JJ Recalled

jagknife

JJ has the same problem Zajac had when he was trying to break in.  They play without balls!  Josefson needs to play like he belongs or he's going to be gone.  Based on his performance this year he doesn't deserve another shot but because the team is desperate he's getting another chance.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ has the same problem Zajac had when he was trying to break in.  They play without balls!  Josefson needs to play like he belongs or he's going to be gone.  Based on his performance this year he doesn't deserve another shot but because the team is desperate he's getting another chance.

Hard to play like you belong when a few mistakes get you teamed with the Janssens and Barchs of the world.

Hard to play like you belong when a few mistakes get you teamed with the Janssens and Barchs of the world.

Truth. Lucky for him that this time, even if he ends of on the 4th line, he likely won't have either of those guys on his wings. I'm not saying it won't be Gionta and Kosto, but it's still better than Dumb and Dumber.

IDK about that.  He is slowly moving into Tedenby territory with his play regressing with each time he is up with the big boys.

What are you talking about? The last time he was up here he wasnt awful, but he was paired with Barch and some other scrub. He still did admirably, just didnt shoot enough. Plus, the guy is still young, give him a break. He was awesome during our cup run last season.

Very happy to see JJ back up.

What are you talking about? The last time he was up here he wasnt awful, but he was paired with Barch and some other scrub. He still did admirably, just didnt shoot enough. Plus, the guy is still young, give him a break. He was awesome during our cup run last season.

His stat line looks like this 85GP 5G 15A 20P +5. That +5 would have been better had he not been a -10 this season. I mean, that's not terrible, but it's not great either. The thing is JJ came in being drafted as thinking that he could be a 2C, he's probably not. I think at best we have an average to very good 3C, but I don't think he'll ever live up to his offensive expectations.

The hard part is that he's not really had a full season in the NHL or AHL. He had that thumb/hand thing a couple years ago, then last year broke his clavicle, he's had some bad luck. If he could only stick with the big club, I think he'd start doing better. It's just difficult for me to gauge his skill because of that. That and I don't see a lot of Albany games.

His stat line looks like this 85GP 5G 15A 20P +5. That +5 would have been better had he not been a -10 this season. I mean, that's not terrible, but it's not great either. The thing is JJ came in being drafted as thinking that he could be a 2C, he's probably not. I think at best we have an average to very good 3C, but I don't think he'll ever live up to his offensive expectations.

The hard part is that he's not really had a full season in the NHL or AHL. He had that thumb/hand thing a couple years ago, then last year broke his clavicle, he's had some bad luck. If he could only stick with the big club, I think he'd start doing better. It's just difficult for me to gauge his skill because of that. That and I don't see a lot of Albany games.

He's 22 lol. Plus, as you mentioned, hes been hurt a bunch...but, his playoffs last season demonstrated he got do a good job for the team. Hes better than whoever our 4th line center is anyway. And yes, i agree, we should hope he starts taking his game to that next level soon.

The problem with this mindset is Loikotonov was between scrubs for a few games too and did more to earn his way off that line than Josefson's done in eighty or so games.  And it's not like Josefson didn't get quality minutes on the PK and didn't do the job there.

Edited by NJDevs26

He's 22 lol. Plus, as you mentioned, hes been hurt a bunch...but, his playoffs last season demonstrated he got do a good job for the team. Hes better than whoever our 4th line center is anyway. And yes, i agree, we should hope he starts taking his game to that next level soon.

He's WAY better than everything on our 4th line. I just look at him and see Zharkov and cringe, thinking oh god, no, he'll be able to score eventually, right?!?!?

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a player play defense as well as Zharkov, make skilled plays, be fairly quick, but not be able to hit water from a boat when it comes to scoring. I just hope that JJ doesn't have whatever sickness Zharkov did, lol.

The problem with this mindset is Loikotonov was between scrubs for a few games too and did more to earn his way off that line than Josefson's done in eighty or so games.  And it's not like Josefson didn't get quality minutes on the PK and didn't do the job there.

