All trade deadline talks & rumours

SterioDesign

But they weren't added during the craze and excitement of the deadline! Lou should have held off on those trades so that we could join in the fun.. Who cares if you add scoring pieces before the deadline?

Don't lump me in with the fans who want dramatic trades before the deadline.Lou knows what he's doing and he's the best GM in the league IMO. I guess I was being a little sarcastic in my posting.

Speculation on my part:

Stafford to Caps for Chimera.

Both have reportedly been traded, but nothing confirmed.

I would have loved to have either of those guys. Chimera brings a lot of speed.

Instead we get the guy who does the infommercials. Oh, that's Anthony Sullivan.

But they weren't added during the craze and excitement of the deadline! Lou should have held off on those trades so that we could join in the fun.. Who cares if you add scoring pieces before the deadline?

Sometimes it's like everyone forgets there's an offseason coming up, where buyouts will be flying around. Why in the world would Lou trade away important assets when he might not need to do so if he just waits and tries the UFA market. I have a strong feeling that these buyouts, *cough*cough* Luongo who just said in his press conference that his contract, "sucks", won't be trying to sign the biggest and best deal they can. They may look for just a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Eh overall I figured Lou would just make a depth move and nothing more.  Just icing on the cake that he is an ex-Devil lol.

I am glad he didn't trade away his first round pick this year.  The only way I would not be upset if he did was if we got someone along the lines of Vanek.

Because they're in the same spot we are.   There's really no point.    At least they're not complicated by having to erase a 1st round pick.

I was hoping someone would take a D off our hands for virtually anything, but I guess it didn't happen.    Oh well, on to hoping Marty doesn't retire so we can amnesty one of them.

Lou didn't want to move a D, he's obsessed with his eight-man army :rolleyes:

We're going to ruin Fayne's career, damage Larsson and keep guys like Volch unhappy because we have to hunker down 'in case' we lose two guys (as if we don't have kids in the minors that could be a #6 defenseman). For what will probably be like 12-17 games left in the season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Lou didn't want to move a D, he's obsessed with his eight-man army :rolleyes:

We're going to ruin Fayne's career, damage Larsson and keep guys like Volch unhappy because we have to hunker down 'in case' we lose two guys (as if we don't have kids in the minors that could be a #6 defenseman). For what will probably be like 12-17 games left in the season.

You ruin a guy's career by playing him 4 minutes less in 12 games (who by the way is 25 and goes UFA next July)?  That's news.  Sullivan will probably play the point on the 2nd unit PP which opens up options.  The Devils have gone into lots of playoff years with 8 men on D so expecting a D move today was ridiculous.

Edited by Triumph

You ruin a guy's career by playing him 4 minutes less in 12 games (who by the way is 25 and goes UFA next July)?  That's news.  Sullivan will probably play the point on the 2nd unit PP which opens up options.  The Devils have gone into lots of playoff years with 8 men on D so expecting a D move today was ridiculous.

do you see lou trading away some of the D during the offseason

its not ridiculous, youre talking as if our D is top notch and couldnt be upgraded just cause we have 8 dmen... its really ugradable in a good hockey trade

You keep harping on Fayne being UFA 'next' year as if he was supposed to be an expendable piece.  He was a first-pairing defenseman on a Finals team last year, and all of a sudden he can't see the ice on a consistent basis this year?  This doesn't strike you as odd?

A lot of the Devils' years with 'eight' D-man were rent-a-schlubs like Shmelik, or career journeymen like Sutton.  And they were acquired at the deadline, not here all year and beyond.  They have at least seven guys that can start in the NHL (and five guys who are being paid $3 million plus), plus Harrold who needs to stay because he's a cheap secondary option - though now he's being played like a primary option.  And yet the D's been struggling because guys can't find a rhythm.  It's no coincidence our two best guys this year - Greene and Zidlicky - are the ones that haven't been sat yet.

Edited by NJDevs4978