain't getting the bonuses here, that's for sure. That was sort of an issue with Larsson too till the last minute.

Very few rookies ever hit those bonus targets anyway. Or at least that's what I remember hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD