Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thelastonealive

Rumor Rater - Evaluating the Accuracy of Online Reports

7 posts in this topic

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/04/rumor_rater_how_accurate_are_n.html

To die-hard hockey fans, trade deadline rumors can produce excitement, anxiety and, frequently, outright vitriol when they don’t pan out. But just how accurate are they?

In an attempt to settle this question, The Star-Ledger analyzed every rumor published by three prominent hockey insiders – Єklund (2.3% accurate), HockeyyIndsiderr (the extra letters were likely required to secure a Twitter handle) and Spector’s Hockey – in the month leading up to the trade deadline. Each rumor was logged in a database and when the trade deadline passed at 3 p.m. yesterday, analyzed for accuracy and assigned a score akin to the NHL standings system. (see more about how this was done below)

At the end of the day, one of these insiders came out looking like a Stanley Cup contender, while the other two would more likely be holding a fire sale of its players at the trade deadline after a horrid season:

For those who don't know, Steve Sterling is a die-hard Devils fan, and used to blog with me at 2 Man Advantage, and helped myself and Joe (puckrock) found Intent To Blow. He's now a reporter at the Star Ledger.

I didn't need to click on the link to know Spector's has infinitely more credibility than the other two lol

True, but it amuses me to no end that Єklund (2.3% accurate) wound up with lower scores than even the Insiderrp.

I wish they included Incarcerated Bob so people would stop bringing up his 'rumors'. Just as bad as the other 2, but more hostile.

I think I suggested Incarcerated Bob to Steve. Not sure why he wasn't used - maybe not enough rumor-mongering? I don't actually follow IB, so I have no idea.

I think I suggested Incarcerated Bob to Steve. Not sure why he wasn't used - maybe not enough rumor-mongering? I don't actually follow IB, so I have no idea.

I wrote down his predictions and rumors last trade deadline. It was all smoke and mirrors. A lot unspecific "hearing rumbles out of Whatever City" but nothing specific. Then, if Whatever City made a trade of any kind, it was all "You heard it here first!"

I then unfollowed haha

Interesting that Єklund (2.3% accurate) guessed the Sullivan trade a few weeks ago haha.. I'm not sure anyone could've guessed that one..