Loktionov doesn't play defense as well as JJ. Though defense is more teachable than skill, it's still something JJ is very good at. While he may not be adding to the offense at all times or most times, JJ is not a net negative because his defensive skills are that good.

Edited by ATLL765

And thats why JJ was sent down to Albany. He deserved to go down and find his game. But, he's clearly got the talent, ability, and overall game to be a good top 9 forward. Lets hope he's figured it out now and can start fulfilling potential by helping us out again. JJ's shooting hasnt been his best attribute so far, but you can say the same for Zajac...

Edited by devlman

Guys I don't understand this? Nick Palmeri had more points with us then Tedenby and JJ have like combined. Why did we get rid of him and keep the two that don't score?

Like he totally doesn't.   Tedenby has 29 career points, dumbass Nick has 25 career points, and Josefson has 20.   

Nick's career highlight is going to be Kovalchuk bouncing pucks off him into the net.

Edited by maxpower

Never payed much attention but he seemed to bring more of an offensive upside and could land it in the net unlike Tedenby

He scored 9 goals in 10-11, Tedenby scored 8.   Tedenby is the better scorer, talent wise.   Just nobody has seen him do anything between that season and the one chance he against the Isles this year.

Nick is not at a good player at all and I'd be surprised if he gets back in the NHL unless there's expansion.

Neither will Tedenby if he can't start putting up points. He has this amazing talent at skating and skills but can't complete.

He'll get another camp.   If you're going to keep giving them the hook, they're not going to develop.    When you look at the way they've played offensively this year, he didn't really earn his hook.   He did last year.

He's a spazz defensively but it's not like he was going at a minus a game clip, either.

But how many more chances do you give him? I want nothing other then him to earn his spot on our team but we can't give a hundred chances either.

You can give him as many chances as you want.   He's not worth anything right now, and it's night like we have this incredible collection of minor league forwards, so what's the rush?

He'll get another camp.   If you're going to keep giving them the hook, they're not going to develop.    When you look at the way they've played offensively this year, he didn't really earn his hook.   He did last year.

He's a spazz defensively but it's not like he was going at a minus a game clip, either.

You can't earn a minus a game.  He might get another camp, but that's his choice, as he might go back to Sweden or go to the KHL - right now, he is not an NHL player, nor does it appear he will become one.  He earned his hook with how poorly he played last season.

Edited by Triumph

You can't earn a minus a game.  He might get another camp, but that's his choice, as he might go back to Sweden or go to the KHL - right now, he is not an NHL player, nor does it appear he will become one.  He earned his hook with how poorly he played last season.

Josefson was pretty close to a minus a game.

This year, Tedenby wasn't given much of a shot at all.    Now if he was a lesser brother of a Devils player, maybe he would have gotten more of a look.

He won't be given many more shots. JJ can play defense a bit. Tedenby gets beat at mostly everything and half the problems seems to be himself. Him not netting goals seems to be a confidence thing. He can't get his head into the NHL level theme he shouldn't be at it. I hope he can get it but of not, Sorry buddy.

To elaborate on the Palmeri point, he actually got a LOT more time on the first line than Tedenby or Josefson ever did too.  The fact he's even in the same ballpark with them pointwise after playing with Kovy/Zajac with half a season tells you all you need to know.  He only got to be on the top line cause he was a big body.

Josefson was pretty close to a minus a game.

This year, Tedenby wasn't given much of a shot at all.    Now if he was a lesser brother of a Devils player, maybe he would have gotten more of a look.

Like I said, you can't earn a minus a game.  Josefson was close to a minus a game because his linemates (and he) couldn't score, and the goalies couldn't stop anything when he was on the ice.  He in no way 'earned' that.

Tedenby was given 4 games, which was 4 games too many.  Where's the offense?  18 goals, 25 assists in 80 AHL games.  Not much offense in Sweden.  Not much offense in the NHL.